3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Opinions Please on best target for the money  (Read 3125 times)

Offline 8up

• Trad Bowhunter
Opinions Please on best target for the money
« on: January 12, 2007, 08:20:00 PM »
Ok I just started shooting traditional this week and started shooting my old bag target well I am not good enough to aim for the outside spots yet without fear of missing the target. So I have blown the center out of the target. I shot about 300 shots this week. I hope to shoot 100 shots everyday. So what target will take the most punishment. I'm thinking "the Block 4x4" 21"x21"x16" but at $139 I wanted to make sure there was not a cheaper target that would take the punishment.

Anyone know what the excelseior(sp?) bales sell for?

So give me your opinions please.

Ron
If God is your Co-pilot, change seats.

Offline redfish

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Opinions Please on best target for the money
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2007, 08:30:00 PM »
I get a toe sack (burlap bag) from the feed store and stuff it real tight with plastic bags and such. Best target I have found.
El Paisano
Ebi-kuyuutsi

Offline tim roberts

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2007, 08:34:00 PM »
A Morrell outdoor range target is the best that I have found.  I got one about 10 years ago, and it is finally getting to the point where I will need to replace it.
>>>Tim------->
Tim

TGMM Family of the Bow

I guess if we run into the bear that is making these tracks, we oughta just get off the trail.......He seems to like it!  
My good friend Rudy Bonser, while hunting elk up Indian Creek.

Offline 8up

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2007, 08:40:00 PM »
Tim how much do you shoot?

Offline T-Mac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2007, 08:50:00 PM »
Ron
 I shoot a morrell bag target also. I shoot just about everyday. Many day over 100 shots. I also have my sons come over and shoot often as well as there friends. It has held up for about a year now. It is getting a little thin in the center now, but it has out lasted three other targets one being a 3d delta deer. I will buy another morrell for sure.

Tony Sr.
Slow down and enjoy life.  It's not only the scenery you
miss by going too fast - you also miss the sense of where
you are going and why.
-   Eddie Cantor

Offline Rico

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2007, 09:00:00 PM »
I have a dirt bank and a pile of wood chips free of stones (almost free) that I can shoot broadheads into,the rest of the time I usally stump shoot.
  You need to get that one arrow not a dz in the bulls eye in all kinds of positions while hunting for stumps. Great Practice,Great Fun.

Offline Islandlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2007, 09:08:00 PM »
Ronald are you using a back stop? Try an old doubled up carpet. It stops my field points and allows me to use the whole target without worrying where my misses will end up..

Jerry
Procrastination is the thief of time.

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2007, 09:15:00 PM »
8up....
    The Rinehart 18-1 Target is a very good target that can take a lot of punisment....
    I have one and I just sold 3 of them....
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline 8up

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2007, 10:41:00 PM »
Thanks for the advice. A morrell sounds good.

Islandlongbow I like the carpet idea thanks

I just tried shooting a bag my nephew had bought and had left outside until a week ago. Its not in bad shape but where it has soaked up so much water some of my arrows bounce back out lol.

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2007, 01:44:00 AM »
Sand.

I had a good target for a long time that was made with 8 bales of hay- free if you get some moldy stuff.
 you use 2 for each side; 2 for the back and 2 for the top that sit on a piece of plywood. Behind the target push a 4x8 piece of thick plywoood for extra safety.
 make the sides and back; and put a yard of sand in it. Then cover it with the two top bales (keeps the wet off too); and you shoot into the sand- for ever - with broadheads and whatever tip - and it will not wear out.
 Bad shots hit the bales- or are stopped by the plywood behind it.
 like Redfish said try feed bags-  nowdays some can repel water; and when filled with shrink wrap- they last -
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline SilverTip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2007, 06:12:00 AM »
I have a big pile of sand in the middle of a lightly wooded lot. You can shoot from different angles, trees,ect. Just keep a rake close and it stays new. I use alum arrows and have never had any problems, But I'm not sure if it would be good for woodys. some of you guys spend alot of time making those arrows. The sand might hurt the finish on the wood. Its great for both feild tips and Broadheads.    

Billy
If Jesus Christ guides your arrow, its really hard to miss.  Billy

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2007, 07:57:00 AM »
I just got one of those new Rinehart 18-1 targets about a month ago.  That thing takes alot of abuse.  I've been punching 3blade heads into it for the last month and it doesn't look like its been shot at.  And the arrows pull out oh so easy.  Pretty impressed. dino
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2007, 12:43:00 PM »
8UP... make bigger bag targets.   I buy burlap from Jo Ann's  It comes 47" wide.   If you take a 10' piece of it you can then buy the single side burlap animal pictures and sew two of them on, fold the big sheet and sew it into a bag, stuff it and you have two animal targets.  When the center shoots out, just sew on a new center.   I finally stopped buying the animal pictures on burlap and painted my own.   Take a look at my range page:

http://www.docwightman.com/archery_Howard_Hill/backyardrange/backyardrange.html

Particularly target #5, which is the first target I enlarged.   I've done a whole new batch for next year, but I'm leaving the old ones out for the winter weather.  Here's a picture of my new raccoon target:

These big bag targets are pretty cheap to make and very effective.

Dick in Seattle
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline 8up

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2007, 01:01:00 PM »
Thanks Dick, one of those would work. The sand options wont work. I am shooting in my basement.

Offline Ghost Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2007, 02:10:00 PM »
Morrell Yellowjacket.

Offline bowmofo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2007, 02:21:00 PM »
I like a small target, so I tend to concentrate harder, and get more out of my practice sessions, especialy durring the hunting season!  MIKE
KEEP IT SIMPLE!

Offline bowmofo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2007, 02:26:00 PM »
As for the Morrel bag  We have ben shooting the same bags at our clubs practice range for 8 years and they still work, we change the cover each year and they look good as new, we do have a roof over the targets to keep them dry. MIKE
KEEP IT SIMPLE!

Offline tim roberts

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2007, 08:08:00 PM »
8up,
Sorry it took me so long to reply, I shoot 3-5 days a week.  It has lasted through about 8 years of shooting a compound bow in to it and the last 2 years with my longbow.
>>>Tim------->
Tim

TGMM Family of the Bow

I guess if we run into the bear that is making these tracks, we oughta just get off the trail.......He seems to like it!  
My good friend Rudy Bonser, while hunting elk up Indian Creek.

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2007, 08:27:00 PM »
Another to look at closely are the targets available from Pacific Bow Butts. I received one yesterday and from the looks of it I'll be shooting at it for a long time.

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2007, 08:31:00 PM »
Pat: can you leave those out in the weather or do they need to be covered?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©