3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Somewhere over the rainbow -- back from the land of Oz (Chapter One)  (Read 16747 times)

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Somewhere over the rainbow -- back from the land of Oz (Chapter One)
« Reply #140 on: June 24, 2011, 08:01:00 PM »
Over the next couple of days, Andy and I made several more stalks, some of which got us within less than 15 yards of other buffalo bulls, but the bulls were either facing directly towards us or going the opposite way when they were that close. It is a real rush to be 40 feet from an animal that big that is coming straight at me while I was armed only with a bow and arrow. Andy did have a big gun with him, but I'm not convinced it would have stopped a big bull at that distance if he had wanted to get to us. Unfortunately, it was hard to be hunting under those circumstances and taking pictures, so I can't show you the excitement of that situation. But believe me, it is VERY exciting to have almost a ton of animal coming at you such that you have to stand up and start talking to it to keep it from coming any closer without provoking a charge.

Here are a few pictures of us as we were walking around looking for buffs or hunkering down to avoid them seeing us. There was lots of water in the area (like you see in the first picture) which kept the animals fairly spread out. We seemed to blend into the surroundings pretty well.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #141 on: June 24, 2011, 08:28:00 PM »
Andy was able to film one of our stalks on a buffalo. This buffalo was smaller than I probably was going to be willing to shoot, but I thought it would be fun to go through the motions, as long as I didn't have to take off my shoes and socks like I did with the big buff. In the first picture, you can see the buffalo behind a tree some distance away. I started my stalk and was moving slowly and keeping the tree between his head and me.

The ground and grass here were hard, fairly dry and crunchy, so I moved very slowly and as quietly as I could with my somewhat noisy boots. Next time I go over there, I am going to take along a pair of moccasins that I can carry with me and change into for the final stalks. Unlike Mick, whose feet look like those of the Aborigines and are tough as leather, my feet are soft and tender and do not fare well in this terrain. The moccasins would have been perfect. But at a distance, with the wind on our faces, the buff did not hear or smell me as I moved forward. As a point of reference, the tree between me and the buffalo is about 18 yards away from him, which would put me in a good spot to wait before trying to move to his broadside for a shot.

At 40 yards I nocked an arrow, just in case I decided to shoot him if I got the chance. I knew I would likely be heard by him with the noise my boots were making as I gingerly took one step after another.

Here I have made it to around 22 yards, and I am starting to think that the little bull's hearing is not too good since he hasn't busted me.

If I had gone barefoot, I think I could have made it into a good position to have easily shot this smaller animal, but at about 20 yards, he heard the noise of my boots crunching on the rocks, dirt and dry grass. I drew my bow as he spooked, but he didn't hesitate in getting far away from me, raising a cloud of dust as I watched him over the top of my drawn arrow, with nothing but a big rear end to shoot at. Wow, that was fun!   :thumbsup:

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline stik&string

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #142 on: June 24, 2011, 10:11:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing with us. Congrats!!

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #143 on: June 25, 2011, 12:19:00 AM »
While I was out hunting, so was Doug. He had some amazing stalks and was practically sleeping with several buffaloes at times, but he had the common problem of always having them facing him or facing directly away from him where he had no reasonable shot. He had one buff that almost trampled him as he was hidden in the grass and Mick was 40 yards away with the rifle wondering whether he should shoot the buff to keep in from potentially killing Doug. There were a couple of times when Doug could have taken a shot similar to the one I made, but after my test shots, he was particularly sensitive to the risks involved in his arrows failing to adequately penetrate to the vitals. We did not see many wild boars, and Doug never had one in a position to stalk while he and Mick were hunting. Despite never shooting an animal while hunting with Mick, Doug got very close on many occasions and had a great time. In fact, he and I plan to go back in two years. I haven't been able to get copies of Doug's pictures, so when I do I may post some of them.

Andy and I wrapped up the hunt with me feeling extremely satisfied with my experiences. We hunted to the last light of the last day, but despite some close calls like Doug had experienced throughout the week, we were not able to get a second buffalo. Here is a picture I took of Andy after we had just walked many miles, only to have some buffaloes pass across the top of the cut bank in the background where we had just been a couple of minutes before.

The week of hunting with Andy closed with me glassing for buffalo from the escarpment that overlooked the long valley where I had taken my buffalo more than three days earlier.

When we got back to camp, I was able to take my last look at the skull and horns of my buffalo that hung above the one Andy had taken earlier with his bow. There is a big difference between his buffalo that scores 85 and mine that was finally confirmed by Mick as being exactly 100 inches. We measured it first in the field and then later on multiple occasions after it had been caped and boiled, and all of the measurements were the same. I was literally a happy camper.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline The Vanilla Gorilla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #144 on: June 25, 2011, 01:10:00 AM »
Outstanding Allan!

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #145 on: June 25, 2011, 01:15:00 AM »
Great Trophy Allen.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #146 on: June 25, 2011, 12:30:00 PM »
On two occasions Andy and I went to a beautiful swimming hole that is near the old cattle station that used to exist here before the Australian government bought the land and gave it back to the aboriginal people. There are geothermal springs that feed the waterfall that tumbles into the swimming hole, and being there is like stepping into paradise. Here are some pictures of the pool that Andy and I visited once in the middle of the week of hunting and then went to again with Mick and Doug the day after the hunt ended when we were on our way back to the airport at the McArthur River mine. Don't be confused by thinking this is the same place as the fishing hole with the crocodiles!!!    :scared:  

After a swim and sitting in the warm waterfall, the four of us made our way back to the Landcruiser and headed for lunch in town and then on to the airport for our flight back to Darwin. Andy and Mick dropped us off to wait for our plane, and we said our goodbyes and pledged to return in a couple of years (God willing). It had been a great hunt, but it was now over. I had been wildly successful with a nice boar and a huge buffalo, and Doug was happy for the experiences despite not having killed any animals.

The flight back to Darwin was uneventful except for the sweet little 19 year old flight attendant who oozed youth and charm. She reminded me of my daughter 7 years ago when my daughter was 19. We arrived in Darwin, which this time was familiar as we checked in to our hotel where we knew the desk people by name -- David specifically at that point. We checked into our room, lay down exhausted, and fell asleep with thoughts of the hunt still floating in our heads. Dinner time found us awake again, but not for long, as we truly were beat from a lengthy week of exertion and lack of sufficient sleep. We could only imagine how Andy and Mick felt as they started their second of six weeks in the bush with two new hunters for the week.

As we fell asleep again for the night, we closed chapter one of our trip to Oz, but we knew that more action existed starting when we would wake at 4 am for a 5 o'clock pickup in the lobby by our fishing guide. We had to prepare to change gears for the second chapter of our adventure, which ended up being a wonderful surprise. I will start a new thread for part two of our adventure. Thanks for coming along with us on this first chapter. I hope you enjoyed it.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Wolfkiss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #147 on: June 25, 2011, 03:34:00 PM »
Thanks for posting this thread Alan, been eagerly looking forward to each installment. Great pics and a wonderful adventure.

Congrats on the Buff, and the Boar who didn't want to give up.
Hunting was hazardous, but at least it guaranteed the freedom of the individual.

There is no doubt that the onset of farming saw the end of leasure for the majority of people, who were destined to toil in the fields.

Online HARL

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #148 on: June 25, 2011, 04:16:00 PM »
Allan, this was GREAT !!!! Thanks.
62"63@28 Zipper Nitro
62"60@28 Zipper Nitro
A Doz. Hill Longbows

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #149 on: June 25, 2011, 07:34:00 PM »
Amazing adventure Allan! Thanks so much for sharing it with us.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #150 on: June 25, 2011, 08:05:00 PM »
Awesome adventure...congrats!!

Offline chinook907

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #151 on: June 25, 2011, 11:12:00 PM »
Just awesome Allan.  Congrats !
"Have I not commanded you ? Be strong and courageous.  Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

Offline Jwilliam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #152 on: June 26, 2011, 06:11:00 PM »
Great stuff Allan !!!!  :thumbsup:  I'm very interested to hear about the new Shrew Buffalo Bow in the coming months.

Bill

Offline L82HUNT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #153 on: June 26, 2011, 07:11:00 PM »
Very cool, thank you for sharing.

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #154 on: June 27, 2011, 12:57:00 AM »
Bill,

The new Shrew high poundage, high performance bow is already being built according to the specifications I gave to Gregg and Ron. It looks like the bow is going to be even better than I imagined. The use of the advanced materials is going to make the limbs lighter, stiffer, stronger and better performing, while the bow itself will look as good as any Shrew ever produced -- which means it will be gorgeous. The bow is designed to be able to be built for the heaviest and most potentially dangerous animals that roam the earth and to do so in a relatively light, high performing, modern design reflex/deflex longbow. Because the bow is so well suited to hunting large and dangerous game (depending on the weight that the archer is capable of drawing), it is my understanding the bow may be named the "SHREW SAFARI". Up to a certain weight (around 75 to 80 pounds) the standard 5/8" BowBolt and standard Shrew grip will be available. Above that, the larger diameter 3/4" BowBolt would probably be used, and the grip size would have to be increased somewhat to accommodate it. Of course, the bow could always be purchased as a one piece, but I naturally prefer a two piece for travel.

Even though the Shrew Safari has not been officially announced by Ron, I know the orders are already coming in, so it is going to be a hot new item. I don't know of any other bow like it. This bow is the culmination of several years of using various combinations of natural and advanced building materials in order to utilize them to the maximum benefit. When my Shrew Buffalo Bow was built two years ago, the material choices were very limited. There was a wide variety of veneers to choose from, but the solid phenolic riser and the bamboo cores were pretty much required in order to provide the strength and toughness needed for a BowBolt and for the potential abuses that places like the Outback of Australia or the thick bush of Africa can throw at the bowhunter. Now, with the new materials that have been adopted for use in numerous applications in the Shrew line, additional design options have become available.

No, the Shrew Safari does not have foam cores! I am a huge fan of foam cores and have the first Shrew bow ever built with the foam. It is great for light to moderate weight bows and produces very consistent limbs that are not affected by moisture. In well designed bows, foam cores tend to result in limbs that are smooth and fast. Bamboo is great too and tends to be less subject to damage from abuse, especially in longbow limbs. The bamboo limbs do tend to be heavier, which can result in lower speed with normal weights of arrows in light to moderate weight bows. For heavy draw weight bows shooting very heavy arrows for large game, limbs need to have some mass to move an arrow well. The trouble is that bamboo core limbs can develop too much mass as the draw weight of the bow increases to the point needed to hunt the really big critters. So, how does a bowyer keep the toughness of bamboo and get the limbs lighter and faster while maintaining the draw weight at a level high enough to throw heavy arrows with sharp points at really big and often dangerous animals? That's where the modern materials come into play that the Shrew masters have been using for the last few years. Even in the last 9 months there have been new materials incorporated into some models of Shrews. With all the various materials at hand, it was a matter of designing a bow that would effectively use the best of them to create a state-of-the-art, short, reflex/deflex longbow for the adventurer trad archer to take on safari.

After coming back from Australia, and following discussions there with Andy Ivy about how I thought a better bow could be built for buffalo in Oz and for all the dangerous game in Africa, I started talking with Gregg Coffey about creating an upgraded version of my wonderful Shrew Buffalo Bow. Gregg and I shared our design ideas and came up with a concept. Gregg then took the ideas to Ron who reviewed them and agreed they ought to produce a superior bow. The okay was given on the project. Now the first bow has been glued up and is ready to be worked into the finished product. It already is looking like a winner. In fact, with only rumors circulating, there are already 4 firm orders that have been placed for the Shrew Safari. I won't leak out the secrets at this point, but you can probably expect that the bow will still use the tough-as-nails, tried-and-true bamboo cores that are in my great little Shrew Buffalo Bow. But instead of the thick laminations of only bamboo in the cores, you can imagine multiple laminations of other modern materials that are found in the more exotic Shrew bows that have been built in recent times. Despite the fact that syntactic foam is a wonderful material in the right bows, you won't find any in the Shrew Safari. The advanced materials that will be laminated together with the bamboo in the limbs will allow the limbs to be thinner (belly to back) than the all-bamboo core limbs, but the strength of the limbs will actually be higher. Think in terms of the advantages of plywood, or for a closer comparison, of the advantages that were seen when bows were first developed using fiberglass laminations on the backs and bellies of the limbs versus all-wood self bows. The laminations of modern advanced materials creates another significant leap in performance design. The Shrew Safari limbs will be lighter, faster, just as quiet, tougher and good looking. Okay, that is the theory anyway. The real test will be in the shooting of the bow, but I have no doubt it will be a real winner. Without going into a lot of detail, one thing that has been determined is that with the new materials layup design, all the old rules go out the window. The limbs start producing high draw weights with less material than was expected, meaning that it will be easy to get a high draw weight bow with lighter mass in the limbs and lighter overall mass for the bow. That means a really high draw weight Safari Shrew will weigh about the same or less when carried than my Buffalo Bow, which itself is a delight to carry for mile after mile. Also, the lighter mass and higher modulus limbs will develop higher speeds and cast the arrows faster. My favorite part about that is the ability to shoot a lower draw weight bow and get the same performance of a bow built like my Buffalo Bow that is several pounds of draw weight more. The Shrew Safari bow that is currently being built also has a very nice, smooth draw curve that increases at a steady rate that is even better than anticipated.

I hope I am not jumping the gun for Ron and Gregg on the Shrew Safari bow (or whatever name Ron chooses to call it). I know Ron will make the official announcement to the world if and when he decides the bow is up to his and Gregg's high standards for a Shrew bow. If the bow doesn't live up to those standards, I'm sure it will never officially be introduced. I'm just glad the two of them are so responsive to the needs of their customers, that Ron created the platform from which some of the best hunting bows in the world have been built and can be adapted to new models, and that Gregg has the skill to bring the concepts to reality in the form of new Shrew bows that many of us can use and enjoy.

By the way, I don't get any discounts, free merchandise or other inducements. What I do get is a couple of great guys who will listen to my ideas about what I want and help bring them to life if they seem appropriate. (There are other great bowyers out there who are also very responsive to their customers, and several of them are friends of mine whose bows I own and treasure.) I have been dreaming about this new concept bow for the last year, and once the design was completed with the help of the Shrew guys, the gestation period for the birth of the bow has been pretty short. I am excited, but I already have another Shrew currently being built and unfortunately am down on the list a ways and to get a new Shrew Safari. Fortunately, I order two new Shrews a year, so I am always only about six or eight months out on the waiting list. That is one reason I have more than a dozen Shrews, with one now being built and three more on order. I don't spec out the bows until the last month or so in order to be able to make sure I get the latest and greatest Ron and Gregg have available.

Oh, Bill, don't tell anyone about the Shrew Safari -- it's a secret!   :nono:

Allan

P.S. Ron, if you read this and decide I should have kept my mouth shut, call me and I will edit out this post.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Jwilliam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #155 on: June 27, 2011, 05:33:00 AM »
Allan,
Thanks for the heads up !!!  Ron and Gregg sure do produce some wonderful bows !!!!    :notworthy:   Guess it's a good thing I got right back on the list after receiving my Classic Hunter in March.   :biglaugh:   I'm very curious to hear more about the Safari in the next couple of months.

Bill

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #156 on: June 27, 2011, 07:36:00 AM »
Chapter 2  :campfire:
hunt it

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #157 on: June 27, 2011, 07:50:00 AM »
David,

Chapter 2 is coming. I just need more time in every day to get all my work done and also post things here. You will like it, I think. Hint: it was not your everyday "fishing" trip.

Andy and I talked a lot about you while we were there -- and some of it was good!    :bigsmyl:  

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline tradbower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #158 on: June 27, 2011, 09:01:00 AM »
:campfire:    :coffee:
"Never to old to learn something new"

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #159 on: June 27, 2011, 09:51:00 AM »
Allan "WikiLeaks" Devore    :saywhat: .....   :biglaugh:  

Allan, your enthusiasm and ideas are a motivating force for Gregg and I. We really appreciate your support. The "Shrew Safari" is a catchy name and I like it. I had told Gregg we should call the new model the "DeVore Special"...
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©