3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tarheels - 2011-2012 Season  (Read 2834 times)

Offline nc recurveman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tarheels - 2011-2012 Season
« Reply #80 on: June 26, 2011, 11:33:00 PM »
I started moving some of my stands around last week. I try to keep 5 stand hunt ready bait at least once a week, the prime stands get bait twice a week. I use all loc ons but, I week have to make a ground blind for one new spot this year
"You can't make chicken salad outta chicken sh.........Poo"

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: June 26, 2011, 11:37:00 PM »
Bad thing about summer scouting is ticks. I pulled five off me a while ago that were already attached. The little ones at that. I can barely see them.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: June 30, 2011, 09:24:00 AM »
You guys sound about ready. I am about halfway there, i have 4 ground blinds up (there for my Girlfriend and my best friends GF mostly) and no there not converted to sticks yet (im going to get my Gf a nice stick for christmas) shel be hunting the real way in no time  :readit:  Then i havee  my trusty Summit Bushmaster and 6 stands up 3 of which are salted and getting mauled by deer. Ive seen alot of deer, and im in college with all my classes between 10 and 2 so i can hunt everyday if i want too, so needless to say im pumped about this year.
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: June 30, 2011, 10:30:00 AM »
Checked my blinds again too. Also my tree stand. Lots of promise. July is upon us. Two months and a week to go....  :)

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: July 02, 2011, 12:27:00 AM »
Got my dad to check my camera behind my house as i am laid up, he came back with a grin. Theres an 8pt that looks to be about 16-18in wide comming all day everyday too the salt   :bigsmyl:  Now that by no means is a BIG deer, but for this stick slingin' mountain boy, its a plenty! Now if i can just keep my Girlfriend from finding out hes there....   :banghead:
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Offline bartcanoe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: July 05, 2011, 06:02:00 PM »
Bud,

How did the scout of Birkhead look?

Dave
Dave

US Army Retired (1984-2013)
Job 42:1-6

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: July 05, 2011, 06:34:00 PM »
I got all ticked up.

I took my male Brittany and so did he.

I entered at the Tot Hill entrance. About 1/4-1/2 mile in I found some old campsites by the dried up creekbed. Speaking of creeks, that one is bad. Mudholes from no rain and mosquito haven. But, if you're looking for a camping area it's a good spot. Not much deer sign. I did see where they were crossing the creek. On the opposite side of the creek there were several large oaks. They were so tall I couldn't see how many acorns thay had.

The only drawback to this area, or anywhere in Birkhead, is foot traffic. It is a very popular hiking place. If you want to get away from folks you'll have to go waaaay back. I passed a father and son team on the outbound.

I'll go back, but this time without the dog so I can cover more ground. He's too curious to make good distance for scouting.

I got in early and left the woods just after 8am. I was already drenched from sweat in the humid filled cover of the forest canopy.

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: July 05, 2011, 06:43:00 PM »
the big mama that i've been see'in for the past 3 yrs , is still around with a fawn in tow. there is also another doe in their company. the 8 point i took a shot at last yr is still here, yet he is still an 8 point. there is a fork horn with him. im wondering if its the spike i saw last fall too? definately some potential in my little patch of heaven gettin ready to go scout the croatan and see what activity is goin on. rv
" you have done well to keep your hair when so many are after it"

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: July 05, 2011, 06:46:00 PM »
i gotta say even without a trail came you learn to recognize individual deer i 'm recognizing different  feature's in certain individuals. and seein new ones too
" you have done well to keep your hair when so many are after it"

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: July 05, 2011, 08:39:00 PM »
Originally posted by broketooth:
i gotta say even without a trail came you learn to recognize individual deer i 'm recognizing different  feature's in certain individuals. and seein new ones too
I agree. I have a chocolate coated doe in my area whose late season coat is a nice brown instead of the gray. i haven't seen her summer coat yet.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: July 30, 2011, 07:07:00 PM »
Bump.

It's gettin' close. I was checking the two blinds and my stand today. Pics to follow.

I saw two spotted fawns racing through the woods about 15 yards from one of the blinds. Anxiousness sets in.......

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: July 30, 2011, 08:36:00 PM »
Ground blind #2

From 15 yards away on the deer trail

View from inside the blind at the Trophy Rock

CLoser view

CLose view of mineral rock

Zoom view from trophy rock towards the shooting window.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: July 30, 2011, 08:45:00 PM »
Ground blind #1 about 30 yards away from the other blind. I still need background cover.

View from inside the blind towards the deer trail about 12 yards away.

Treestand adjacent to blind #1

Offline LeverActionman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: August 02, 2011, 08:45:00 AM »
It would be nice to get together with a group and hunt.I don't have much land but we could hunt gamelands.I know of q couple nice spots.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: August 09, 2011, 10:14:00 PM »
OK Tarheels, one more month.

Are you ready?

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: August 09, 2011, 11:39:00 PM »
DANG SKIPPY. I got in both my new bows, (Custom selfbows from Kegan McCabe) and im wearing them in, so far i have a total of 8 shooter bucks on camera 5 of which are in daylight. The first deer that walks by me with that new selfbow is going to get it though i garuntee it! I have 11 different stands up, 3 blinds. So needless to say i cant sleep at night. What about you fellers?
------------
Dalton Lewis

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: August 10, 2011, 07:44:00 PM »
I'm not to the "I can't sleep" stage yet. I have caught myself looking at the edges of fields while driving hoping to see a deer. I saw a full velvet 6 point a few mornings ago in a vineyard about 1/4 mile from my house. I don't hunt near the house though. Too many houses too close.

Sound like you got it sweet Dalton. Post up photos of your opening day harvest when you get it:)

Offline T-D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: August 14, 2011, 04:24:00 PM »
Those blinds are sweet! The first one I couldn't even tell where it was.

I really appreciate all the hard work you have put in for my son this summer and he appreciates it too.

It won't be long my friend and we'll be hanging them up and telling great stories about the hunt. Until then ......

"Shoot'em in tha tenda's baby"    :biglaugh:
Resident Hog Slayer

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: August 14, 2011, 10:10:00 PM »
I got some practice shots from the tree stand today. I jumped a bedded fawn walking to the stand. I can smell venison hanging.

Then a heck of a storm blew through and ran me out of the stand and the woods.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: August 30, 2011, 09:32:00 PM »
OK Tarheels, where's the hunting excitement?

I have nearly worn out my block target from wally world (the yellow Buckmasers one I got late last season) and I'm not sure it'll last much longer.

My first day out I'm taking my Bear Super Grizzly I got when I was aroung 16. Some test firing from the stand has shown promising results. I've been hitting the 3d circuit also but that ended this past Sat.

Get'n the license soon.

Let's hear from y'all....  :)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©