3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Food for elk huntin??  (Read 722 times)

Online TIM B

• Trad Bowhunter
Food for elk huntin??
« on: June 13, 2011, 12:05:00 PM »
Lots of us are gettin ready to head for the mountains in a couple months. I usually bring lots of energy and protien bars with me and sometimes peanut butter nuts or dried fruit. Sometimes MRE's even. What everyone elses favorites to pack with ya all day in the mountains?  

Maybe we can all get some new ideas from one another!

Offline Tater 2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Food for elk huntin??
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 12:11:00 PM »
It depends whether I am backpack hunting or base camp.
      By the end of the season I am getting tired of protein bars and trail mix.

If I am base camping I like to pack an Apple, maybe a couple boiled Eggs (all-ready peeled)Pb&J sandwich makes for a great mid day lunch.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
PBS Associate
Colorado Bowhunters Association

Offline 3Bears

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 12:16:00 PM »
Mountain house until the backstraps hit the fire.
3Bears

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 04:30:00 PM »
bagels and apples hold together well and are pretty cheap. I will supplement with cliff bars as well. I usually have done single day hunts for elk though, so I am not the best person to ask. It is really nice to live 45 minutes drive from your hunting grounds...
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 04:47:00 PM »
I usually don't eat much when I'm out but usually have a granola bar or two with me plus a couple candy bars, maybe some raisins.  Not usually a sandwich but I do have a half gallon of water flavored with either powdered gatoraid or Crystal lite.  Staying hydrated is much more important than having something to eat.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 05:35:00 PM »
Sandwiches made with tortillas.
Tortillas handle backpack storage better than bread.

Offline AZStickman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 05:42:00 PM »
Can't beat Mountain House unless you are hunting with Mike and Jason..... Terry
"The reward of a thing well done is to have done it.".. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline JJB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2011, 05:49:00 PM »
I like instant oatmeal for breakfast.  A mix of peanut butter crackers, cliff bars and trail mix works well for snacking.  I usually have a lipton rice dish with pre-packaged turkey or salmon for my big meal of the day.

Offline GreyGoose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2011, 05:49:00 PM »
I like to carry a baked sweet potato (or two, depending on the size and how long I'm hunting) into the woods.  Reminds me of squirrel hunting with my uncle years ago, and you can throw away the wrapper without feeling like a litter bug.
Jim

Offline Ragin Bull

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2011, 06:22:00 PM »
For day trips I like fruit, trailmix and maybe a granola bar.  But I'm with Pete, take lots of water and stay hydrated. I start drinking all the water I can take about a week before I leave on my trip and they stay with it. I usually only eat 1 large meal each day when I'm hunting. A light snack here and there and lots and lots of water.
Graywolfwoolens.com

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Life Member of Comptons

Offline Littlejake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2011, 07:30:00 PM »
Another plug for Mountain House haven't tried any I did'nt like.
Try and be the person your dog thinks you are...
PBS Regular Member

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2011, 07:40:00 PM »
For a good light weight lunch time meal I really like a soft tortilla loaded up with the contents of a packet of flavored tuna.  Add one of those little single serve packs of mayonaise.  Great eats and light weight.
Like Pete said, water is the most important ingrediant.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2011, 09:33:00 PM »
The tortilla is a good idea. I like to use bagels, they hold up better than bread also. I also use the envelope of tuna, trail mix and granola bars. That boiled egg idea is good also!......I think I'll grab a snack....lol!!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2011, 09:40:00 PM »
What does everyone do for water?  I know you can only carry in so much.  What do you do when you need fresh water?

As for food while hunting, I love MRE's.  1 a day, and a little snack here and there, and your good to go.  I have always prefered 1 big meal a day anyway.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2011, 10:11:00 PM »
I use a hydration pack, if out in the back country I have a small filter that I take. I also carry a small Alcohol stove to heat water for tea or coffee, I use the coffee bags or tea bags. Sometimes a hot drink is needed to keep you going!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline eagleone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2011, 10:19:00 PM »
I use a bladder and always carry my water filter, as far as food goes - mountain house is lite and rather tasty but after 7 straight days of it.............. granola/fruit snacks/ emarld breakfast on the go bags and jerky are all good options that are lightweight snacks.  I also bring 2 packs of emergen-c for each day, I think it helps and its nice to drink something flavored once in a while
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2011, 11:53:00 PM »
For water I have a SteriPen Adventurer. Purified water in 90 seconds. Tested all over the world (think 2 months in Mexico, 3rd world etc)

But the water sources where I hunt/hike are pretty clear. If you have a lot of cloudy water sources then you need a filter. The Pen does not filter water. It just purifies it.

Never going back to carrying all I need for the day. Ever. Filter of ultraviolet, either is better than lugging water for all day.

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2011, 12:01:00 AM »
I couldnt stand the mountain house meals they are nasty, and we all hated them.All four of us started taking ramen noodles out each day.Try one before you buy lots of them.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2011, 08:06:00 AM »
Joshua,

Thanks for the Steripen heads up, I wasn't familiar with that unit.  Checked it out and I may be in the market for one.  Sure looks convenient.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2011, 08:49:00 AM »
My food plan for our trip this year goes something like this-

Breakfast- homemade granola,protein powder and powdered milk in baggies. Add water, shake- good cold or hot.

Larabar,jerky.

Lunches-ortilla with PB, bacon and honey.
Larabars, or pemmican(homemade) with honey or almond butter. Trail mix snack throughout day.

snack on trial mix,larabars, or homemade energy bars,I'll take small packets of almond butter, honey etc. A fe bagels early on.

Dinners- Mountain House or backpacker pantry FD meals. Fast, easy, filling at night when tired.

Water- we each carry a 100oz bladder. I have a pump filter, as well as AquaMira purification drops. Theyre faster than the tablets.

Hopefully supplement with some sage grouse and a few trout.

Addinga little olive oil or some spices to the MH meals dresses the plavor up, and adds some calories.

Instant Idahoan mashes potatoes, spam singles, boxed meals such as Zatarains jambalaya etc divided in half are good too, but take a little longer to prepare.

Food for backpacking should be a minimum of 100 calories per oz. I figure on 2500-3000 calories per day.

The tuna or salmon packets are good, but not enough calories per oz, so I dont take but a few ofthose.

My trail mix xonsists of almonds,walnuts, cashews, dried currants, raising, sunflower seeds,raw pumkin seeds,shredded coconut and choc chips.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©