3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: from longbow to recurve ?  (Read 210 times)

Offline Scott Beitzel

• Trad Bowhunter
from longbow to recurve ?
« on: June 16, 2011, 08:28:00 PM »
am thinking of purchacing a 45 lb recurve to practice with and maybe to hunt with . i have a long bow i built 2 years ago and it's a lil heavy on the draw  weight of 87 lbs shoots like a dart but have a short practice session with the heavy draw weight .
what i am wondering is there much differance in the style or prepiration in the two bow styles .
can you switch one for the other . i know there will be a huge jump in the sight picture from 45 to 87 lbs .
and the bow i am looking at is the martin jaguar takedown recurve any one had any experiance with this bow and what about it   the good the bad or the ugly .

thanks in advance ,
Scott

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: from longbow to recurve ?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 09:50:00 PM »
87 lbs is a beast of a bow! I don't know anything about the Jaguar, but the biggest difference between a longbow and recurve is usually the grip, depending on the style you've been shooting.

Is that longbow your first bow? I'll bet you'll have better form with a lighter bow. Do you have any opportunities to attend a shoot, or go to a club and shoot different bows? That's the best way.

If you can't do that I'd keep my eye on the classifieds for a nice used bow. The new Samicks are good values also. The Red Stag 3 pc is a serious shooting bow for around $200, and I'll bet is a better shooter than the Jaguar. I also hear the Stingray is a fine 1pc.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 09:50:00 PM »
I think you can switch between a longbow and a recurve relatively easily.

Offline nschlag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 10:28:00 PM »
you shouldn't have too much of a problem switching,
lots of guys shoot both (including myself) but i do prefer my curves. i like the grip and have shot them so much more that it is just natural to shoot my recurve.
06 Black Widow PSA III
Clark Longbow

Offline FrankM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 11:26:00 PM »
I started with a Martin Jaguar Recurve at #50. I've read where lots of them had broken limbs, etc. That is not my experience. I've probably put a couple thousand arrows at least thru mine, no problems whatsoever. I also hear that Martin will replace your limbs if they break. That being said, there are other bows close in price. The Martin does not shoot off the shelf, so take that into consideration.

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 12:05:00 AM »
That bow is heavy.longbow and recurve at a good weight for you would be more enjoyable to shoot.

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 02:27:00 AM »
I dont think it should be too big a deal to shoot the longbow.Some archers do have some problems with the low mass weight of the longbow vs heavier risered recurves.So you never know till you try for sure.Some guys call themselves longbow men and some recurve men for different reasons.

If the recurve is a 50s style with a lightweight riser and lower style grip like most longbows then adjustmant shoud be easier and thier may be no adjustment at all.

I shoot longbows and recurves and about every other kind a bow and the most overriding factor for me is if the grip fits right.For me that means low to low/medium style grip and in smaller to medium size in circumferance.

Good luck!

Offline Scott Beitzel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 09:51:00 PM »
thanks fellas will check on a shoot close to me but i don't know of any right off hand .
the long bow of mine is heavy poundage but i've killed two deer with it and i am a pretty big fella 6-3 and 280 so not alot of problem just was looking for something more to play and practice with  you know something lighter .in the poundage range i will check in the classifieds . but i have had others tell me to try several before i sink my teeth into buying one but like i said very few if any people around my area shoot trad. bows so i am limited to what i can get my hands on .

Scott

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011, 10:52:00 PM »
Longbow to a recurve is easier that switching from recurve to longbow.  You dodn't have to cant the recurve as much, they generally hasve a high grip and is a little more confortable to hold and draw.
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Offline Yeoman Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2011, 09:53:00 PM »
I don't have experience with the Jaguar, but Martin makes a nice production bow. I have both the Hunter (recurve) and the Savannah (longbow) and love them both.

Dropping from 87 to 45 should make it much, much easier on your shoulders and elbows. Even better, you'll be able to practice all day.  
 :goldtooth:  

Have fun.
Yeoman
_ _ _ __ _  _  _  

35# Martin Hunter
40# Martin Savannah
40# Martin Dreamcatcher
50# Bear Montana
_ _ _ _________ _  _  _

"When it’s time to die, let us not discover that we have never lived." -Henry David Thoreau

Offline Flingblade

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2011, 11:11:00 PM »
I recently switched from shooting my 70 lb. Hill longbow to a 52 lb. BW PSA recurve.  I started out shooting a recurve so switching back was not a problem.  I still love longbows but I was starting to have problems with my bow arm shoulder.  I am 6'2 and 280 and lift weights.  Pay attention to your bow arm shoulder.  It doesn't matter how strong you are when those tendons start to tear it is the beginning of the end.  The next bow I will buy will be a Hill in the 45 to 50 lb. range.  Good luck.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©