3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Longbow decsion narrowed to 4  (Read 854 times)

Offline PastorSteveHill

• Trad Bowhunter
Longbow decsion narrowed to 4
« on: June 26, 2007, 10:10:00 PM »
Here are the Four longbows I am choosing from: Help me out fellows...

Hornes
Black Widow
Tomahawk
Turkey Creek

I want most importantly the one I can shoot the best/ most acuratley.  Second the quietest/ smoothest drawing and last the fastest...
Blessings,
Steve

Offline BillyBobHowdieVern

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Longbow decsion narrowed to 4
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007, 10:14:00 PM »
wow you don't make it easy do you!!!!! i have only shot the turkey creek and man it's a screemer so if it was me i would pick it. doug is a great guy and really knows his stuff.

john

Offline Mike Byrge@home

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 10:21:00 PM »
Another bow already Steve!!!

Hard to go wrong with any of those choices.

Offline grizzlyxx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 10:23:00 PM »
I don't have any experiece with your choices other than the Hornes.  My brother has a Hornes combo hunter longbow and it shoots very nice.  It has the same grip as his trad. longbow and I liked the grip just fine.  I think the most important factor in the accuracy department is not getting to much bow weight, even more important if your new to the longbow.  All longbow are quiet by design.  As far as speed is concerned I bet there is not more than 10-15 fps between the fastest and the slowest.  When your talking about 10-15 fps that not much difference in kinectic energy.  I think your on the right track with the accuracy concern.  I have a Fox longbow that I like very much.  I also live in Shreveport, Shoot me a email if your interested in shooting it.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 10:23:00 PM »
In this set, it will all be in which grip/style fits you best. Not a bad bow in the bunch.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline SpankyNeal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007, 10:43:00 PM »
If you have a grip already that you like I would have whichever bowyer you choose, copy it. From what i've seen of the ones you mention, the grips look quite different. Vermonster hit it right - the grip makes all the difference in the world!
Ken "Spanky" Neal

4 Sunset Hills and counting!

66" 59# "White Dragon"
65" 56# "El Tigre"
67" 47# "Quiet Places"
66" 57# "Lionheart"

"Speed is vital, however it is absolutely worthless when you exchange it for stability and accuracy"...John Schulz

Offline ken denton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2007, 10:44:00 PM »
I have owned a Horne Tradional with his srandard maple limbs and it was very fast and accurate. I love the handle on the Tradional and mine was a 64", 47#@28". This is the only bow above I have shot!
If you like the handle makes all the difference. You cannot go wrong with a Tradional and Mark may have one in stock!
"Arrows into the wind", What a wounderful sight!!!

Offline PastorSteveHill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2007, 10:52:00 PM »
What type grips are we talking about?  What is different in them? What do you guys prefer? Is there pros and cons on each?
Blessings,
Steve

Offline SpankyNeal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2007, 11:06:00 PM »
There's no pros and cons as the grip is a personal thing - it either fits you and you shoot it well or it doesn't and you don't! You have to feel and shoot them to tell if it fits you as my hand, shooting style etc and everyone elses is different from yours. Most all bowyers will copy a grip for you once you find a size and style that works for you, as long as it can be worked into thier particular riser design. You really need to try before you buy if you can. Regards Ken
Ken "Spanky" Neal

4 Sunset Hills and counting!

66" 59# "White Dragon"
65" 56# "El Tigre"
67" 47# "Quiet Places"
66" 57# "Lionheart"

"Speed is vital, however it is absolutely worthless when you exchange it for stability and accuracy"...John Schulz

Offline Holm-Made

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2007, 11:44:00 PM »
The Turkey Creek is every bit as nice as the others for less money.  Chad

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2007, 07:16:00 AM »
Hi Steve; they're all winners, each type having taken many terrific game animals; a factor that may or may not be important for you is where the shelf is cut to; on the Black Widow, it is cut to centre, whereas on the Tomahawk, it is not quite there, I believe (somebody please correct me if I'm mistaken); the difference this makes is that it will be slightly easier to tune arrows and achieve consistant arrow flight even if you make an unfortunate and inconsistant release (with a cut-to-centre longbow). However, this difference is probably negligable, with a little thought and care (I shoot a Hill longbow as well as the Black Widow longbow, and they're like chalk and cheese). Whichever bow you decide on, I'm sure you'll have great success with.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline jeff / sc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2007, 08:00:00 AM »
I have a widow PL and 2 T-hawks. Ben is correct in that the widow is cut to center and tends to handle a little broader range of arrows. They are both great bows, you might want to try the test drive approach.  I find that the T-hawks handle B-50 string a little better and are absolutly dead quiet with it.

Offline suttoman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2007, 09:18:00 AM »
For what it is worth I have the Hornes but have just ordered the Turkey Creek.  Go to the start up page for T/G and read product reviews - you will see what they say about the T/C.

The Hornes grip is all wrong for me - I can't hit anything with it.  If you like a very slight dish for a grip then you may like the Horne's - if you need a more substantial grip then don't get the Hornes.

I thought the quality was good on my Horne's until I got my Toelke Whip - wow - now that's what I call quality.

For less money I think the Turkey Creek is a better bow and better customer service.

Sutto
One hour of life, crowded to the full with glorious action .... is worth whole years of those mean observances of paltry decorum, in which men steal through existence, like sluggish waters through a marsh, without either honor or observation

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2007, 11:00:00 AM »
I've only shot 2 of the 4 ya mentioned and of those 2 the Horne's bow won for me....Problem is nobody can really tell ya whats right for you thats somethin you need to do yourself

Good luck

PS I ended up with one ya didn,t have on the list hahahahaha
Shoot straight and have FUN!!

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2007, 12:20:00 PM »
I've shot 3 of the 4 listed--I have no experience with the Horne bow.  For what it's worth, of the ones you listed the Turkey Creek gets my vote by a good margin.

Chad

Offline DW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2007, 01:43:00 PM »
Owned them all and all were OK.....BUT the only one still around is a Turkey Creek Double Carbon. The quality of the fit and finish is right up there with the best and a lot better than most of them, for a whole lot less money. For what it's worth, I think Doug and Turkey Creek are going to be huge in a few years. Don Wilson
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Tom Anderson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2007, 02:15:00 PM »
I can guarantee you that if you'll shoot each of the 4, you'll find that one of them stands out above the rest.
I make it a point not to purchase any bow unless I've shot it...preferably the EXACT bow I'm purchasing, but that usually doesn't work out.
(formerly "NativeCraft")
Wilson, NC

"short skirts create less drag in the woods..." (Dave Worden)

Offline Mr.Magoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2007, 03:23:00 PM »
I have 2 Hornes, a brush bow and a ridge runner.  Both have maple cores, both have good speed and I'd repeat the purchase (no buyers remorse).  I haven't shot the other 3; the Turkey Creek seems to be the "bow du Jor" and the folks who have them seem to like them.

I'd choose between the Horne and the Turkey Creek.  The one that fit my eye and grip better would be the winner.  I have also heard a couple of people asking for Mark Horne to cut their longbows to center (I didn't, but it probably makes the bow more spine tolerant.)

As for price, add up all those extras (if any) before you decide on which is the better value.

Offline jeff / sc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2007, 04:51:00 PM »
Now you guys have me thinking that I need another bow.

Offline Jwilliam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2007, 07:36:00 PM »
I have shot them all except the Turkey Creek. I ended up ordering a Horne's Traditionalist. And I absolutly love that bow. I don't think you can go wrong with a bow from Horne's.
Bill

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©