3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Moose Target  (Read 794 times)

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Moose Target
« on: June 26, 2007, 10:28:00 PM »
Heading to Newfoundland in Sept and want to make a full size moose target.  Does anybody have an idea on how to make one?
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Moose Target
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007, 10:32:00 PM »
A Ford 8N tractor should closely resemble a moose body and it might cost less than a Rinehart moose.

I would probably cut and stitch together 2-4 100# burlap coffee bean bags. Then fill them with all the plastic bags you could find.

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 10:35:00 PM »
Spray paint one on the back of an old tool shed...  ;)
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline bbassi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2007, 05:55:00 AM »
buy a cow and get some blunts.

seriously, what ever you come up with post some pictures! And good luck with your hunt (you lucky stiff)
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt.

Offline Kevin Bahr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2007, 09:43:00 AM »
Good one, Bob!  LOL!  Seriously, we aren't spending much more to go on the hunt than if we bought one of those targets...
Rick, you should concentrate on making arrows, not targets...HA!

Offline BMOELLER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2007, 09:50:00 AM »
If you can consistantly put your arrows in a little whitetail target,  you definately should be able to hit a MOOSE!!!
2009 Kansas State ASA Traditional Champion

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2007, 09:53:00 AM »
You may want to check g-mac archery products. I inquired once on a full size moose, the quote I got last year was $75.

Offline tim-flood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2007, 11:17:00 AM »
cardboard and a majic marker

Offline tamure

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2007, 11:25:00 AM »
I assume you don't mean a life size 3D moose?

Get two 4 x 8 pieces of plywood and lay them 8' edge to 8' edge. Draw a moose on it. Cut out moose with jig saw. Cut out circle in kill zone. Screw 2x4s to the plywood to hold the two pieces together. Insert foam into kill zone hole. Screw / staple chicken wire over back of foam to keep it from popping out. Spray paint plywood to make it look mooseish. Drive t-posts into the ground and use conduit holder things to attach moose to t-posts. Don't shoot the plywood. Alternatively to foam / t-posts, prop moose up against a haystack.  :)
Directions: Hike, camp, hunt, fish, wash, rinse, repeat.

Offline amicus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2007, 11:34:00 AM »
Fletcher, if you have the Masters of the bare bow or can get it, one of the shooters made a Moose target out of 8ft sheet of some kind of board insulation with 3 2x4. It worked very well. Its what he used to prepare for his moose hunt. Check it out.
The blessing of the Lord, it maketh rich and He addeth no sorrow with it. Prov 10;22

A sinner saved by Grace.

Offline amicus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2007, 11:47:00 AM »
Thats the Masters of the Bare Bow DVD.
The blessing of the Lord, it maketh rich and He addeth no sorrow with it. Prov 10;22

A sinner saved by Grace.

Offline Jeff Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2007, 01:02:00 PM »
Rick, glad to hear that you are getting to hunt moose.  If going with MVO, PM me cause that is who I went with several years ago and maybe I can provide some tips.  I read an article years ago about making large targets out of the thick (3" or 4") board insulation and duct tape, and using the spray foam insulation to fill in the gaps.

Here is a teaser NF moose hunting photo for you, hope you have a fun hunt.....

I made a great stalk on that shed antler!  Can't resist, here is another (recognize that bow?)...

"He has also made me as a select arrow, He has hidden me in His quiver." - Isaiah 49:2

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2007, 02:18:00 PM »
When I was going moose hunting a few years ago I got a cardboard refiderator box, and a can of flat black spray paint from the dollar store and made a "front half" moose target (no head just body and top part of front legs). If memory serves me it was 48" from top of back to bottom of belly. I hung this between 2 trees in my back yard with the top of the hump at 7 feet. I didn't draw a kill zone on it because I wanted to get used to looking at that wall of black and picking a spot. I'd only see where the arrow hit by walking up and seeing where the hole was which I would then tape over with black electrical tape, and then back off and shoot again.One arrow at a time cause that's usually all the chances you get and also then you can't "adjust your aim" for a second shot if you didn't like where the first one went. The first arrow is the one that counts.

I was ready...wish the moose had cooperated.  :(
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline Steve Leffler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2007, 03:30:00 PM »
Try GMAC targets.  They can customize anything you want.  You will need to attach it to hay bales or some type of foam but he can make the target life size.

Offline Steertalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2007, 04:30:00 PM »
Flether,

I did exactly like Tamure suggested but took it a step further when I made my life size elk target.  I went to the RMEF website and found a picture of an elk that I liked and downloaded it into a program that I use and blew the picture up to lifesize proportions.  Then I plotted the picture out on my 36" plotter and glewed it to the plywood and then did what Tamure said to do.

I could probably do it for you if you can find the correct dimensions of a lifesize moose....like how tall are they at the withers???  After I got my target made I went over it with spray paint using the picture as a "go by".  Makes for great target I think.

Brett
"America is like a healthy body and its resistance is threefold:  its patriotism, its morality and its spiritual like.  If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within."  Joseph Stalin

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2007, 04:44:00 PM »
Cardboard is the cheapest way.  Just do like Ferret said.  Start with a large box or glue pieces together.  If you have a Cabelas or similar store nearby, go visit and just sit in fron of their stuffed full mount moose so you can get used to what they look like and how big they are.
ChuckC

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2007, 04:53:00 PM »
Brett, That is an awesome elk target. How much? Great idea  :thumbsup:
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Tom Mussatto

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2007, 05:03:00 PM »
Rick, neighbor to the east still refuses to keep his fences in good repair. He runs 70 head of prime Hereford's in that pasture (and my timber  :(  ) ).

If ya can't find a suitable target (heck, even if you can) drive on down one afternoon and solve your problem and mine. No target is gonna work as well as something with hair on it that moves and who knows, if ya get real lucky ya may not even have to go all the way to Newfoundland for meat.  :)
Tom Mussatto

Offline bowmac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2007, 05:04:00 PM »
I know this won't help you, if we lived close I would just loan it to you. I bought this Moose used about 4 years ago from a Archery Club. He has been hauled around and shot by a lot of archers since then.

Here's a close up. I live in SE Iowa if you are interested in borrowing him.

Wool the Natural Fiber

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2007, 05:56:00 PM »
The adult has a dark brown coat. The young are reddish brown. The males are taller and heavier than the females. The moose can grow to be over 3 metres (8 to 10 ft.) in length and a shoulder height of over 2 metres (5 to 7 ft.). Males can weigh 600 kg. (over 1200 pounds).
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©