3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Moose Target  (Read 793 times)

Offline Brian P.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Moose Target
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2007, 06:31:00 PM »
Hey Kevin, We will try to save you guys a couple moose up there in Newfoundland. Hard to believe I will be there in less than 2 months.

We are just using an elk target the one of the guys has, but we are going to put it on stilts LOL. Just had the target stands made up at work the other day.

Maybe we will cross paths up north. If not, best of luck to your group.

BP
"As a rule, nothing does an arrow so much good as to shoot it, and nothing so much harm as to have it lie inactive and crowded in the quiver"   Saxton Pope

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2007, 07:34:00 PM »
Originally posted by BMOELLER:
If you can consistantly put your arrows in a little whitetail target,  you definately should be able to hit a MOOSE!!!
True enough. Funny thing about moose hunting though, before I went to Ontario last year I lost track of all the "messed up a chip shot" stories I heard. It seemed everyone had at least one story about a bowhunter either freezing up or flat out blowing the shot. One hunter in our camp froze up the first time a bull got within range, and goofed up a 12-foot shot the second time.

It seemed to me that putting an arrow through the lungs of a moose has less to do with simple accuracy, and more to do with keeping your head on straight and not freaking out when a 1,000-pound 7 foot tall critter comes in looking to stomp you into a mud hole. It can be very fun or a little un-nerving. Honestly though, I'm not sure how to prepare for that kind of thing.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2007, 10:42:00 PM »
Thanks for the many ideas and interesting points.  I knew I could count on you guys for help and humor.    :campfire:  

Hey Kevin, I'm doing some of that, too!
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Rich Vutera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2007, 02:28:00 PM »
Hey Rick:
Here's a moose you'll recognize.

Fine minds like fine steels are forged by hard knocks.

Offline TRADITIONAL ONLY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2007, 02:51:00 PM »
Originally posted by bbassi:
buy a cow and get some blunts.

seriously, what ever you come up with post some pictures! And good luck with your hunt (you lucky stiff)
make sure its a Chianina though! (pronounced kee-a-nee-na)

:eek:     :eek:     :eek:
If its brown its down; thats my motto.

"The great questions of the day are decided... by blood and iron"  Otto von Bismark

Offline TRADITIONAL ONLY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2007, 02:57:00 PM »
heres a few facts....

Breed: Chianina:

The Chianina is the largest cow (or bull for that matter).
The average cow weighs between 1,700 and 2,400 pounds and stands 5 feet tall at the whithers.
The average bull weighs 3,000 pounds. The largest Chianina bull on record weighted 4,300 pounds!
Bulls are typically 6 feet high at the whithers.
Despite their large size, Chianinas have a trim, shapely look, with a fine narrow head.
Most Chianinas are white, although steel grey is possible, and one line of Chianinas are black.
Their nose and hooves are black.
The Chianina originated from the same region as Chianti wine -- in Tuscany, Italy. (The "ch" in Chianina is pronounced like a "k".)
The Chianina's present conformation was settled in the early 19th century.
The Italian herdbook formed in 1956.
Chianinas were first imported into the US in 1973
If its brown its down; thats my motto.

"The great questions of the day are decided... by blood and iron"  Otto von Bismark

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2007, 08:30:00 PM »
Ya know Tom, if we could paint one of them black and get it on stilts it would be just about right.    :biglaugh:  

Great to see ole Bullwinkle again, Rich.  I think his son may be coming on the trip, too.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Rich Vutera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2007, 09:39:00 AM »
That's great we'll have to put him to work. Didn't know ole Bullwinkle had a son.
Fine minds like fine steels are forged by hard knocks.

Offline Kevin Bahr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2007, 02:59:00 PM »
Brian, thanks, we need all the help we can get!
You guys driving or flying?  We are making the looooong drive from Illinois...

Offline Brian P.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2007, 03:19:00 PM »
We are driving too. Think it takes about 27 hours for us in central Ohio. That is just to get on the boat, lol. Got 6 or 7 hours of boat time and another 7 hours drive once we hit the island. Worth every minute of it in my opinion.

Our plan is to leave here on the Thursday before our hunt. Take the Friday evening crossing, then the drive north on Sat. It is really nice getting there a day early to re-couperate from the drive.

Going to Cabelas tomorrow to get some supplies I think I need.

Cant wait.

BP
"As a rule, nothing does an arrow so much good as to shoot it, and nothing so much harm as to have it lie inactive and crowded in the quiver"   Saxton Pope

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©