3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Help with first time FF-type string  (Read 387 times)

Offline bsoper

• Trad Bowhunter
Help with first time FF-type string
« on: June 15, 2011, 01:16:00 AM »
So I haven't used a fast flight type string yet, after reading that recent thread on FF vs B50 I think I might give it a try. My bow has reinforced tips, but I have just been using the b50 that came with it. I have no idea what I am doing when it comes to a new string of this type.

My bow is 64in AMO and 44# @ my 28in draw.
~Brock

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Help with first time FF-type string
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 02:21:00 AM »
I would contact some of the stringmakers in the sponsers classifieds and have one of them set you up with a string that fits your bow well.Thiers lots of different low stretch string  material choices that are very good.Strand count may be something you want to  consider and possibly padded loops loops if you get a lower strand count string.You may want to let them know what type of knocks you use on your arrows.

You may have a choice between flemish and an endless type string and a 2 bundle or 3 bundle string and colors that match your bow woods nice possibly.

It will be worth the cost to see f the low stretch string gives you a quieter,crisper and slighlty faster bow possibly.

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 10:29:00 AM »
No fear! Like Eric writes, contact one and they will walk you thru and set ya up with something GOOD!

With your weight bow, any of the materials should benfit you well over dacron!

Offline mt-dew10

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 10:37:00 AM »
A couple of considerations that I have found in the last few weeks include:

The diameter of fast flight strings are much smaller than dacron.  Prior to switching, my normal strand count for my set up required 15 strands of dacron, which fit the Bohning Classic Nocks on my wood arrows very well.  

From switching from Dacron to Fast Flight Plus, I had to use 18 strands to get my nocks to fit the serving.

Prior to using 18 strands, I made a three bundle 15 strand string which did not fit.  I then tried sixteen, which also did not fit.  The 18 strand fit good.

My point is, don't get discouraged.  It may take some tinkering before you get it right.  You might want to tell the guy who makes your strings what types of arrow/nock set up you have.  He may know what serving/string combination will fit your set up.  

good luck
I enjoy being a traditional archer!!

Offline Reaper TN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 08:21:00 PM »
14 strands of D-97 with .024 halo serving is the string/serving combo I have been using for about a couple of years now.  They fit my GT and CE nocks perfect after 100 shots or so.  With D-97 you have a little initial stretch, then your good to go.  Try string builder Oliverstacy (Josh Sowerby) in the  Sponsers classifieds, great guy to deal with and he builds an awesome string.
TT Pinnacle II  45# 62"
Hoyt Excel  50# 64"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©