3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: non resident mt goat??  (Read 371 times)

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
non resident mt goat??
« on: June 16, 2011, 05:45:00 AM »
is there anywhere in the USA or canada where a non resident can hunt mt goats self guided? any over the counter tags or ballots?
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline Wolfkiss

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: non resident mt goat??
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 07:32:00 AM »
Hi Ozy,
          I think non res can apply in unit G5 in Colorado. Check out the DOW. $1800 or there abouts for the Tag.

I think that is the unit where you can take a train ride in, then start to climb and hike.

From what I have read elevation is around 13000ft.

Hope this helps, Andy.
Hunting was hazardous, but at least it guaranteed the freedom of the individual.

There is no doubt that the onset of farming saw the end of leasure for the majority of people, who were destined to toil in the fields.

Offline Wolfkiss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 08:00:00 AM »
Hunting was hazardous, but at least it guaranteed the freedom of the individual.

There is no doubt that the onset of farming saw the end of leasure for the majority of people, who were destined to toil in the fields.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 09:32:00 AM »
Montana has some areas that nonresidents can apply for.All tags are on a drawing (lottery) basis and odds aren't real good.In general,NR's get 10% of the tags so look for units that have 10 or more tags.http://fwp.mt.gov/hunting/planahunt/huntingGuides/msg.html

In Canada,you will need to go through an outfitter.

I was thinking that in Alaska you could still hunt goats without an outfitter but I may be behind the times.Hopefully someone will weigh in on that.

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 10:26:00 AM »
Alaska requires a guide for non-residents just like Canada. You can apply for goat tags in Montana, Colorado, Idaho and Utah.I did for a few years trying to draw a goat or a sheep tag in all the states available. Most states require the price of a tag to apply so for both species about $10,000 up front yearly. About $1000 was non refundable a year for me to apply in all the states I did for both species. Only takes a few years of doing this and you could have paid for a guided hunt in Canada or Alaska. I dropped out of the race and went on guided hunts.
Jack Shanks

Offline TDHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 10:45:00 AM »
guided only in Canada

Offline DHR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 11:18:00 AM »
Non residents can apply in washington, cost is $60.50/ application and it will probably (unless you get lucky) take 12-15 years to draw.  Odds are quite good when you're drawn.
Because hunting is a deep and permanent yearning in the human condition, there is a chronic fury in all people to whom it is denied.- Jose Ortega y Gasset

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 03:40:00 PM »
I think there may be a BIG difference between non-resident and non-CITIZEN of the US.  

Take Alaska for example.  US citizens can hunt deer, bear,moose, and caribou unguided...non-US citizens cannot.  None of us non Alaskans can hunt big bear, sheep, or goat unguided even though we may be more capable than many residents...ahhhh the power of the outfitters lobby   :(  

Your best bet will be to call each state DOW and ask specifically about being a non-CITIZEN.

Offline German Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 04:37:00 PM »
Originally posted by Jack Shanks:
Alaska requires a guide for non-residents just like Canada. You can apply for goat tags in Montana, Colorado, Idaho and Utah.I did for a few years trying to draw a goat or a sheep tag in all the states available. Most states require the price of a tag to apply so for both species about $10,000 up front yearly. About $1000 was non refundable a year for me to apply in all the states I did for both species. Only takes a few years of doing this and you could have paid for a guided hunt in Canada or Alaska. I dropped out of the race and went on guided hunts.
Yeah read the last sentance. The application stuff turns into a hassle and costs money. Tags are way more expensive too.

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 06:01:00 PM »
Your odds of getting drawn anywhere are terrible, at least while you are still young enough to climb the mountain. Mt. Goat hunting is also the most dangerous hunting in N. America, I was hunting in B.C. a few years ago and a guide and hunter from the next camp were killed by falling off a cliff. That area in CO that they are talking about, a friend of mines wife was hunting there, with her husband and another friend, the wife slipped and fell, fortunately her husband is a paramedic and the friend double timed it to nhe train tracks and jhust happened to get there the exact time the train was passing, so they got a medivac in and she survived, but it was only by a lucky batch of coincidences.

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2011, 05:11:00 AM »
thanks for the info guys. doing it guided is a bit out of my league. just thought i'd pop the question anyway.

i guess i'll have to settle for hunting tahr again for for my mountain hunting fix. free permits year round.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline Michael Pfander

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2011, 11:21:00 AM »
Clint:  Montana has some OTC sheep units.  I hunted there 3 years ago.  Spent 3 weeks looking, found sheep.  I wasn't able to kill one.  The state has a 3/4 curl minimum.  So you have to hunt hard.  There are a lot of rifle hunters in there with you.  It is not archery only.  It is a great hunt we caught five different kinds of trout.  We saw griz sign but no griz.  Lots of black bear.  We were there in Sept. NO elk, not even any bugles.  The wolves have changed their habits a lot.  

MAP
Map
PBS
BHA
P&Y

Offline Adirondackman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2011, 07:11:00 PM »
Clint: There are some areas where you could hunt sheep but the area is very hard to hunt and I don't believe that there has ever been a bow kill there. Sheep populations are very low there. You can get a tag over the counter without drawing so that probably tells you something. I have thought about trying it many times but can't find anyone to go along.
"at some point technology becomes not an aid but a substitute for sportsmanship" - Aldo Leopold

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2011, 03:08:00 AM »
Yeah, your options are pretty limited.  If you're really keen, save up and go on a guided hunt in Canada or Alaska.  Goat hunts are considerably cheaper than sheep, when I was looking last year, most were in the $7-10,000 range.  With the strong Aussie dollar and the weak US economy, you might be able to find a deal.  

Some states have raffle hunts as well, I know Oregon and Washington do.  Basically you buy raffle tickets and hope for the best.  Unlike putting in for draw tags, you don't need any upfront money, just the ticket price.  But, the odds are lower.  Can't win if you don't play though and somebody has to win!  The raffles are usually around May, but check the date in what ever state you're looking at.

I must say, thar and chamois are a pretty good substitute!

Offline Michael Pfander

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2011, 11:23:00 AM »
Adirondackman:  If you're talking about Montana I plan on going back next year.  Things have eased up and I expect to take the same three weeks off I did last time.  There is always room for one more around my fire.
MAP
Map
PBS
BHA
P&Y

Offline Adirondackman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2011, 05:07:00 PM »
Originally posted by Michael Pfander:
Adirondackman:  If you're talking about Montana I plan on going back next year.  Things have eased up and I expect to take the same three weeks off I did last time.  There is always room for one more around my fire.
MAP
Yes - Montana would be the place. I would like to talk to you if you have actually hunted one of the unlimited units.
"at some point technology becomes not an aid but a substitute for sportsmanship" - Aldo Leopold

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©