3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Longer NY Season - Southern Zone  (Read 720 times)

Offline Wapiti Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Longer NY Season - Southern Zone
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2011, 06:32:00 PM »
Ron,

If your email address has changed we may not have it.  Please send it to me and I will pass it along.

Bob
" Take a kid bowhunting"
New York Bowhunters BOD
PBS Member

Offline Wapiti Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2011, 06:33:00 PM »
Great job Shawn ! Pass it onto everyone you know. Bowhunters aren't the only ones who will see a change.
" Take a kid bowhunting"
New York Bowhunters BOD
PBS Member

Offline adkarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2011, 09:17:00 PM »
Ron P - all e-mails to all regions are complete as of this afternoon.  Please let me, Bob and/or the home office know what it is if you did not receive.
New York Bowhunters - Life Member
Carolina Traditional Archers
North Carolina Bowhunters Assoc.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2011, 06:39:00 AM »
Were can I sign up to NYB?
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline adkarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2011, 07:22:00 AM »
Go to our website at  www.newyorkbowhunters.com  If you use paypal) or pm me your address and I will get you an application out.  Thanks,
New York Bowhunters - Life Member
Carolina Traditional Archers
North Carolina Bowhunters Assoc.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2011, 08:46:00 AM »
Shawn,

I am in agreement with you! When I said it would be ok if there was an earlier archery opener, it  was only archery.   :thumbsup:   You are right bowhunting in September kinda sucks with the bugs but, I usually went small game hunting and did very valuable scouting at the same time (usually on large tracts of public property).  Its nice to carry the bow just in case. I have passed up hundreds of deer early in the year for 2 reasons, 1, I didnt feel like cleaning them the same day and 2. didnt want to end my season so early at the time you were only allowed one deer by bow.

I think the gun season should be shortened considerably!  Where I come from, they have a 9 day gun season in November(over the week of thanksgiving)then Archery opens back up until January!  I think its rediculous you can tote guns for over 3 weeks here in NY!  

Cheers tro all the people who fight for their right to hunt in this state and protecting what is theirs

:clapper:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Online 1/4 away

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: June 20, 2011, 09:56:00 AM »
I received an email alert from NYB last night. If anyone hasn't received it please email me and I will forward it along.
Do not follow where the path may lead.  Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail.

Offline Running Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2011, 10:40:00 AM »
Hopefully NY won't take the same path as NJ, where its any weapon for two months and kill as many deer as you can.

Offline SteveMcD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2011, 10:49:00 AM »
Someday you and I will take the Great Hart by our own skill alone, and with an arrow. And then the Little Gods of the Woods will chuckle and rub their hands and say, "Look, Brothers. An Archer! The Old Times are not altogether gone!"

Offline Mike Spaulding

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2011, 11:59:00 AM »
I think New York looks at the money and the money only.. Most hunters are gun hunters with a smaller percentage being bowhunters, and an even smaller percentage being serious bowhunters (many are just passing time to get to gun).  New York knows this.. so, stick a "youth" gun season during bow.. now you sell even more tags.. dump a muzzleloader season in there and even more tags sold.. This state kills me... lower the age for gun and no need for a youth hunt.  As for muzzle loader.. hardly anybody uses the primitives anymore.. the inlines are rifles (some even shoot smokeless powder and are good to at least 250 yards).. using them during regular gun season is the best place for them.. again.. all in my opinion..

« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2011, 12:28:00 PM »
I continue to be amazed at the way the DEC manages the deer herd. Obviously, we are at cross purposes: they want fewer deer and more income from licenses; we want quality hunting opportunities, which means not only a healthy herd but also places to hunt and ample time to hunt. How to satisfy everyone is the impossible task. This comes up on an almost yearly basis at this point, and we are no closer to a "perfect" plan or solution.  :banghead:  

I may be saying something controversial here, but I think the "youth hunting days" are largely meaningless. If you want your kid to be interested in hunting you have to do a couple of things, starting when the kid is young. First, provide a positive experience by taking the kid with you, even when he/she isn't old enough to pull the trigger. Time spent with Dad or Mom is the real candy.  Second, limit (I really want to say eliminate) TV, cell phones, video games etc., and replace with walks in the woods, canoe trips, wild animal exposure and education. Then you'll have something!

I think if the DEC wants to extend the muzzleloader season, it ought to be into January, not in October when you can't see in the woods due to heavy foliage. (This is a safety issue as well as a bowhunting issue.) As a black powder hunter at times myself, I have always envied those states that had an extended late muzzleloader season.

The gun season is too long--10 days would be plenty, and would encourage those who truly love to hunt to take up other (primitive) weapons. The bow season has to be lengthy due to the limitation of the weapons: it simply takes more time to get a shot at an animal when you hunt with a bow and arrows. That's the attraction, for a lot of us, the hard work and fun of it.

My 2 cents.

Online ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: June 20, 2011, 12:47:00 PM »
I agree with everything you wrote, Susan.  And your statement about the youth hunting days being largely meaningless isn't controversial, it's pretty much the truth.
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline Mike Spaulding

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: June 20, 2011, 01:50:00 PM »
I agree.  The youth hunting days to me are not the answer.  Just lower the hunting age if they truly want younger folks to get involved AND sell more tags.  My dad used to let me follow along with him before I was legal to hunt, I just went with him and sat.  I knew I wanted to hunt well before I was legal to from those days.  I didn't need a special weekend that let me pull the trigger to solidify that within me.

Offline swampsSonny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: June 20, 2011, 03:42:00 PM »
Lowering the age would definitely be a better way than offering youth days which get abused more than folks think.
At our multi weapon club kids under 12 are not allowed to use the range because of state law even with a parent present,how stupid is that
Yes the gun season is way to long IMO

I just talked to Bob(wapiti chaser) a little while ago and there is a response letter from NYB that just needs to be signed and mailed,he's emailing it to me and I'll print up a 100 or so copies to have at our archery club as well as get them to local shops. I encourage anybody that can to do the same in your area this proposal will basically ruin bow season entirely
shoot straight and have FUN!!

Online ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: June 20, 2011, 05:39:00 PM »
I received the notice from NYB as well.  I was working with a gentleman from Missouri a couple months ago.  He showed me a picture of a real nice buck his 9 year old daughter got last year.  He said there is no age limit there, and she got her first deer at age 6.  Obviously she must hunt with a parent.  She is pretty much addicted to hunting already, so Missouri will collect a lot of money from her for life.  He thought our age restrictions here in NY were a joke.
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline Wapiti Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: June 20, 2011, 07:30:00 PM »
Jim,
I sent the letters and proposal to you as well. Anyone else that wants to see them shoot me a pm.

Bob
" Take a kid bowhunting"
New York Bowhunters BOD
PBS Member

« Reply #56 on: June 21, 2011, 08:29:00 AM »
Originally posted by Mike Spaulding:
 dad used to let me follow along with him before I was legal to hunt, I just went with him and sat.  I knew I wanted to hunt well before I was legal to from those days.  
This is what I'm talking about-- I have serious misgivings about lowering the hunting age, because I was a hunter safety/bowhunter ed instructor for a number of years and know that there is a VAST range of both physical and mental/emotional capacities among 10 to 12 year old kids. What's wrong with accompanying a parent even if you can't legally kill critters? What's wrong with developing woodsmanship skills (observation, patience, stillness) prior to being able to hunt?

Also, I was thinking about the supposed plan to give out one tag, no extra tags for bowhunting or muzzleloading privileges. I don't really see this happening, as it will inevitably lead to even lower license sales and lower harvest, which I don't think is on the DEC or NYS agenda. I think they want to expand their revenues, not sabotage them.
My 2 cents again

Online ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: June 21, 2011, 10:11:00 AM »
I recently purchased a lifetime license along with an archery tag.  I hope they don't eliminate the archery only tag, or I will be out some $$$.
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline Mike Spaulding

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: June 21, 2011, 11:57:00 AM »
Hi All,

This is the DEC page documenting the plan:
 http://www.dec.ny.gov/press/75060.html

This is the paragraph explaining how to give public comment:

"Comments may be submitted in writing through July 28 to DEC Deer Management Plan, NYSDEC, 625 Broadway, Albany, NY 12233-4754 or by email to [email protected] using "Deer plan" in the subject line."

Offline Mike Spaulding

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: June 21, 2011, 12:15:00 PM »
I submitted my response to the above email address and did receive an automated message saying they've received it and will review before adoption.. whether or not that is true, hey, who knows really, but it's a start.  PLEASE take the time to submit your thoughts to the DEC.  Thanks all.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©