3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: First blood with trad gear! Yogi takes a dirt nap  (Read 4958 times)

Offline team fudd

• Trad Bowhunter
First blood with trad gear! Yogi takes a dirt nap
« on: June 15, 2011, 10:02:00 PM »
I will try to keep this as short as I can.  I have a story to tell.  I shot compounds for over thirty years and almost two years ago decided I needed a challenge,  through some good advice I ended up purchasing a bow from a custom bowyer in our area named Shaun Boyer.  I immediately fell in love with traditional archery and decided that would be the method I would use to hopefully harvest a bear on my hunt in alberta.  So I spent the last year diligently slingin arrows only to find out a couple short months before the hunt that the airline would be charging me an exhorbitant price to ship my bow since the case was over 62"  I immediately decided to purchase a shorter bow so that the money would not go to waste.  Shaun came through again in spades, delivering the new bow with no time to waste!  Mudd was kind enough to offer to put up pics so here is my new bow.  It is ebony and bocote riser with hard rock maple and bamboo lambs 50"  56# @28.  Draws smooth as silk with no stacking to my 29+ draw length and sends a 585 grain arrow downrange with authority!  thanks again shawn!!!  A fantastic bow from a fantastic guy!

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: First blood with trad gear! Yogi takes a dirt nap
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 10:29:00 PM »
Here you go Fudd!

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline team fudd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 10:35:00 PM »
Now on to the hunt.  I booked this hunt over three years ago with jeff from True North Outfitters in Alberta.  We went with jeff because of the quality of the bears,  the chance at a color phase bear and all the good feedback we received from his past clients.  We were not disappointed!  When we arrived at camp jeff explained to us that this was the last week in camp and that he had a cinnamon bear that he had seen off and on for almost nine years that he wanted to actively pursue.  My friend and I heartily agreed as taking a color phase bear would be a dream come true.  Turns out this bear had been wounded twice in the past by compound hunters and had been spotted back in the area the week prior to our arrival tailing a big black sow!  What a man wont do for love right?  Anyhow a plan was quickly formed to let my friend jim have first crack as he had already killed a black bear in the past and a cinnamon would really be the icing on the cake.  It was not to be however and his first evening on stand was a swing and a miss!  No bear!  The next night was my turn and we set up on a game trail the bear had frequented in the past.  I was on the ground and the outfitter jeff elected to tag along and attempt to film the hunt.  About an hour in here came a big sow,  ambling along without a care in the world,  passing approximately six feet from my position.  Sows are legal in alberta but I had my heart set on some cinnamon!  Like  a script from a movie here comes the cinnamon!  My guide whispers to me get ready, he is huge!  I am like,  thanks a bunch!  thats exactly what I needed you to say to completely destroy any last little shred of composure I had!!!! Thanks Jeff!!! buddy!!!  So the bear comes down the trail and decides something is up and takes a hard left turn into the woods, stopping about 25 yards out, and laying down!!!  Now it is a mexican stand off and I have no shot.  This goes on for a period of time,  the big cinnamon casting a glance in my direction every once in a while as if to say,  I know you are there,  I cant see you but I sure can smell you!   All at once we hear a boat come down river.  The bear jumps up at the sound of two men in the boat talking and ambles off into the brush.  I have a discussion with jeff and we decide because the bear is so skittish I should get up in the tree with him so as to better my chances.  It got a little cozy up there and jeff didnt smell any better than me!  We knew he had not completely left the area as we saw the sow again shortly after he bolted into the woods and decided to wait it out.  Once again the cinnamon comes out of the woods, and passes broadside at 20+ yds offering no shot.  Apparently all those prayers and deals I was making with the man upstairs if he would only let me get a shot were heard and the big boy took a hard left and a left again and presented me with a eleven yard broadside shot.  I drew anchored and released and my magnus stinger was on its way!  It found its mark, passing through the big cinnamon and burying itself in the ground on the other side.  Jeff and I almost broke the tree stand jumping up and down like a couple mountain gorillas!!  Kind of funny to see two grown men act like that I imagine,  all the while trying not to make a sound.  After much celebrating we decided the shot was a little farther back than I would have liked after reviewing the footage and we decided to back out and give him a chance to expire.  After about seven completely sleepless hours and a frantic boat ride back to the woods we spent four hours trying to pick up a blood trail.  If I was ever going to have a heart attack it was now!  Worse than any stress test let me tell you!  We regrouped and decided the best course of action was to work a grid in the approximate area we last heard the bear,  went to that spot and promptly found him dead!!  About 120 yards from where I shot him!!!  I had taken out the bottom of one lung,  the diapraghm, and a portion of the liver and spleen.  After much back slapping, hugging,  tears of relief and prayers of thanks,  Jeff offered the bear a gift of tobacco as is their tradition and we proceeded to process my trophy.  This is my first kill with traditonal equipment and I could not be happier. I did not kill a whitetail for the first time in 28 years last year because I was committed to traditional equipment.  My dedication paid off and I want to thank all of you who have endured my dumb questions, and all of those who know way more than me about this wonderful sport who have helped me shoot better than I ever thought possible.  Many thanks to Shaun Boyer from flintridge bows,  coshocton ohio and true north outfitters!!  Thanks again mudd for posting the pics,  I will figure it out one of these days!!!

Offline team fudd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 10:51:00 PM »
mudd is going to post pics of the bear,  I know some will ask how big?  Estimated weight per the outfitter was somewhere between 350 and 400 lbs. The skull is a little over 19" so he will make pope and young!  He squares out a little over six and a half feet and will be full body mounted to add to my collection!

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 11:01:00 PM »
Here's the 1st image.

The second is still out there in cyber space somewhere...lol

God bless,Mudd

PS: I'm sure it will show up sooner or later. When it does, I'll get it up.
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 11:02:00 PM »
Photo #2

God bless,Mudd
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow

Offline JParanee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 11:04:00 PM »
great Bear and Bow
Morrison & Titan ILF & BF Extreme Limbs
Silvertip 1 Piece 57#-Silvertip 57#-Black Widow Ma II 61#&69#-Fedora 560 69#- 560 57#-560 60#-560 55#-Brakenbury Shadow 60#-Hoyt Buffalo 55#- Bob Lee 58#- fishing bows PSE's

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 11:19:00 PM »
Awesome animal!  Beautiful bow!   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Hunter 709

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2011, 11:22:00 PM »
Nice bear, I love the colour. Congratulations on a fine animal.
Earl

"Now then, get your weapons, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me" Genesis 27:3

Offline Passthru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2011, 11:29:00 PM »
Great story and a beautiful bear.  Congratulations!

Offline tracker1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2011, 11:43:00 PM »
Good job and a Great story    :clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2011, 11:44:00 PM »
super bear congratulations. That bowyer have a website?
Make a life, not a living

Offline House

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2011, 11:49:00 PM »
Excellent Bear and great bow, very good story as well.  Thanks for sharing it with us!

Travis
"Dad I think maybe sometimes you think too much" after an errant shot stump shooting with Cameron, my 5 year old son.

TGMM Family of the Bow
MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2011, 11:51:00 PM »
Holy moly!!!  Nice bear!  Great looking bow as well.  Really love the lines on that one!
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline Jack Guard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2011, 12:06:00 AM »
Goooood Looking Bear.... I too love that color.   Congrats !
TGMM Family of the Bow
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline tracker1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2011, 12:13:00 AM »
2nd littlebigman I tried looking up your bowyer does he have a web site ?

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2011, 12:16:00 AM »
Great bear!

Congrats,

Bisch

Offline k9bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2011, 12:17:00 AM »
Good job!!!

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2011, 12:21:00 AM »
Very nice bear.

Offline curlis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2011, 12:31:00 AM »
Very nice. I really like this time of year when the bear hunters are coming in from the bush.
Pick a spot and concentrate!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©