3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Somewhere over the rainbow -- back from the land of Oz (Chapter One)  (Read 16751 times)

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Somewhere over the rainbow -- back from the land of Oz (Chapter One)
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2011, 02:37:00 AM »
I got some of the next few pictures from Andy. He and Mick had driven over 20 hours from Mick's home near the east coast, traveling in two of Mick's vehicles pulling trailers and carrying in everything for the next 6 weeks of hunting with six groups of hunters. Here are the pictures of the vehicles on the long road to the camp.

After the long trip to the outback, they finally arrived at the spot by the creek where they unloaded the equipment and set up camp.

The camp was fairly spartan, but still very comfortable with everything we needed, and then some. There was the cooking and eating area that had tables, stoves, electric refrigerators and freezer, a sink, running water from the creek, a campfire, a water heater, and everything else to cook, feed, prepare shower water, and generally make us comfortable when we were up and about. The cooking area and part of the lounging area were covered with overhead tarps to shade us from the sun and heat of the day and retain some heat during the evening by the fire. One of the vehicles was used as the pantry for food and supplies that we used, while the other one was used to travel to hunting areas with the four of us together or to transport two of us while the other two rode to less accessible areas on a four wheel drive 4-wheeler.

Doug and I were under a 10'x10' canopy sleeping on comfortable cots with mosquito netting while Andy and Mick slept on cots with integrated netting/covers. We had a nice bedside table for our things and tables on a tarp directly outside our tent for sitting and preparing our equipment. Our canopy was set up on the tarp that is on the ground just this side of where the 4-wheeler is sitting in the picture. Down the creek about 30 yards was the latrine and in the opposite direction some 50 yards away was the outdoor shower that consisted of a canvas bucket suspended from a tree with a rope that had a shower head and a hand valve. Hot water from the water heater over the camp fire would be flowed into a 5 gallon bucket and mixed with cool water to fill the shower bucket and give us all a welcome cleansing at the end of every day. It was a very comfortable and functional camp to spend a week in. Mick and Andy were the cooks, dishwashers, fire builders, skinners, and jacks of all trades in the camp. These are two very efficient, hard-working, resourceful men. I already felt like I knew Andy to a fair extent, and Doug and I were very happy to get to know him and Mick well over the course of living and hunting with them every day for a week.

Doug and I were very pleased when we arrived at the camp and saw how nicely it was set up. We unloaded our gear, set up our bows, and headed down to a dry creek bed to shoot some arrows with Andy and Mick. Here is a picture of Doug dressed in his Kuiu Merino shirt and Attack pants shooting some practice arrows.

Andy, like me, loves his Shrew bow. I was very afraid he was not going to let me take my 60" 68#@29.5" Super Shrew Samurai "Buffalo Bow" home with me after the hunt. You can see that on the very first day I met him, he already had my bow in his hands and was coveting it. He shot it several times over the course of the week and was very proficient and accurate with it, including picking it up one day, taking a shot from 40 meters, and hitting one inch from the center of the 3 inch bullseye!     :eek:    

Andy is an excellent shot, and when he gets the money together, he is going to buy a bow almost identical to mine, but probably with a few improvements that I have discussed with Gregg Coffey for another "Buffalo Bow" that will soon be built for Doug now that Doug's name has come up on the order list for his second Shrew. On this trip Doug used a vintage Brackenbury Drifter that I gave him that is 64" 74#@30.5". It is a very nice bow, but was much heavier and bulkier than my Shrew "Buffalo Bow" and did not shoot the arrows any faster. My bow quickly became the camp favorite.

The Kuiu clothing is incredible, but it was designed for mountain hunting, not the tropical hunting we were doing in the Northern Territory of Australia. Jason Hairston, the founder and owner of Kuiu, is very responsive to the needs of his customers and has said that in the future he plans to produce a line of hot weather hunting clothing that would be much more suitable for this kind of hunting where temperatures reached 90 degrees during the day and nighttime temperatures were mild enough to barely require more than a light jacket or sweatshirt. The Vias camo pattern worked well in this environment, but Jason is also in the process of developing a green camo pattern that would probably have worked even better. Also, Jason plans on producing a short billed cap for archers. I really like my Vias camo Kuiu cap, but it has a longer bill that obstructs my shooting, so I used a short billed cap for all my hunting. For some reason Doug's draw does not create a conflict with his Kuiu cap, so he wore it exclusively and really liked it for his hunting. After a week in the bush, Doug's cap looked like a duller, browner version of my more pristine Kuiu cap. Some of my later pictures from the first day of hunting will show Doug wearing his Kuiu Merino shirt and Attack pants, but he opted to wear cooler clothing for the rest of the trip after the first day. This is nothing negative about the Kuiu clothing. It is the best in the world for its intended purposes, but some different purpose built clothing are needed to make Kuiu ideal for tropical bow hunting: a cool, light, synthetic, short-billed cap like the one I wore from another manufacturer; a cool, lightweight, long-sleeved (with roll-up, tabbed sleeves), synthetic, tough, two pocket (with fastening flaps), collared shirt; and Attack shorts. Two sets of shirts and shorts like those along with two pairs of Merino or synthetic boxer undershorts, three pairs of Merino or Coolmax socks, a lightweight jacket or sweatshirt, some safari gaiters, and a good pair of very lightweight boots would be all that was needed to wear for the hunt. We used a bucket with soap and water to wash clothes out on a daily basis. Of course, we needed about 3 sets of clothing for travel days where we had to be a little more presentable.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2011, 09:40:00 AM »
Allan,this is great stuff! Keep it coming I can't wait to see some hero pics.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2011, 10:01:00 AM »
Felix,

You are assuming that something was taken.    :rolleyes:  Sorry, but you will have to wait to see if that happened.   :readit:

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2011, 10:30:00 AM »
Such the tease Allan.  Looking forward to the rest of the story.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2011, 11:46:00 AM »
Great story guys  :thumbsup:
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline LimBender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2011, 03:58:00 PM »
Now you're talkin!
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Shoot some Zippers and a Bear.

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2011, 05:50:00 PM »
The first evening in camp we organized all our equipment for the first day of hunting, ate a good dinner, and went to bed dreaming about the excitement that would start the following morning. A little about some of my equipment. I talked about my Shrew Buffalo Bow. Gregg had built it for me two years ago for a cape buffalo hunt in Zimbabwe. The bow was great on that trip, but I never got the opportunity for a shot at a buffalo. Here in Oz was my chance to redeem myself and the bow and put both of us to the test. I usually shoot 50 to 55 pound bows, so I typically do not work out with the heavier weight bows unless I am going to be hunting large animals like buffalo. I spent that last couple of months before the flight to Oz working up to the weight of my Buffalo Bow and then getting strong enough to easily handle it and shoot accurately. I barely made it before it was time to leave, but by the time I got there, I was very comfortable with the bow. I was shooting AD Hammerhead arrows that have 100 grain brass inserts with 70 grain brass weights screwed into the back of the inserts and aluminum collars over the front of the shaft behind the flange of the insert. At the rear end are 4x4” shield cut feathers over white cap dipping and uni-bushings with g-nocks. The finished arrows weigh 600 grains without points, and they fly very well with points from 145 grains to 315 grains. My bow sported an EFA five arrow quiver with the Totem feature that turns it into a one piece quiver. The quiver was perfect for my five arrows, weighed very little (although the arrows were heavy), and balanced well on the bow. EFA quivers are my favorite. With the heavy arrows and bow quiver, the bow was extremely quiet when shot. I was shooting with a Bateman cordovan tab that was very nice in the hot weather because I could leave it in my pocket most of the time or wear it turned around backwards on my middle finger until I was getting close to making a shot. I also wore a Mike’s Archery Leather armguard that was ventilated and felt fine over the long sleeved camo shirt I was wearing. One thing that is absolutely necessary is a pair of safari gaiters that will cover your socks and the tops of your lightweight boots to keep out grass seeds, pebbles, dirt and other debris that will otherwise get into your socks and boots and make walking very uncomfortable. I wore a pair of the standard gaiters from TexasHuntCo that do not work as well because they are too narrow at the bottom, but I had a pair specially made by TexasHuntCo that I gave to Doug that fits much better. If anyone wants to order a pair, ask for the version I designed. I wish one of our TradGang sponsors would start making and selling well made safari gaiters.

The first day of the hunt was June 4, and we woke up to a light breakfast and then headed out in the Landcruiser with our gear. After driving to the area where we would be hunting, Andy and I got out and had walked about a mile when he spotted a big buffalo a couple hundred yards away back in some scattered trees. Unfortunately, the buffalo had seen us too and was staring at us as we got out our binoculars to study him. He looked really good – probably well into the 90s. When it appeared that he was going to keep watching us, Andy suggested we back off and try to go around the side and make a stalk with the wind in our favor and from a direction where he would not be expecting us. We headed off directly away from him and then started circling. The wind direction keep changing as Andy used his wind indicator ash bottle to keep squirting puffs of powder to test the wind. Eventually we got to a more heavily wooded area and saw a herd of buffalo crossing right to left in front of us. We tried to circle ahead of them, but never saw them again. Andy finally determined that we were going to bust up the animals, and we decided to exercise the better part of valor and back out of the fray.

As we hiked on to search out other animals, Andy spotted a boar feeding far off to our left and a little ahead of us. He tested the wind and decided we needed to keep going forward and circle to our left so we could come back on the downwind side of the boar as it fed towards us. It sounded like a good idea to me, so off we went. After our long circle we found ourselves approaching the boar as he fed towards us with his head often buried in the grass as he ate. Whenever the boar’s head was down, we were creeping slowly towards him, but as soon as he looked up we froze. At about 40 yards, Andy motioned for me to come around him, and as I came alongside him he told me to move forward slowly and see if I could get in position to shoot. Moving at a snail’s pace and stopping whenever the boar was not eating with his head down, I approached to within 20 yards. The area between me and the boar was wide open with nothing hiding me. I thought the rapid, hard beating of my heart might alert him, but it couldn’t be heard except by me. For a few seconds I paused to collect myself and calm my excitement, then I raised my bow and drew an arrow. I later found out that Andy photographed my final stalk and the moment I reached full draw and established a firm anchor. Here is the series of photos. You can see that the boar swapped ends. He was faced left when I started the stalk and ended up facing right by the time I drew the arrow. Just look for the tail.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2011, 07:09:00 PM »
I have a feeling the shot was right on the money!

Let's hear the rest, this is getting good!!!
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2011, 07:18:00 PM »
This is moving along really well and with great detail.  So far so good......now let's hear what unfolds with your sneak on this boar.
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2011, 08:01:00 PM »
Edge of my seat!
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline Jwilliam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: June 19, 2011, 09:25:00 PM »
Great Stuff Allan !!!  :thumbsup:  

Bill

Offline excelpoint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: June 19, 2011, 10:40:00 PM »
Lovin it so far.    :campfire:
"A hunt based only on trophies taken falls short of what the ultimate goal should be ... time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and the fish that live there."
Fred Bear

Offline azhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: June 19, 2011, 11:45:00 PM »
More please.   :bigsmyl:

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: June 19, 2011, 11:50:00 PM »
It wasn't the perfect first shot, but the boar was hit hard by my arrow and took off with a grunt. The boar was having a tough time moving; however, he was a tough old guy who wasn't going to just lay down and die, especially since he was now full of adrenaline. Andy and I followed slowly behind as the boar would lie down, only to charge us and then take off again when we would get within about 10 yards. I kept sticking arrows in him from various directions, but he still kept charging and then slowly going on as we would come close to him time after time. I finally only had two arrows left, one in my quiver and my practice arrow sticking out of the back of Andy's pack. Andy decided he was going to try to pull one of the arrows out of the boar so I could shoot it again. He took off his pack and leaned it against a nearby tree. He then approached the boar and reached for an arrow. The boar charged us from very close range as we ran back as fast as possible a few yards. When the boar reached the tree where Andy's pack was sitting he grabbed the pack in his mouth and apparently recognized the arrow as one of the objects that was sticking out of him and causing him pain. So, the boar bit the arrow and broke it in half! I couldn't believe it. Three of my arrows had already been broken as the boar ran past trees or rolled on the ground to break them off. Now he had broken a fourth arrow in Andy's pack and bled all over the side of the pack. I really gave Andy a lot of grief about having the boar break the arrow that had been on the pack on his back! I started getting concerned that after losing four arrows on my first morning I would run out of my two dozen arrows before the hunt ended.

Finally the boar decided he couldn't do anything but lie in one place and try to keep breathing. I could hear the air coming out of various holes in his body. Apparently, so could a young buffalo in the area, because as he was walking nearby he came over to investigate what was happening. When he got to about 15 yards, Andy stood up and said something like, "That's close enough!" Even then, the buff took a couple more steps and looked carefully to see what was going on. I snapped some pictures of the boar in the foreground with the buffalo in the background less than 15 yards away before the buff decided he had seen enough and left us alone. If you look carefully, you may be able to see at least three arrows sticking in the boar (look for the orange fletching), but there was another one that was broken off in him. The tree that Andy leaned the pack against is on the left side of the boar, and he is lying it its shade.

The boar was still alive at this point, although he was not going anywhere, so Andy took off to find Doug and Mick who had been called on the radio and were headed our way. When Mick arrived he took over. Mick, like some other Aussies I met, is a little bit crazy. He decided he needed to take the Stic knife (made by Frank Scukanec) that I had given to Andy when I arrived and plunge it into the boar's heart, so he started grabbing the hind legs of the beast and pulling on them to straighten the boar out. The animal had enough strength left to spin around and try to bite through Mick's leg before Mick could hop out of the way. Undeterred, Mick went back at it and managed to get another leg, stretch out the boar and stick the knife deep behind the right front leg. Meanwhile, Andy pulled one of my arrows out of the boar and handed it to me. Using it as a spear, I stabbed it repeatedly into the hole Mick had created until I had shredded the boar's heart. He finally gave up the ghost! I have rarely seen an animal that was more tenacious of life. Finally he was ready for the "hero picture", so here it is, along with some of the arrows (or arrow pieces) that were much the worse for the battle. It was a good start on the first morning of the hunt.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: June 20, 2011, 12:25:00 AM »
Quite the adventure, alllen! I envy you the trip to oz, but even more so the chance to hunt with Andy.  I look forward to hearing more.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: June 20, 2011, 01:16:00 AM »
It was fun, Gregg. Andy is a great young man. There is much more to tell, but I am slow. Thanks to everyone who is encouraging me to continue to tell about the hunt.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Ray_G

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: June 20, 2011, 01:40:00 AM »
Wow, Allan!  What an opening act - I am eager to hear and see how the rest plays out.    :scared:    :thumbsup:
Sunset Hill 64" 54# @ 26"  "Destiny"

B.H.A.

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: June 20, 2011, 01:47:00 AM »
:campfire:
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: June 20, 2011, 02:07:00 AM »
Sounds like a lot of excitement and fun so far.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline piggy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: June 20, 2011, 02:21:00 AM »
Great read Allan, what broadheads were you using?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©