3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Baiting Black Bears  (Read 445 times)

Offline D. Key

• Trad Bowhunter
Baiting Black Bears
« on: June 13, 2011, 01:27:00 PM »
I am currently on a black bear hunt in Idaho and the Outfitter is cooking bacon, marshmellows, and syrup at the bait site. Is building a fire at the baitsite common or is this Outfitter totally nuts?  I pray I hanen't waisted money on a hunt again.
"Pick-A-Spot"

Doug Key

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Baiting Black Bears
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 01:39:00 PM »
Sounds like your outfitter knows bears. That can be a great way to disperse scent in thev air currents.  Lots of bears have been done in by theft irresistible smells of a honey burn.  I haven't tried Bacon or marshmallows, but i'll bet it works great!  Tasty too!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 01:52:00 PM »
That is actually the sign of a knowledgeable guide.  We used to spray anise oil every time we rebaited a site.  Then when we walked in to hunt we would spray down the area and the bears would coma right in. It was just like ringing a dinner bell.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 02:12:00 PM »
Sounds like he's working hard for you. Best of luck...Ryan

Offline D. Key

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 02:27:00 PM »
Just to be clear, the outfitter is using a wood fire at the sit for the cooking. My thought was that the smoke might scare the bears away. Please help me as I am a novice at this and need advice.

Thanks
"Pick-A-Spot"

Doug Key

Offline D. Key

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 02:29:00 PM »
Just to be clear, the outfitter is using a wood fire at the sit for the cooking. My thought was that the smoke might scare the bears away. Please help me as I am a novice at this and need advice.

Thanks
"Pick-A-Spot"

Doug Key

Offline Marty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 02:36:00 PM »
Just to be clear-The outfitter oughta be sayin his hunter dosesn't know what he's doin. Great bait. There's a theory called contempt prior to investigation.

Offline bryan r

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2011, 02:39:00 PM »
Personally, I would use a smokeless heat source, so as not to contaminate the sweet smell of the "bait" ....but if he's experienced, and has a good record, I wouldn't worry about it.

I know the feeling of being out there, over-thinking EVERY little detail. Sit back, relax, take a deep breath, and wait for the big guy to come strollin in.      :thumbsup:

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2011, 03:10:00 PM »
Some of the boys at Bear Quest will be doing a "honey burn" at their bait sites this week... and killing some bears, I bet!

Marty- "contempt prior to investigation"... isn't that how you decided I was no good when we first met?!?!   :rolleyes:   (By the way, I may have to quote you on that one!)
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline Greyfox54

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2011, 07:47:00 PM »
Daryl how could anyone feel that way when first meeting you ? , especially Marty . He's my Hero you know , Fred
Greyfox54

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2011, 07:52:00 PM »
I don't know squat about bear hunting or baiting but good luck up there Doug. What happened, did somebody beat you to the splitfinger name here on Trad Gang? Oh yeah, are you using your new Bob Sarrels Puma (or Cougar) or whatever it is called on this hunt? Sorry, I could not resist.

Good luck and knock over a big one,

Bisch

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2011, 10:57:00 PM »
Good Luck. Send some pics when you get one on the ground.

Offline akdd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2011, 02:29:00 AM »
I had been at work for 2 weeks and when I got back to check my bait it had been cleaned out. I restocked it and was doing a molasses burn on my coleman stove while I was hanging the tree stand. The stove was setting right in front of the bait barrel with a gallon coffee can on it with 1/2" of  molasses burning in it. I had just got my tree stand hung and looked down and there was a bear trying to get around the burning stove so that he could get to the bait. Had a hard time getting him to leave so that I could get my stove. I was afraid that he was going to knock it over and start a fire.

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2011, 03:05:00 AM »
Trust the guide and have some fun.

Offline Plumber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2011, 04:01:00 AM »
have faith in your guide,you hired him. relax dont 2nd guess everything,however if he starts running around naked beating pots an pans get the hell out of there.good luck ED

Offline Marty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2011, 08:00:00 AM »
I was a little rough on my delivery yesterday- that practice has been done for years with great results. I feel bears are like big racoons-once they find the bait-they can't stand it and have to come back-that burn sweetens the pot. Good luck.

Hawkeye and Greyfox- wish we were on BearQuest right now! Hope those fella's are having as much fun as we did.

Offline Swamp Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2011, 08:08:00 AM »
I've never baited bears, but my camping experience says a little wood smoke is probably more as much an attractant as the bacon!  Lost many coolers to those big hairballs over the years.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
- William Arthur Ward
Black Widow PSAV 42#@29
Collection of Red Wing Hunters
Northern Mist Superior 43#@28
Blue Ridge Snowy Mt 51#@30"

Offline Jake Diebolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2011, 08:13:00 AM »
All you have to think about is this: How often do you hear about black bears raiding campgrounds? The smoke doesn't scare em off. Probably what they think is - hmmm, humans...that means FOOOOD! I've never hunted bears, but I've worked at campgrounds with hundreds of sites - and fires - and the bears came in regardless. I'm not saying its attracting them, but IMO it's not scaring them away.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2011, 08:50:00 AM »
There are any number of ways to bait bears and what he is doing in not at all uncommon. This may be very effective with him if he has been doing it for years and the bears know what is going on...they are probably used to his methods and if he is still doing it it has probably worked in the past.Like  most other  hunts patience is a big part of success and it has been my experience that first time bear hunters have a pretty good learning curve the first time. Hunting bear over baits is quite a different experience than most any other hunt. You'll have fun. Your biggest problem is determining size. Ground shrinkage is or could be interesting. Let us know how you do.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©