3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: First Deer Hunting Season - Need Advice!  (Read 375 times)

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: First Deer Hunting Season - Need Advice!
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2011, 08:36:00 PM »
I don't guess anyone mentioned this but....  Dude.. you are hunting not killing.  If it was killing it would be a slaughter house... etc.

Ya don't need a "butt out" tool or the plastic gloves.. just learn to do it... God, give me a break.. more generation X gadgets... be a man..be a hunter.   Ya do need to practice!!!!! I will admit, the thermocell might be a good idea in FL...

Ya do need to have a plan... Seems you are working on that... thats good.

Use the KISS theory.  Most of all enjoy yourself for what this experience will be.... a learning one.  You do not become "The Deer Slayer" over night and really its not about that.... Its about the whole experience.

I am 65 years old an been doing this since I was less than 10... enjoy it don't overload it
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline USN_Sam1385

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2011, 11:37:00 AM »
"Be a man. Be a hunter."

Interesting statement there. It suggests that using a tool that makes a task quicker, simpler, and more fail proof takes away from the 'manliness' of the task in question.

I guess I better throw away my electric meat grinder and buy a hand grinder so that I can more effectively be a 'man' and a 'hunter.'

I mean no disrespect huntschool, but to mock a simple plastic tool as a silly 'gadget' is fine. But to suggest a person is less of a hunter or a man for using said tool... is well... just plain silly.

As for the Thermacell... I recant my suggestion and recommend that you bring a fly swatter instead. Much "manlier".

:biglaugh:
62" Craig Warren Black Timber 3PC T/D Recurve: 48lb @ 28".

Offline JMR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2011, 01:05:00 PM »
I agree with the above. Messing up is part of learning and as long as you don't take yourself to seriously its not a bad thing. Laugh at the misses and remember to have fun, taking an animal is just a bonus. Good luck and happy hunting

Offline park

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2011, 09:57:00 PM »
I think the single most important thing to remember is to be safe.No big buck is worth taking stupid risks.Let somebody know where your going and when you'll be back in case you get lost or hurt.I have a cousin who is as strong as they get, slip and break his leg on a log and had to crawl a mile on his arms to get home.Thats the best advice I can give.

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2011, 12:04:00 AM »
Sam:

I am sorry, but I don't see that tool doing anything I can't do with a knife any faster. I learned to do it "the old way" and I am damn good at it. I should have thrown an LOL in there for you have taken me too seriously..  but thats OK because I still do think that tool is not needed. The comment was not directed at you it was directed at the gadgets in general.

I have been around hunting for a long time and I guess I am tired of the gadgets... you can keep your electric meat grinder...  bound to help with all the surplus meat... and allows you to make your owm recipe sausage and ground products the way you want.  I actually thought about getting one years ago.

Any way... don't get all fired up..  it was a comment not diirected at you... you do your thing
Bruce A. Hering
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline Looper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2011, 09:33:00 AM »
There's a lot more to hunting than just setting up over a pile of corn.  Learn what deer do and what they prefer, and you'll have some skills you can take with you. Personally, I have never hunted over a bait station.  I have hunted food plots on rare occasion, but have never planted any myself.  I'm not opposed to it, but I find a lot of satisfaction in hunting the deer on their terms. Now, I will use some attractant scents during the rut, but mostly use some cover scent and try to minimize my own smell as much as I can.

I think you just need to spend some time in the woods.  Deer are creatures of habit, but there's no guarantee they'll follow the "rules" you impose on them. One day, they'll be coming into your corn, the next, some succulent browse or a fruit tree may have their attention. You need to scout out the piece of land and find out what's available to them. Where do they bed, where do they drink, what are the different food sources, etc.? One stand on a piece of land won't cut it. And even with bait, deer and hogs will figure out real quick that those smelly two-legged creatures only show up during the daylight.

By scouting, you should be able to identify travel routes. In my opinion, you'll have a lot more success hunting the travel corridors. I've shot a lot of deer over the years by catching them going to and from a food source. I typically don't like to stink up where they are actually feeding. Of course, a blind or stand near a big oak shedding acorns, or a tree dropping fruit can be a real hot spot.

Spend some time making some natural ground blinds.  My most thrilling hunts have come from natural ground blinds.  They're cheap, plentiful, quiet, and you don't have to fool with your setup much when you get there. Remember, the less noise, the better. They do require some work, though. You'll probably need to have several. I build and modify mine in the winter, after season closes, but you can build them anytime.  Just remember that the woods can look a lot different at different times of the year.  South Florida may not, though, so just use your best judgement.  I typically go in a month before the season starts and make sure that any new growth isn't in my way. Your first couple of seasons will be learning experiences for you anyway, so don't expect to get things exactly right the first time.

When building a blind, you want to have good cover behind you, not just in front. Blown down trees are good foundations to work with.  Make sure you'll have room to draw your bow and that the ground is free of leaves and litter. I'd recommend investing in a good seat. A bucket will do, but you want something you can sit on without squirming around.

When choosing blind and tree stand sites, be conscious of how you will approach them.  The last thing you want on a hunt is for your scent to be blowing out over an area you're going to hunt for the day. You'll also need to be conscious of where the sun will be in relation to your stand.  You don't want the sun in your face, but you do want the wind to be.

Using the wind is vitally important.  A deer's nose is his first defense.  They also pick up movement extraordinarily well, so when you move, do it cautiously and slowly. You'll be amazed at how a deer can suddenly materialize right in front of you.

Camo-wise, the most important thing is to break up your outline. Plaids do this, as do any one of a thousand different camo patterns. Of course, hiding in a blind accomplishes this for you, but you'll need to be conscious of your face and hands.  If you're light skinned, your uncovered face will be a focus of attention to a deer.  I use a carbon-based face paint, but some folks use headnets.

Aside from a seat or stand, and my bow, my most used item is a pair of Leupold 6x32 Yosemite binoculars.  For bowhunting, I haven't found a better pair.  I also use a camelback-type water system.  I've hooked one to my Waldrop Pac Seat and it works perfectly. One thing I'm going to make sure I have is a good camera with me this year. I'm always forgetting to bring one.

Shooting wise, starting in the summer, 99% of my practice is stump shooting or shooting at a tennis ball thrown around the yard.  I don't like to fool with my equipment at all.  I want to have my setup sorted out.  Switching bows and changing arrows can introduce something I don't want.  I want to have my eye used to seeing a specific arrow flight.  Sometimes you might have to shoot in low light conditions and at unknown distances.  I want my arrow to hit where I look. When that big buck steps into your range, the last thing you'll be thinking about is your grip or your release or your posture. You want that shot sequence ingrained and instinctive.  You want it to just happen.

Regarding distances, for deer, the closer the better. You'll need to have the self control to wait for the right shot. Just because you can hit a tennis ball at 40 yards, doesn't mean you should shoot at a deer or hog that far. There may be circumstances that allow that, but mostly, you're looking at limiting yourself to 15-20 yards. Believe me, having a big buck at 35 yards and not being able to shoot is nerve-racking, but you'd have regret for the rest of your life, if you slung an arrow and hit him in the jaw or leg or gut and couldn't recover him. For my hunting setup this year, I'll be limiting myself to no more than 20 yards, with 15 or less preferable.  My heavy, slow arrow has more than enough oomph, but the time it takes to get there dictates a close shot. Come to think of it, most of my shots over the years have probably been around 12 yards or so.

A deer has incredible reflexes, and their natural response to an unnatural sound is to leap away from it, immediately. I like to shoot at a calm deer and one that is not looking my way.  A lot of people make a noise to get a deer to pause.  I've rarely done that. I don't want a deer focused in my direction when I'm ready to shoot.  I've found the best way to get them to pause to have a natural deer scent sprayed around my blind in various spots. In order to keep my scent down, once I'm in my spot, I'll spray some sticks and toss them to various spots.  I shot my doe this past year as she stopped to smell a pee stick I'd tossed 10 yards from my hiding spot.

When you do get one, field dress as soon as you can. You might want to have a cooler in your vehicle with some bags of ice, too. Leave the ice in the bag and put it in the chest cavity as soon as you get the animal back to your truck. And get it to a cooler as quick as you can.  In the heat, they can go bad quickly.

Just remember, you're choosing a method of hunting that has restrictions built in.  Count it as a success if you get a deer in range and undisturbed. Count it a blessing if you get one. Good luck and keep us posted.

Offline jonbobshinigin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2011, 10:13:00 AM »
Lots of great information! Thanks so much. I will not be hunting alone often, but if I do, people will know where I am so I am safe. I'm a patient person and can enjoy the process as much as the kill itself so I'll be fine if I don't get anything this year.
- 62" Black Bear Warf with TradTech Black Max Carbon 45# limbs
- 52" Bear Kodiak Magnum 45#
- 57.5" Black Hawk Short Hornet
- 52" Black Hawk Avenger 50#
- 62" Black Hawk Bee 45#
- 60" Ben Pearson Varsity 25#

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2011, 10:46:00 AM »
My advice would be to get out on foot and survey the grounds for trails and such. Figure out the location you will put the feeder(if legal) and find trails that are leading to the feeder and find a good set up spot just off the trail. Don't hunt over the feeder for they will be spooked cumming within a 20 yrd circumference of the feeder,and the big boys will almost always hang on the outskirts of the feeder till dark. Clear all the small dried twigs and such on the route you intend to use to go to and from the stand so you make less noise(dont enter and exit on the game trail,make your own). And dont clear to much cover from the top of you stand. And if possible hunt close to water or on a trail that leads to water.

As stated practice at home from the same height as  your intended stand height,and make yourself have difficult shots at practice so when an easier shot appears it will be a little easier to make.

Think like a deer and you will have good success,Good Luck.Tim
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline USN_Sam1385

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2011, 06:14:00 PM »
@Huntschool:

Not worked up at all brother. Note the smiling laughy face, and that I said that I mean no disrespect.

I just wanted to tease you about the irony of recommending the Thermacell (an actual gadget with several working parts) while simultaneously dismissing a simple hunk of plastic as a Generation X 'gadget."

It is all love here brother.
62" Craig Warren Black Timber 3PC T/D Recurve: 48lb @ 28".

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2011, 06:33:00 PM »
Have Fun!!!   :wavey:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2011, 06:43:00 PM »
Sam:

Yep... thats what I did...

Sorry, but I can see the thermocell...  (old guy creature comfort although I dont need one here in S. IL. I fought black flies in Maine an up East fly fishing as a youth so I can see it.  I know, and I did use the ole citronella stuff)  but for some reason I can not abide the butt out... too much tradition I guess an I am really burned by the "next newest thing" syndrome... yet I shoot modern made bows, go figure..... Just me.
Bruce A. Hering
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©