3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Food for elk huntin??  (Read 721 times)

Offline East Coast archer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Food for elk huntin??
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2011, 11:08:00 AM »
Longbowben, I must be different then you.  After hiking hard all day and eating dinner as late as 9:00 pm a mountain house heated meal tastes great in my opinion and has a lot more good stuff in it to keep you going the next day compared to ramin noodles.  If I backpack in I usually bring  power bars or Big 100 bars, goop (or whatever it is called now),  nuts mixed with raisans, tea bags, instant oatmeal and a double serve mountain house meal per day.  For water I take a hiking filter with my 70 oz. bladder and then 2 lightweight plastic platypus water bladders.  When I use up the bladder it weighs the same as a plastic ziplock so it goes with me during the day and I refill it.  I try to get the most calories out of the lightest weight and easiest gear/meals I can.  The last couple of years I have gone to ultralightweight gear as much as I can, so I was stoked when Kuiu came out with their gear this year.  My pack weight has gone down from approx. 45 lbs. for a bivy setup to about 30 and I am looking to add a Kuiu pack in the future to bring it down even more.  The mountains are hard as it is and I'm not getting any younger!  Now when I am base camping it's all the good food we can bring!
"God gave you feet for a reason, so you can take a step forward and keep moving, even though it's hard, but you have to because the tides going to come in." TAC

Online TIM B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2011, 11:21:00 AM »
This post is giving me some good ideas guys- thanks!

Offline Ringneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2011, 12:04:00 PM »
Mountain House is high in sodium but tastes fine to me. I have eaten worse that's for sure!

Offline huntnmuleys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2011, 12:20:00 PM »
another mountain house fan here.  also, love trail mix but i have to make it myself, because im hopelessly addicted to craisins, gotta have em!!!!!   the peanut butter and bacon sandwich that i read cameron hanes uses is actually pretty good as well, and does put a lot of calories into something small.
is it September yet??

Offline Michael Pfander

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2011, 12:57:00 PM »
I normally go through 3 liters of water in the morning and 3 liters in the evening.  So my camp routine is to filter 6 liters when I get back to camp before I take a nap.  If I am on a herd I filter where ever.  I always carry enough trail mix to stay out if the hunt requires it.  I drink tea with instant oatmeal [3 packs] stirred in to start the day.
MAP
Map
PBS
BHA
P&Y

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2011, 01:03:00 PM »
Trail mix, jerky, Snickers, oatmeal, and Mountain House. And grilled lasagna when you get back to base camp!
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2011, 01:03:00 PM »
I am an MRE guy on backpack hunts. I buy Redipack meals from Ameriqua. It is the standard military MRE. I break down the cardboard boxes and throw them in the fire at base and have seperate ziplocks for entree's, snacks, drink powders. I then try and ration my food for 3 days at a time, meaning I set up a base camp and return every 3 days. Of coarse if I were further away from base, say more than 3 miles, I pack more in. Here's the website for the MREs. Made in Evansville, IN.  http://www.ameriqual.com/
Mike Davenport

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2011, 01:43:00 PM »
I make my own dehydrated meals and I like the results. But it's only fair to say that ANY dehydrated meal is better in the field after a hard day of hunting than taste-testing in the kitchen.   :)

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2011, 10:38:00 PM »
Daily Food

1 lipton rice or pasta meal
2 Granola bars
1/2 cup GORP
4 tbsp peanut butter
2 oatmeal packs
1 tuna in oil packs
1 tortilla
1/4 pound jerky

That's about 2500 calories and around $5 a day.  Weight is 1.6 pounds average.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2011, 10:40:00 PM »
East coast archer, At night we had steaks,ribs,spaghetti,bbq chicken,briskits.The ramen noodles where for lunch.We returned to base camp every night.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline Todd Greenwald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2011, 11:21:00 PM »
I also pack in and utilize the microvavable hamburger helper packets & mac'n cheese.  They both cook in about 2 - 3 minutes using my little jet stove.  Also we use a basecamp water filter at camp and pack in another small H2O filter for spike camps.  The key to staying light is being a minimal list and knowing were to find water to filter.  Don't forget to get into shape or you will be sucking wind if you are hunting at any altitude.
Michigan Longbow Association
USMC 1992-2000

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©