3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Longer NY Season - Southern Zone  (Read 722 times)

Offline fmscan

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Longer NY Season - Southern Zone
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2011, 09:03:00 AM »
All for Oct. 1 opening... and also love getting the kids out...but not with guns...why not get the kids into archery. Why do they need a gun? A kid and a bow and arrow are like white on rice. Everyone on this site still has the little kid in him. Why do we need to make it easy for kids to get them interested? That is NOT the answer. Teaching values and the spirit of the chase is the key. The backyard shooting, and preparation is half the fun.

Offline adkarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2011, 09:23:00 AM »
And remember, we already gave up a weekend in 2005 for youths.  That was one of the main reasons for the Sat. opener, so kids could hunt.  Bowhunters lost a valuable weekend.  As you write the DEC and your legislators, we need to mention that.

Mike S. I never understood that premise of young fawns on  milk and the earlier opener in the NZ.  You do not have to shoot everything that walks in front of you, you can pass up the shot and hold out for a lone adult doe or buck.  No different than in October.  Maybe we will get another week later in the season if this plan gets approved, but until this plan, only an earlier opener has potentially been on the table.
New York Bowhunters - Life Member
Carolina Traditional Archers
North Carolina Bowhunters Assoc.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2011, 09:33:00 AM »
In Wi the bow season opens the middle of September.  I see no reason why that couldn't be the case here.

Then again in WI most gas stations, restaurants and hotels all have large signs welcoming hunters.

Most hunters drive around with camouflage and blaze orange on head to toe. and most people you meet hunt or have a hunter in the family.

You do not even see a hint of that here in NY in the past few places I have lived.

Maybe we should try and change peoples perception of hunters, then maybe legislation would follow.

Personally I am for longer archery hunting seasons.  So if that means leaving well enough a lone or changing laws lets do it.  As far as a youth Hunt, great!  Some other states have designates game rich areas this can happen so as to not disturb private wood lots. Usually they are game preserves and such.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2011, 11:40:00 AM »
my land doesnt get good until the last 2 weeks of archery season, now its gone  :(

guess we will see how things work out
- Hunterbow 58"  47# @26"
-bear kodiak 60"  45# at 28"

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2011, 02:25:00 PM »
Any gun hunt whatso ever that occurs in the middle of our bow season I am against. Charlie we do not want that early opener, the foliage is thick it is hot and it would just give DEC an excuse to say well now you get a season opened a month earlier we can open gun season the 1st week in Nov. No Thanks, our rut really picks up here from Nov. 3rd to the 20th roughly and that is when the best bow hunting occurs. I hope all you bowhunters will not cave in and fight to keep any firearms season out of the first 2.5 to 3 weeks of Nov. in the southern zone!! Also it states above only an earlier opener has been mentioned but as we know from past experience when they give us something(earlier opener)they eventually will say we want to have an earlier opener for the gun season!! As I said leave well enough alone!! I am tired of givin my bowhunting up for another cause, as said above we already lost one of the best weekends in bowhunting for an earlier gun opener!! Sorry guys but I am ticked about this, that is why I am being so addiment about this! Shawn
Shawn

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2011, 02:52:00 PM »
Originally posted by Shawn Leonard:
Any gun hunt whatso ever that occurs in the middle of our bow season I am against. Charlie we do not want that early opener, the foliage is thick it is hot and it would just give DEC an excuse to say well now you get a season opened a month earlier we can open gun season the 1st week in Nov. No Thanks, our rut really picks up here from Nov. 3rd to the 20th roughly and that is when the best bow hunting occurs. I hope all you bowhunters will not cave in and fight to keep any firearms season out of the first 2.5 to 3 weeks of Nov. in the southern zone!! Also it states above only an earlier opener has been mentioned but as we know from past experience when they give us something(earlier opener)they eventually will say we want to have an earlier opener for the gun season!! As I said leave well enough alone!! I am tired of givin my bowhunting up for another cause, as said above we already lost one of the best weekends in bowhunting for an earlier gun opener!! Sorry guys but I am ticked about this, that is why I am being so addiment about this! Shawn
Absolutely well said Shawn!  This is not a good thing at all for SERIOUS bowhunter!

Weekend warriors, and multi-weapon hunters I'm sure are all for it.....no thanx!!!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline ghost rob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2011, 05:52:00 PM »
I'm against any gun hunt during archery season period. If everyone followed the game laws I would possibly be more receptive of it but I guarantee that this youth hunt will be misused. Adults will take a kid with them then end up shooting the deer for the kid. I know for a fact of people that do that with the youth turkey hunts. I wish I could get out of this p.o.s. state but conditions in my life right now won't allow it. What's next?

Offline Wapiti Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2011, 06:53:00 PM »
The document is pretty long (51 pages) and pretty vague. It does look like a October 1st opener then a three day youth firearm season on the first weekend followed by a 4 day (any muzzleloader) muzzleloader hunt. It also appears that there will be no antlerless or either sex tags issued when you purchase a lisence. All antlerless tags will be issued via DMP's by drawing (guess the bowhunters were killing too many deer antlerless deer in some areas?). Also it appears we may be a "One Buck" state.And the expansion of antler points reg in some more downstate areas. The time to get involved is now.
" Take a kid bowhunting"
New York Bowhunters BOD
PBS Member

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2011, 07:02:00 PM »
Antler restrictions are fine, but  any youth or muzzleloader season before that 3rd. saturday opener in Nov. should not be tolerated. All this does is take away what us bowhunters worked so hard to get and now to get it taken away is BS!!! Sorry early season around here is pretty lousy anyway and too make it earlier is just a waste. Tell me who to write or call to stop this new legislation cause this is a slap in the face to all NYS bowhunters!!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline Wapiti Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2011, 07:22:00 PM »
Shawn sent you three emails you may want to look at.
" Take a kid bowhunting"
New York Bowhunters BOD
PBS Member

Offline Wapiti Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2011, 07:25:00 PM »
Drew you have email.
" Take a kid bowhunting"
New York Bowhunters BOD
PBS Member

Offline adkarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2011, 08:04:00 PM »
NYB is already and has already been all over this.  Hope all of you are already members......

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2011, 09:41:00 PM »
Originally posted by Shawn Leonard:
Full agreement here with Shawn as well.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2011, 09:53:00 PM »
Bob, will do! Thanks! Shawn
Shawn

Offline J.Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2011, 09:46:00 AM »
I'm in full agreement with Shawn as well.These proposals are not in the best interest of bowhunters and would only take away from 'our' season.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2011, 12:28:00 PM »
OK, just got done reading thru 51 pages of garbage. DEC has no clue what they are talking about!! Managing our deer herds should be left to qualified biologist not the guys we have workin for ENCON. Sorry but very little sense is made in their whole report. They have a few good ideas but most of it is not real world. The southern zone proposed changes would totally wreck deer season for bowhunters. 3 day youth and than 4 day muzzleloader would have the deer going nocturnal before the rut even starts to heat up. It is hard enough to try and pattern deer in the early season with all the available food and than throw in gun shots going off for a few days and it will pretty much wreck the rest of the season for bowhunters. If they want to involve the youths than lower the age to 10-12 with adult supervision for both gun and bow.  I really am frustrated, what are these(DEC)people thinking!! Obviuosly they are not!! Soon we will have crossbows allowed during our bow seasons. I am a multiple weapons hunter and shoot muzzleloaders as well as shotgun,rifle and pistol, but archery is my passion and I do not want people who have no clue about the real hunting opportunities out there to make these decisions. We all better shout from the top of our lungs or we will become a dying breed!! Thanks for listening!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2011, 12:37:00 PM »
I have started sending the e-mails, but please remember to actually write letters on paper and send them as well. If the legislatures get inundated with paper mailings that has a tendency to hit home a little more as it is an actual physical piece of something as opposed to an electronic message that is easily dismissed. It is hard to ignore a 100,000 letters delivered to the govenors mansion in Albany. Please contact myself or Bob Brown with an e-mail and we will send you the e-mails Bob has spoken about containing these proposals!! Thanks! Shawn
Shawn

Offline adkarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2011, 01:45:00 PM »
For those that are members of NYB, you have already received these if you have a valid e-mail address....We fought the same thing back in 2005, we can do it again.

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2011, 04:32:00 PM »
thanks Bob   :thumbsup:
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Online ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2011, 04:57:00 PM »
Hi Marty,
I don't recall receiveing anything lately by e-mail.  Has something been sent recently?  Any way, keep up the good work.
Ron
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©