3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: marbled crown dip  (Read 339 times)

Offline Northwoods

• Trad Bowhunter
marbled crown dip
« on: June 14, 2011, 12:25:00 AM »
ok, I saw a post on this recently and these look pretty neat.  I'm interested in giving this a try but am hoping to save some trial and error by asking those who already have this figured out.  A search pulled up 2 prior threads on this but I'm hoping to get some specifics. Thanks for your patience with these answers.  I'm just trying to visualize how this is done.

Can you use bohning cresting paints mixed in water to get the desired effect?

If using testors model paint (recommended in one of the prior threads) is this compatible with fletch tite?  If not what glues will work?

Some also mentioned using a sponge to apply paints to get a similar effect.  I imagine putting the cresting paint on the sponge and rolling the arrow across the sponge,  is this right?  Does this method give a significantly different appearance that the oil based paint and water method?

Ted
Be strong and of good courage, do not be afraid or be dismayed for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go - Joshua 1:9

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: marbled crown dip
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 01:52:00 AM »
The sponge method gives a very different look than the oil-based paint floated on water.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline lodestar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 09:18:00 AM »
I crown dip with bohning and then mix sign enamel thinned with MEK. I then take a container filled with water deep enough to dip the crown to the desired depth in. I then put just a drop of the thinned enamel on the top of the water and use a wooden q-tip to mix the color up and spread it out on the top of the water. Once you have done that dip the crown into the water with a gentle swirling motion as you go deeper into the water. Pull the crown out and do the same up. Hang and dry overnight and do the second color 24 hours later. I have found that the base color is crucial and some may look better than others. After you are done clear dip with Bohning again and glue your feathers up.

Offline Dustin Waters

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 01:48:00 PM »
any oil based paint "floated" on the top of a deep container of water will work.  I spray the top 10" of my arrows with a bright color let that dry completely.  Then I float a dark color of oil based paint on top of the water and swirl it around with the tip of a pin and get a swirl pattern on top of the water.  Then I dip my arrow down through the swirl at the same time I am twisting the arrow back and forth about a quarter turn so the marble doesn't have any straight lines on it.  Then let air dry for at least 24 hours.  From there I dip that in a lacquer to seal the design on the shaft and I am finished.

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 02:18:00 PM »
I use Testors Paint for  ALL  of My Cresting!   :thumbsup:    Works well with Saunders NPV Glue, dont know Why it wouldnt be compatible with Fletch-Tite.   :archer:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©