3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Aluminum to carbon to aluminum  (Read 729 times)

Offline 2216

• Trad Bowhunter
Aluminum to carbon to aluminum
« on: June 14, 2011, 11:10:00 AM »
Built a dozen mfx's this year. I used the 340 at 29"for my 64# Dale Stahl recurve. The arrows shot great. However, the finished arrows cost me about $150 a dozen, very expensive. One of the arrows after hitting a hard object mushroomed at the tip. I removed the point, cut a 3/8 in. piece of 2216 slid it down the shaft, epoxied the tip and slid the sleeve over the damaged area and put a 11/32 field point on and the arrow was back in business. This got me thinking though, are carbons worth the added expense? The next visit to the range I brought 6 carbon and 6 2216's and did a shot comparison. The first thing I notice was how smooth my aluminum arrows were when I drew my bow. Both arrows preformed the same out to 50 yards. Aluminum took side impacts better the the carbons.

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Aluminum to carbon to aluminum
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 11:50:00 AM »
Different strokes for different folks man, you will get a bunch of responses for both but IMO, you should get out and wear out that recurve and decide for yourself, for me their not. I love aluminums they do great for what i need them for, and just like you said there alot cheaper. Just my .02 hope it helps,
Dalton
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Offline daveycrockett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 12:16:00 PM »
I too have tried carbon after carbon. Shooting alum. again. Good weight without all the fuss!   :cool:

Offline Jake Diebolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 12:27:00 PM »
I shoot aluminum. Carbon seems like a lot of dollars for some added performance...I just don't have the money to replace my arrows right now. Even if I did, I'm not entirely convinced it would be worth it for me. I haven't tried shooting carbon, but some of the guys I know who do seem to go through a lot more worry over their arrow. I shoot to relax, not be anxious about my arrows!

Offline Bowmania

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 12:36:00 PM »
"...how smooth my aluminum arrows were when I drew my bow."

2216, could you explain that comment.  I can't figure out what it could possibly mean?

I buy expensive carbons and I think they're cheaper in the long run.  I can't stand shooting an aluminum that glances off that 3D target and is just not the same as it used to be.  Not crooked, but not straight either.  YOu know it won't shoot in the same hole as the others.  For me it's worth it not to have to mess with that arrow.

Bowmania
I'm not putting up with this guys shit and dogging me.

Offline RM81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 01:07:00 PM »
I shoot carbons, but I get them for the same price I can find aluminum most of the time.  I always buy an extra dozen when Big Jim gets the GT blems in stock.

I like carbon b/c of their durability especially with the aluminum footing up front.  I shot one dead center on a live tree a couple of weekends ago with no damage whatsoever.  I also like how much quieter they are over aluminum.  Whether drawing back on the shelf or rattling around in a back quiver, I give the advantage to carbon.  No more bent aluminums to worry about either.

Just checked 3rivers and they sell GG xx75 for the same price Big Jim sells the GT blems.

Try them both and shoot what you like.

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 01:38:00 PM »
I've shot nothing but carbons for the past 5 or 6 years. I recently bought a heavy bow & wanted to build some cheaper arrows so I went with aluminums. I shot 3 yesterday, bareshaft & I've never seen anything like it before. All 3 flew well & hit straight(ish). All 3 bent.

In my opinion, yes. Carbons are without a doubt worth the money. I'll never shoot aluminums again.
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline TDHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 03:02:00 PM »
You can find carbon for the same price as aluminums. I've bought 50-60 doller per dozen carbons for years and they last forever!

I shot aluminums for many years and whiched to carbons a few years back and I would never go back aluminum. Carbons have been way cheaper in the long run.

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 03:07:00 PM »
Personally, the Safety Factor in Carbons Scares Me!  :eek:    :scared:    :scared:  Aluminums are Fine Arrows!!
  I Build My Own and use Wood!! They are Cost Affective, Fun To Make, and Are Much Cheaper in the Long Run!! If I miss and Trash One, I dont CRY as Hard either!!  :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011, 03:08:00 PM »
When I compete in the Muzzy Stump shoot i might break one or possibly two carbons during the 3 days of shooting as opposed to breaking and bending 10 aluminum arrows like i used to. In the long run the carbons are much cheaper to shoot for me. Same thing for hunting.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2011, 04:51:00 PM »
I've always shot alumunium arrows out of my recurve bows. I've never bent any, but I don't shoot at stumps with them either.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Jake Diebolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2011, 05:14:00 PM »
I honestly haven't bent an aluminum arrow in the last year of shooting - hitting everything from rocks to trees to stumps. The only time I've bent a shaft, or mushroomed the arrow, is from a direct hit on a ceiling rafter back when I was shooting compound 7 years ago. (please don't ask).That same shot would destroy a carbon too, or at least make you think twice of using it again.

I'm not saying that carbon shafts aren't more durable - they obviously are. But I lose about a dozen arrows for every one I've destroyed, so any cost-benefit is lost to a guy like me.

Now, if you break more arrows than you lose, carbon begins to make sense. Not so with me.

Offline Javi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2011, 05:28:00 PM »
Wood... $2.50 a shaft  :D
Mike "Javi" Cooper
TBoT Member

Offline K. Mogensen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2011, 05:32:00 PM »
I've absolutely annihilated some of my aluminum arrows. But I'm fairly sure they were shots that carbon wouldn't have made it through either. No arrow is going to be indestructible IMO. So I'd rather go with something easy to tune and more affordable.

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2011, 05:39:00 PM »
I love both my carbon and aluminum. But as long as I can get Gold Tip blems from Big Jim at the same price as aluminum, that's what I'll be shooting.  Both have their own pros and cons.  Lots of folks are unloading aluminum cheep right now so its a good time to stock up.  Try'em both and YOU decide.
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2011, 07:06:00 PM »
I love woodies and alloys ... never had much luck with carbons and that was mainly because To keep them short I had to weigh them up front more than I like in terms of overall weight .
Recently though I had Ted Fry make me up a dz AD Trad Lites ... now , 30 years of shooting stickbows leaves me scratching my head a bit with these ... despite different bows and bow weights , I am getting great flight with them , even using both small and big broadheads out of Hills to my Plx Widow .
I think I'm converted !
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Online Stringwacker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2011, 08:34:00 PM »
I'm a fellow that has went the whole cycle and I'll likely stay with aluminum. It's true that you can buy some cheap carbons for aluminum pricing...but you don't get as straight an arrow, as spine consistent arrow, or as a weight consistent arrow. Check your carbon shafting charts and see what you have to pay for a .002 straight shaft in carbon. The aluminums are much slicker and quieter on the rest as well than most of the carbons I have shot.

I like the increased tube weight of aluminum without adding weights and the many spine choices that aluminum offers. Lastly, archers have been shooting aluminum shafting for arrows since at least 1939. Aluminum arrows predate even laminated fiberglass bows. For those who still have a 'traditional' culture in the sport, that may have some classical value.
Pope and Young Life Member
PBS Regular
Compton Bowhunters
Mississippi Bowhunters Hall of Fame

Offline 2216

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2011, 01:33:00 PM »
Bowmania,When drawing the arrow the aluminum arrows glide smoothly were as the mfx's grabed the rug rest. The carbons with chipped finish really grabbed the rug. As far as carbons go, the mfx arrows hold their nocks very well on hard impacts. 5/16" carbons seem to spit their nocks like I spit Copenhagen.

Offline OS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2011, 02:31:00 PM »
I loved the way carbons shot from my recurves and longbows!!!!  my problem came when shooting at game. Even though I shot all year with the new carbons I ended up shooting over 4 turkeys and 7 deer!!!  (Carbon 530gr. Alluminum 700gr.)  Going back to the heavier arrow I killed the first five animals I shot at.  Guess it take more than a year to change 20 some years of shooting heavy arrows.  then it cost more $ to icrease weight of the carbons.  I'm to cheap for that!!
It's not the size of the game you take that means Success!
It's the experience of pursuing game that give true Outdoor Success!!!!!

Offline Eugene Slagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2011, 02:50:00 PM »
Originally posted by RM81:
I shoot carbons, but I get them for the same price I can find aluminum most of the time.  I always buy an extra dozen when Big Jim gets the GT blems in stock.

I like carbon b/c of their durability especially with the aluminum footing up front.  I shot one dead center on a live tree a couple of weekends ago with no damage whatsoever.  I also like how much quieter they are over aluminum.  Whether drawing back on the shelf or rattling around in a back quiver, I give the advantage to carbon.  No more bent aluminums to worry about either.

Just checked 3rivers and they sell GG xx75 for the same price Big Jim sells the GT blems.

Try them both and shoot what you like.
I'm in the same boat as you, I like the durability of Carbon Arrows especially when I foot them with a section of 2117 & the price as you said is the same.
Zona Custom Recurve: 60" 49# @ 27.5".
Sky Sky Hawk Recurve: 60" 47# @ 27.5".
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore, please take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©