3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Fred Bear Feather Chopper  (Read 687 times)

Offline 3R Shooter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fred Bear Feather Chopper
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2011, 03:38:00 PM »
As convenient as it is, I did get a reply this morning from Bear Archery. I am not sure it was taken in front of the bosses, but the Marketing Manager replied with the following:

"We would prefer that you shy away from the name Fred Bear for the product name, as we continue to grow and expand our traditional products this will be the name that we will utilize in our marketing and branding strategies."

Sorry guys, but without the Bear name and story the new (old) feather cut would not be marketable.

I am trying some other avenues with them though to see if we can come to a compromise.

Johnathan
I work for 3Rivers Archery as the President.
 www.3RiversArchery.com

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2011, 04:04:00 PM »
How very short sighted of Bear Archery.  Anything out there with Fred's name on it only points back to one origin and enhances the brand over and over again.  Sheesh.  Why not market them as "Legacy Cut" or something similar....the customers will be the ones to call them by whatever name they choose.
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline benny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2011, 04:09:00 PM »
Yea...I like the idea of "Legacy Cut".

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2011, 04:17:00 PM »
Friggin lawyers screw up everything.

(Please eccept my apology if you are a lawyer and don't screw up everything!)
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2011, 04:18:00 PM »
Papa B Legacy Cut!
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2011, 09:05:00 PM »
Frank Scott (Bear's oldest employee, close friend, and curator of the Bear museum in Gainesville, once wrote me a letter stating that I could use Fred's name on any project I had under development (Happened to be a video at the time).  Frank knew that Fred had taken a liking to me several years before he passed and that's all Frank needed to know . . . well, now you see what happens when more "knowledgeable" folks have taken over the helm in the sunshine state. Probably the same people who decided it was in the best interest of the public to sell part of Fred's legacy - the complete contents of his museum, to Bass Pro Shops.  Many of Fred's trophies are currently scattered among the various Bass Pro stores and are, for the most part, being ignored by the people walking the cluttered isles.  Much of the huge collection has been "in storage" at the BPS national headquarters in Springfield, MO. Rumor has it that the artifacts will eventually be displayed in an all-new and expanded Bear Museum there, however I'm not holding my breath on that one.  

All of these developments are sad indeed.  Fred was such an open and caring person, always very willing to share of himself.  The Fred I knew would have been honored that guys are so interested in shooting the same feather shape that he preferred in the 60s - mid 80s. He most likely would have widened those arctic blue eyes of his, grabbed his suspenders, and had a good laugh at the prospect!

Personally, I don't see why someone can't offer both a chopper AND a pre-shaped feather burner ribbon calling both "Legacy Shields" or whatever, BUT adding a note that the shape is based upon one of Fred Bear's original feathers or feather designs.  What would be wrong with that??   If someone steps up rest assured that I'll supply the drawing I made from one of the arrows Papa Bear gave me..
Gary Logsdon

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2011, 09:31:00 PM »
Johnathan, did 3Rivers experience any problems with Bear Archery when you marketed the "Fred Bear Hat", or was that item licensed before the company changed hands??
Gary Logsdon

Offline 3R Shooter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2011, 10:02:00 AM »
In defense of Bear Archery,

They have just dropped a good amount of money, time, and resources into the traditional archery line. They now are protecting their brand and making sure they are getting the benefit for all their hard work revamping their trad line. I would not be surprised to see cease and desist orders for just about any item that is using the Bear name without rights from Bear Archery.

Items we sell that have Fred Bear in the name (such as the hat) will most likely have their name changed or dropped. Depends upon the item. Bear Archery didn't bother with these little things before, but with their revitalized interest in traditional archery (which is a good thing) they are going to protect their brand.

Johnathan Karch
 www.3RiversArchery.com

Offline East Coast archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2011, 10:05:00 AM »
I'm happy with my "Legacy Cut" feather chopper inspired by Gary Logsdon, based on Fred Bear's design and made by Herb Haines.  All brought together by Trad Gang.  Hope I didn't offend anyone or infringe on any licensing!!    :biglaugh:
"God gave you feet for a reason, so you can take a step forward and keep moving, even though it's hard, but you have to because the tides going to come in." TAC

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2011, 02:33:00 PM »
Johnathan, I share a hope that Bear's renewed interest in improving and expanding their traditional line will assist in promoting and enriching our sport.  However, I also sincerely believe that they should utilize more than Fred's name and photographic images in the process; his sense of fair play and lack of ego were powerful components of Bear Archery's success. The current people in charge can learn a lot by studying why Papa Bear was so successful.

More than once Fred allowed other parties the luxury of utilizing his product concepts.  This often resulted in additional profits for Bear as more people became interested in the sport of bowhunting. Yes, I know, "times have changed", but old ways shouldn't necessary be buried with the past.

I read that Bear Archery has been seeking input from the traditional community regarding the company's plans for their "newest line of traditional archery equipment".  If that is so, then these discussions are not only timely, but apparently welcome.  Hopefully the request was made in earnest and they will look at the big picture when deciding if minimally profitable products (like "Fred Bear hats and feather choppers)are threats to the company OR opportunities to continue Fred Bear's legacy.
Gary Logsdon

Offline 3R Shooter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2011, 11:19:00 AM »
As it stands, the "Legacy cut" is available, but still at a custom chopper price, $39.99. Anyone that wants one please send me a cut off of the pattern and we will match it up to that, OR

Gary, if you can mail me a sample you made from the original (cardboard cut out works great or a burned feather) I can use that for anyone that places an order.

Johnathan
 www.3RiversArchery.com

Offline RM81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2011, 11:58:00 AM »
I would be surprised if there are very many at Bear Archery, Inc./Escalade Sports that are more interested in Fred Bear's legacy rather than making money.

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2011, 12:23:00 PM »
Johnathan, I should be able to do that.  My main goal all along has been to get Fred's shield cut into the hands of whoever wants to carry a bit of Fred's legacy in their quivers.  Oddly enough. I have an old home movie my wife shot of Fred and me talking about his preferred feather shape, which I called "a shield".  Fred laughed and said "I don't know what you call it, I just know that like it!!"  So will a lot of others Fred.   Stay tuned  . .
Gary Logsdon

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2011, 12:32:00 PM »
Johnathan.....maybe you should forward this thread to the folks you deal with at Bear.  Gary has provided great insight here into Fred's personality and outlook where the traditional archery community is concerned.  They would do well to follow in their founders footsteps (no matter who paid to own it).  Fred was an inspiration and/or friend to most members here, and to honor his legacy of sharing and helping those he met would most likely be his wish.
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2011, 02:47:00 PM »
Jonathan, as soon as you get the sample from Gary please pm/e-mail me. I would like to order that Lil Chopper design. It will go well with the new one I have!  :thumbsup:
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline LostNation_Larry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2011, 06:07:00 AM »
Gentlemen, there is another factor to consider here.  Bear Archery has a product year that goes from October to September.  Don't expect ANYTHING new from Bear until October.  If they decided to market a Fred Bear feather chopper I would expect to see it Oct 1.  Hopefully they will decide to go this route.  I don't see why they couldn't have 3 Rivers make it.
www.lostnationarchery.com
Where "Traditional" means "Personal Service."

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2011, 11:16:00 AM »
Jonathan, get me your mailing address and I'll cut you an accurate silhouette of Fred's feather. FYI, Fred burned the feathers on those arrows, so you may want to offer a burner ribbon version as well as a chopper.
Gary Logsdon

Offline 3R Shooter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2011, 11:33:00 AM »
3Rivers Archery
PO Box 517
Ashley, IN 46705-0517
Attn: Johnathan Karch
 www.3RiversArchery.com

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2011, 03:04:00 PM »
Got it.  Look for it next week.
Gary Logsdon

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2012, 05:44:00 PM »
Just wanted to bring this back up.....in talking with 3Rivers last week they need a "pattern" of this to produce the chopper.

Does anyone have a tracing they can forward to me via email so I can move forward on getting a chopper made?

Has anyone actually had one of these made?

Thanks in advance.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©