3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Somewhere over the rainbow -- back from the land of Oz (Chapter One)  (Read 16742 times)

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Somewhere over the rainbow -- back from the land of Oz (Chapter One)
« Reply #120 on: June 23, 2011, 08:47:00 PM »
My goodness what a beast!  Congrats Allan    :clapper:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #121 on: June 23, 2011, 09:08:00 PM »
Pat,

It is hard to tell exactly how much penetration I got. As you know, when a big animal like that starts moving, the arrow is going to start being pushed on by its inside organs and body parts which will make the arrow start to come out of its body. The buff went quite a ways after it was hit, and it was moving and breathing heavily which would tend to force the arrow back out. By the time we got to the buffalo there was still about 12 inches of arrow in him. We did do a little cutting to investigate what the arrow hit and how it moved through the ribs and into the right lung. Here is a picture of the incision we made with the skin peeled back around the entrance wound at the ribs. In the picture, Doug is holding my nice Stic (Sticshooter) knife that is pointing to the spot where the broadhead struck the rib, then moved to the right to enter the space between that rib and the one to the right of it. Unfortunately, Doug was covering the entrance hole with the knife blade when I took the picture, so you will just have to use your imaginations of what a hole looks like.     :rolleyes:    If the bull had not been lying in a curved position that spread out the ribs on his right side, the overlapping rib structure might easily have prevented entry into the chest cavity. The arrow is high and back on the body, but the vector is very much in a downward and forward direction to pierce the top of his right lung and angle downward into it. The arrow almost certainly did not penetrate the left lung, but the right lung would have filled with blood with the only exit hole being at the top.

This next picture shows the thickness of the skin on the back of the neck of the buffalo. For reference, the blade length of the pretty little Stic knife I gave to Andy is slightly over three inches.

I would have liked to have done a complete autopsy, but the amount of work that would have involved was not appealing to any of us.     "[dntthnk]"    

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #122 on: June 23, 2011, 09:58:00 PM »
Amazing adventure, well told with great photos and excellent information.
Genesis 27:3 "Take your bow and a quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game for me."

Proud PBS regular member - if you are a serious bowhunter, check us out at     http://probow.discussion.community

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #123 on: June 23, 2011, 10:12:00 PM »
WOW!..Allan, this picture really shows the massive size of those horns. Just imagine all the tip overlays Gregg could get out of those.   :eek:

:biglaugh:

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Online HARL

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #124 on: June 23, 2011, 10:29:00 PM »
Great Stuff Allan,Congrats !!!!!!!!!!
62"63@28 Zipper Nitro
62"60@28 Zipper Nitro
A Doz. Hill Longbows

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #125 on: June 23, 2011, 11:39:00 PM »
Simply awesome Allan!  Congrats!
"Bowhunting isn't a hobby or a sport... It's a way of life!"

Quote: "Everything you read on the internet is the truth." -Abraham Lincoln

>>>-TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #126 on: June 23, 2011, 11:49:00 PM »
Wow, that is some thick hide. We are gonna have to get together for some shooting, Allan. I'd love to see your shrew

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #127 on: June 24, 2011, 04:25:00 AM »
Friggen AWESOME!  Congratulations!

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #128 on: June 24, 2011, 09:45:00 AM »
Congrat on you success
doug77

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #129 on: June 24, 2011, 01:17:00 PM »
Tip overlays!!! Ron, you could file a few string grooves and use those horns for bow, never mind tips. Enough hair between horns for good arra rest! Mind you only Ron could pick that bow up.
hunt it

Offline duncan idaho

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #130 on: June 24, 2011, 01:17:00 PM »
Allan,
       Great hunt and story..Thank you

What are the specs on your buffalo arrows?
" If wishes were fishes, we would all cast nets".

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #131 on: June 24, 2011, 02:04:00 PM »
This next part will be mainly in the form of a short photo essay without a lot of explanation. It is mostly just photos of the buffalo, Andy, Mick, and me. One of the trees in the background of the first picture on the other side of the burned field (somewhere above the tip of my upper bow limb) is where the buffalo was lying when I shot him. Please don't ask me which tree it was.

It may not look like Andy was struggling with the head of that buff, but he wanted us to hurry and get the pictures so he could put it on the Toyota and take it back to camp! You can really get a feel for the mass and length of the horns with the buff's head on Andy's shoulder. It is a very strained smile on his face -- more like a grimace.    :help:    

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #132 on: June 24, 2011, 02:10:00 PM »
Bill,

The arrows are 600 grain AD Hammerhead arrows that Paul Mattson of Badger Arrows made up for me with 100 grain brass inserts, 70 grains of screw-in brass weights behind the inserts, an aluminum collar between the insert and the front of the shaft, unibushings with g-nocks at the rear and 4x4" shield cut feathers. With the 315 grain Ashby broadheads from Alaska Bowhunting Supply, the total arrow weight was 915 grains. They fly perfectly, even with 145 grain Ace hex head blunts in place of the broadheads -- just ask Andy!

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline JohnnyWayne

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #133 on: June 24, 2011, 02:35:00 PM »
Just read this whole thread, congrats! And thanks for sharing your hunt, very cool  :)
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.
-The Way of Kings

>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #134 on: June 24, 2011, 02:40:00 PM »
Really cool reportage,nice beast I really enjoyed the story and pics.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #135 on: June 24, 2011, 02:51:00 PM »
:campfire:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline BUFF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #136 on: June 24, 2011, 02:54:00 PM »
congrats. Mick and Andy are 2 of my favorite folks

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #137 on: June 24, 2011, 03:27:00 PM »
They really think highly of you too, Marty. I didn't wipe out a herd of buffs like you did when you were there!

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #138 on: June 24, 2011, 07:18:00 PM »
Anymore Allan?  :)
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #139 on: June 24, 2011, 07:43:00 PM »
After taking back the head and horns of the buff to camp, we all had lunch, then Doug and Mick headed off to hunt some more while Andy and I went back to the carcass of the buffalo so I could do some broadhead testing. I ended up shooting an arrow into the buff four times from various angles using the same new ABS Ashby head, but not sharpening it between shots. My first shot was from an angle similar to the one I had shot at when the buff was alive, except on the other side. This time, however, the buff was stretched out straight rather than being curled around as I previously described, so no spaces between the overlapping ribs were open. The first shot center-punched a rib and buried itself deeply into the middle of the rib with the point just coming out the inside surface of the rib, which left the back portion of the broadhead sticking out of the outer surface of the rib. Of course, we had to dissect the skin back to see what had happened at the rib. By moving the broadhead back and forth in the direction of the cutting portion of the blades, we where able to pull it out. The tip of the broadhead was slightly chipped but repairable, and overall the broadhead looked pretty good, although it was not nearly as sharp. The second shot was from the side directly though the scapula. The broadhead had no trouble penetrating the scapula, but it was stopped by the ribs on the inside. Remember, this is a slightly damaged, dulled broadhead. The third shot was from the same side as the shot on the live buff and at a somewhat shallower angle, with a result similar to the first shot of the four shot test series. The rib was fully pierced by the point, and the broadhead was buried deep in the bone, but it did not cut fully through the ribcage to enter the vitals. Again, we were able to pull the broadhead out of the rib but rocking it and pulling with substantial force. Finally, on the fourth shot, we decided to use the "perfect" shot of placing the arrow into the meat on the rear portion of the shoulder while shooting directly from a broadside position. Even with a dulled and chipped broadhead that had been shot into bone three times without sharpening, the arrow drove into the buffalo and traveled through both lungs. I think if the broadhead had been sharp and undamaged, it would have gone through the other side, but the arrow probably would have stayed partially inside the buffalo. What this testing showed us was that shooting a big buffalo like that from any angle other than broadside and shooting it anywhere other than the meat at the rear of the shoulder could easily result in a failure of the arrow to cut into the vitals and inflict a fatal wound. That testing guided all of us in future stalks. An almost ideal placement for the shot would be where the tip of the horn is over the shoulder in this picture, or maybe slightly forward of that spot.

Our testing took us the rest of the afternoon, then we headed back to camp to wait for Mick and Doug.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©