3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Somewhere over the rainbow -- back from the land of Oz (Chapter One)  (Read 16749 times)

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Somewhere over the rainbow -- back from the land of Oz (Chapter One)
« Reply #100 on: June 23, 2011, 09:11:00 AM »
Wow.....congrats Sir!!!!

Really cool pics of the hog with the buff in the back ground...

That is a heck of a BUFF you killed also!!!!
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #101 on: June 23, 2011, 09:13:00 AM »
Impossible! Very exciting hunt! Thanks much for pix & great story. I'd like to know details of your bow & arrow setup. Very nice looking bow. Great Bull partner! Excellent!
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #102 on: June 23, 2011, 09:54:00 AM »
I knew there was more  :)  Congrats on an outstanding animal! WOW!!  :thumbsup:
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Rik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #103 on: June 23, 2011, 10:06:00 AM »
Amar911,

Welcome to the Buffalo Brotherhood Mate!

Nice bull too!

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #104 on: June 23, 2011, 10:15:00 AM »
Excellent! Congratulations on the buffalo.

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #105 on: June 23, 2011, 11:06:00 AM »
Well done sir. Very Well done. Thanks for the story and the pics.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #106 on: June 23, 2011, 11:29:00 AM »
Congratulations Allan, that is an awesome accomplishment...   :thumbsup:  I have taken the privilege of featuring you and your Buff on the Shrew Home page.

http://www.shrewbows.com/
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #107 on: June 23, 2011, 12:20:00 PM »
Great, great story bud!
Congratulations on the adventure.   :thumbsup:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline jeanpaul3006

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #108 on: June 23, 2011, 12:41:00 PM »
Congrats, fantastic story and pics!!!   :clapper:

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #109 on: June 23, 2011, 02:27:00 PM »
Great Story and hunt Allan.  I have been looking forward to it since you left.  Is there more?  Lets hope so.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #110 on: June 23, 2011, 02:58:00 PM »
Allan: I'm surprised they let you shoot the runts of the litter!

Nice job!     :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    

Please elaborate on the earth tone/camo clothing with contrasting royal blue pack. Is that your Thunder pack?    :)  

Having shot your buffalo bow I cannot imagine an arrow not passing thru any living animal. Those are some tough beasts!

Offline GO Rogers

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #111 on: June 23, 2011, 03:14:00 PM »
:notworthy:
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. TGMM ♥

Online Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #112 on: June 23, 2011, 03:22:00 PM »
You no doubt are very proud of that one, nice Buff!!
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline Doug Campbell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #113 on: June 23, 2011, 03:25:00 PM »
Awesome, congrats again buddy!!   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Life is wonderful in Montana!!
"BEING CHALLENGED IN LIFE IS INEVITABLE. BEING DEFEATED IS OPTIONAL."
ABS Journeyman Knifesmith

Offline Nakohe

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #114 on: June 23, 2011, 04:52:00 PM »
Wow, Congrats on the bull Allan. Great adventure from the looks of it..
"Then Peter said unto them. Repent all of you and be baptized in the Name of Jesus for remission of sins and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Acts 2:38

TGMM Family Of The Bow
Life Member T. B. O. T.
SGT. U.S.A.F. '72-'76
Life Member NRA

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #115 on: June 23, 2011, 05:37:00 PM »
Too deadly!
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Zenzele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #116 on: June 23, 2011, 06:25:00 PM »
Wow!! Well done a great story and a great hunt!!
'It's better to have less thunder in the mouth, and more lightning in the hand.' - Apache proverb

Offline Sharptop

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #117 on: June 23, 2011, 06:37:00 PM »
Originally posted by Ron LaClair:
Congratulations Allan, that is an awesome accomplishment...    :thumbsup:   I have taken the privilege of featuring you and your Buff on the Shrew Home page.

http://www.shrewbows.com/  
Ron, As much as Allan loves his Shrews I suspect you have made his day!

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #118 on: June 23, 2011, 06:42:00 PM »
Awesome trophy, Allan! How many inches of penetration did you get? Enough, obviously

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #119 on: June 23, 2011, 08:38:00 PM »
I saw my new "celebrity" status on Ron's website. The Buffalo Bow is an incredible weapon, as all my Shrews are. After shooting it, Doug Burns immediately changed his order with Ron and Gregg to get a bow much like mine instead of the one he had on order. Also, Andy Ivy had me put his name on the order list (he had no way to do that while he is in the outback) so he could get his own Buffalo Bow when his time arrives. There have been a number of innovations that have been made on the Shrew bows over the last couple of years since I had my Buffalo Bow made, and I suggested to Doug and Andy that they ought to let me choose most of the specifications on their bows. Since Doug's bow will be built soon because of his position at the top of the order list, he is going to be the Guinea pig for the testing of the new materials combination that I came up with and Ron and Gregg approved as a likely winner. The problem I will have is that Doug is having the bow shipped to Colorado where he will be spending much of the summer, so I won't get to shoot it for awhile. When I do I will give a full report. The objective is to create a bow of around 70 pounds that will be as smooth and nice to shoot as my Buffalo Bow, will be just as durable in its construction, will look even better, and will launch an arrow as fast as a bow 3 pounds heavier constructed like my bow. In other words, we want to create a bow like my Buffalo Bow that performs just as well as if mine were 73 pounds without any compromises in the great characteristics of my bow. It will definitely cost more to create such a bow, but I am confident that the Shrew masters can make it happen using the materials that I have specified. So far, my Buffalo Bow is the best I know of for the uses I put it to, but I believe it can be better -- by just a little.

The reason for wanting to get a bow like the new Shrew that will be built for Doug is that for guys like Doug and me, a 70 pound bow is near the maximum we can accurately shoot. At 23 years old, Andy is less than half our age of 58, but Doug and I are bigger guys which helps a little at our "advanced" age. Andy's trad bow that he has for buffalo is 75 pounds, is not nearly as smooth as my Shrew, and does not fling an arrow any faster than my bow that is 7 pounds lighter, but with me having an additional inch of draw length over Andy (mine at 29.5" versus Andy's at 28.5"). I could draw and shoot Andy's bow, which was 78 pounds at my draw length, but my ability to hold it at full draw, stabilize, and shoot accurately with it was not adequate for my standards. Besides, my shoulder hurt after shooting it even a half dozen times. Andy would like to shoot a somewhat lighter bow too. My Shrew Buffalo Bow was about the same speed, was far smoother and easier to draw, was far more accurate in the hands of everyone who shot it, was built great, and looked great too. Doug's new Buffalo Bow is probably going to be as good or better in every way as mine, but I want to test it before I reveal the specs I gave Gregg and Ron for it. Expect a review sometime around September or hopefully sooner if I can get it from Doug for evaluation. By the way, Andy also has a gorgeous Shrew Classic Hunter that is 56" 65#@28.5", but is not quite as heavy as he wants to use on buffalo, which is why he is going to get a bow like Doug's if it turns out as expected.

I think my Buffalo Bow is great for hunting buffalo, and I doubt I will "upgrade" it to be like the one Doug ordered unless the performance is enhanced even more than what I think it will be. But if I were ordering my first Buffalo Bow today, I would get one like Doug's.

I want to thank everyone who has commented on my hunt and supported me in telling the story. There is still more to come, although I will tell you that by this point all my expectations for my hunting success had been met and exceeded, so it largely became a matter of seeing how Doug would fare with his hunt. I will be showing more pictures of this big buffalo bull, and will remind you that I still have more than half the hunting time to talk about.

To make sure you have something to look at now, here are a few additional pictures of the buff and my Shrew Buffalo Bow with the EFA quiver and AD Hammerhead arrows. If you want to know what the open, flat area looked like where we stalked and shot the buffalo, just look behind me on the other side of the creek in the pictures where I am sitting on top of the buffalo. We were on the other side of that large, burned-off field.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©