3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: First Deer Hunting Season - Need Advice!  (Read 374 times)

Offline jonbobshinigin

• Trad Bowhunter
First Deer Hunting Season - Need Advice!
« on: June 17, 2011, 12:09:00 AM »
Hello all, I am new to this forum and have plans to hunt this coming deer season. I am located in Ocala, FL, which is in the central part.

I am diligently practicing with my 45# Warf Bow nearly every day so that I will be able to make the shot when the time comes.  I have access to 65 acres about an hour south of here where I am about to set up a feeder, which my friend, who lives down there, will maintain.

What I am looking for is some basic knowledge on preparation. Here is what I have so far (or will be acquiring soon):

- Warf Bow with 45# TradTech BlackMax Carbons

- Bear Kodiak Magnum (on the way)

-460 Grain Heritage Carbons with 125 Grain 2-Blade Magnus Stingers

- Feeder

- Tree Stand

- Quiet Set of Camo

- Practice from where I will actually be posted

My plan would be to harvest one or two for food this year. I am pretty sure the surrounding area is not hunted tons and when spotlighting in the past we usually see 3-6 deer. I plan on getting them fed up well and maybe putting out a mineral block of some sort.

I will talk to some bowhunters that I know in the next few months but I figured I would get some knowledge on here if I can! Thanks!
- 62" Black Bear Warf with TradTech Black Max Carbon 45# limbs
- 52" Bear Kodiak Magnum 45#
- 57.5" Black Hawk Short Hornet
- 52" Black Hawk Avenger 50#
- 62" Black Hawk Bee 45#
- 60" Ben Pearson Varsity 25#

Offline USN_Sam1385

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: First Deer Hunting Season - Need Advice!
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 12:30:00 AM »
Well. For starters, I would check with the local Conservation Agent/agents concerning the baiting legality in the SPECIFIC part of Florida that you are hunting.

While it is true that baiting is permitted in Florida, it is only permitted in certain parts of Florida.

As for the equipment, it sounds like you have the basics covered. I would get a few other small things: good knife, "butt out" tool, and a "Thermacell" for the mosquitos.

As for practicing from the EXACT spot you plan to hunt; I would not recommend that. Rather, build a similar/identical set up at your residence that will allow you to practice more often, and without spooking the game. You want to stay out of the exact area that you will be hunting as much as possible.
62" Craig Warren Black Timber 3PC T/D Recurve: 48lb @ 28".

Offline jonbobshinigin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 12:49:00 AM »
Thanks...I will be following all of the local regulations, some of which I have not looked into yet. I've got the knife covered as well. As for the butt out tool, I just looked into that as well; makes sense.

Anything else?
- 62" Black Hawk Bee 45#

Offline USN_Sam1385

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 01:05:00 AM »
The Thermacell for sure. Ummm.. the only other thing I can think of that you really NEED is a scent control routine.

Seeing as you are bow hunting, scent control is extremely important. Don't waste money on the fancy scent control products, unless you want to. You can get the same results by washing your clothes in a perfume and dye free laundry detergent. (like "Free and Clear"), and use baking soda to shower with.

Offline babs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 02:20:00 AM »
You'll need a quiver of some sort, a good pair of boots is a must, I always go deer hunting with a deer call of some sort like "The can" or a grunt call. And a good rain jacket and pants if your going to hunt in any kind of weather conditions. Good luck
Border tempest hex 7
Border tempest 25 hex 6.5
L.H.A Hayestani Combo 47lbs @28
Bob Lee camo dipped 47lbs @ 29
Bob Lee Heavyweight 50@29
Stewart 3pc Slammer. 45@28
Hoyt GMX & RCX 1000 limbs

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 02:56:00 AM »
The best thing I could say is..."Take your time, Don't rush the shot" When all things are right You'll know it deep down inside You...

If You get a feeling that something isn't right...DON"T SHOOT.

Offline Jake Fr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 03:40:00 AM »
i think the can and the hardwoods grunter are 2 call that are almost a must have in the woods good camo like preditor and good sent control with good comfortable boots as well are the biggest thing i think and practice, practice, practice with your gear on that you plan to hunt with and you will be fine like said above if the shot don't feel right don't do it you will know when it's right good luck jake

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 06:38:00 AM »
I'll go against the grain a bit and suggest that you don't need calls or butt-out tools or special scent-control stuff.  

Calls can work however they can also work against you - especially if you overdo it or if the deer there get called often - which they may during the season.

Butt-out tool functionality can be covered by your knife.  Get one if you want but you don't *have* to have one.

Scent control is best handled, in my opinion, by hunting into the wind.  Buy the stuff if you want but again, it's not a prerequisite.

I would recommend a decent and small flashlight - brighter is better - in case you get to follow a blood trail in low light.  A small pair of ratchet pruners may also come in handy for clearing shooting lanes and cutting your way back to where a wounded deer might lead you.  Again, you can get by without either.

Keep your expectations realistic.  Planning on 1-2 deer the first time out is all well and good but if your primary objective is meat, it will be cheaper and more efficient to just hit the grocery store.  If, on the other hand, your objective is to enjoy the process of the hunt, then you will regardless of whether you even see a deer your first year.  Meat ends up being a great bonus when it happens.

Offline Benjamin199

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011, 08:37:00 AM »
If you are hunting from a tree stand I would also recommend a safety harness and a rope for pulling up your equipment. I am still learning and refining my equipment every year. I currenty carry my bow with quiver and hunting arrows, knife, small folding saw, can call, flashlight, safety harness, rope, climber stand, tag and zip tie (for attaching the tag).  I shower in a non scented soap before heading out, wash my hunting clothes in unscented soap, and I don't put them on until I arrive at my parking site where I start the walk in to my stand.  I prefer to sneak in making as little noise and disturbance as possible.
Good luck, in the end you will have to figure out what works best for you.
Ben
Jack Kempf Kwik Styk  60" 54@30
Holm-Made Goshawk 64" 46@28"
NRA Life Member

Offline Jack Rehacek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2011, 09:02:00 AM »
If the wind isnt right dont hunt that stand.Also dont over hunt it.Your first time in will be your best shot after that, they wise up qwik.

Offline RM81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2011, 09:07:00 AM »
Make sure your bow/arrow setup is tuned well and arrows are flying straight.  Practice with broadheads as much as you can and save one or two for the hunt.  Make sure they're sharp.  Practice, practice, practice and don't take a shot out of your comfort range.  If you're hunting from a tree stand, practice from an elevated position.

Do practice some scent control, but also hunt the wind making sure the wind is carrying your scent away from where you think the deer will come from.  If you're hunting from a tree stand, use a safety harness and a hoist rope for your gear.  Once in your stand, practice drawing at different directions so you're sure nothing will be in the way.  Have a good sharp knife and a good flashlight.  I like the handsfree led ones you strap around your head.  It makes getting in and out of the stand pretty easy in the dark.  Don't go overboard on the calling.  It can hurt you just as much as it can help.  I've never used a "butt-out" and IMO don't think it's necessary.

Learn how to field dress a deer before you go.  Ask a friend who hunts if you can help field dress their deer when/if they kill one before you.
Good luck this year and welcome to TradGang.

Offline jonbobshinigin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2011, 09:41:00 AM »
The land that I will be hunting on is easily accessible so I will be able to take any game to the house and hang it and dress it.

I have a Surefire 6PX Light ready to go, several rolls of paracord, and scentless soap and deodorant.

Some of the main things I am thinking about it what I can do to get the deer coming through a certain path regularly.
- 62" Black Hawk Bee 45#

Offline Rusty Snuffers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2011, 10:00:00 AM »
I know you're planning on practicing from an elevated position since you're going to be stand-hunting.  I'd also recommend practicing from the ground.  It's good to know how your bow shoots (or rather how you shoot it) in different scenarios.  You never know when you're going to walk up on an animal on your way to or from the stand.  It's good to be ready.

I'd also like to recommend the Thermacell, as others have.  Hunting in the swampy South Louisiana, the skeeters can be killers.  I never go into the woods without the Thermacell, a spare butane and the scent strips.

Rusty
Black Widow PSA V 48# @27"
Samick Deermaster T/D 50# @28"
Dale Dye Good Medicine 50# @27"
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost."  JRR Tolkien

Offline USN_Sam1385

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2011, 12:19:00 PM »
They are right, you don't NEED a butt out tool. But for $8 it is an excellent investment. I think that it takes the toughest part of the field dressing out of the process for the most part.

And avoiding having feces on your meat is priceless. (Which I know is easily avoided if you take your time and do things right, but this guy has never ever done this before. remmeber that)

I don't know if you are going to process your own meat, or take it to a processor. If you will be doing it yourself, (which is simple; I could teach you in 30 minutes) then i have a few recommendations for that as well.

Offline USN_Sam1385

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2011, 12:38:00 PM »
Let me just add, that you are going to mess up a LOT ur first season, if you are self-taught. Failure is the best way to learn tho. :-)

Offline LimBender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2011, 01:06:00 PM »
Lot of good advice here.  If you've never deer hunted, it probably won't be as easy as you are anticipating and is nothing like on tv.  You might get lucky on a deer strolling on in, but deer are wily.  

Most has been mentioned, but you need to watch your entrance and exit routes.  If the deer are accustomed to a feeder, they will probably try to bed in an area that allows them to know when you go to and from the feeder.  So make sure you can get in there with the wind blowing away from the feeder and are as quiet as possible.  Also, a lot of feeding will be at night, so hunting trails between the feeder and bedding area may be a good bet. Also, if you can slide on in way before sunrise and sit still and quiet till first light that will probably be best odds.

I haven't hunted feeders much at all (not my favorite), but deer will typically hang up away from the feeder and check the area, so you will either need very good cover or be very still.  They will also notice something new in the area, so if you are perched where they can see you there is a good chance they will pick you off.

When you get busted or wear out a stand, don't be afraid to move.  Also, don't view the feeder as the answer, it should only be a tool.  You have 65 acres, so be flexible and have fun.

Last thing, IMHO minerals will be much less likely to result in a kill than a feeder.  They are great for your deer herd and may result in some patterning, but a mineral lick is not something that really ups your odds for daylight sightings in the fall anymore than most other areas or trails.
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Shoot some Zippers and a Bear.

Offline Recurve50 LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2011, 01:52:00 PM »
I'm not into gadgets and gizmoes. But here are some things you may need.

1. Practice shooting
2. Thermacell
3. Practice shooting
4. Razor sharp broadhads
5. Practice shooting
6. Tons of patience
7. Practice shooting
Larry W.

Member TANJ

NRA Life Member

56" 45#@28" Thunder Stick Mag
62" 45#@28" Turkey Creek Longbow
1966 42#@28" Bear Grizley

Offline kasey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2011, 03:28:00 PM »
Go practice on the hogs you have there.good training

Offline jonbobshinigin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2011, 03:44:00 PM »
Oh yeh, apparently we have large numbers (100-200) hogs out there too!
- 62" Black Hawk Bee 45#

Offline Zbearclaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2011, 05:50:00 PM »
I would say you first need to practice, practice, and practice.

After that a healthy dose of patience and the ability to laugh at yourself.  

I would personally lump butt-out tools with cough mufflers and fishing lures, meant to catch hunters money more than anything else.

Have you ever killed a deer before?  The heat is going to be an issue down there and the temptation to admire and chat about your first will be strong, almost as strong as the meats ability to rot.

Is ice readily available?  I grew up in Georgia where we would haul the deer out whole and go home to clean.  Go to YouTube and look up "gutless" method of field dressing.  

The critters will clean up the mess and you can get home with all the meat in a large cooler and well cooled very quickly.  After moving to CA and backpack hunting my eyes were opened to the ease of breaking an animal down without a gambrel, hoist, and three buddies.

Mostly just enjoy yourself.  If food is what you are after solely then it is cheaper to buy filet mignon than hunt deer.  It is all the other stuff that we get from hunting that makes it worth the investment...  And please don't run the numbers on what you spend per pound of meat!  

Good luck, shoot razor sharp broadheads and soak it all in.  Take a billion pics too...
Give me a bow a topo and two weeks, and I guarantee I kill two weeks!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©