3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Another AD Hammer Head Question  (Read 110 times)

Offline Phillip Fields

• Trad Bowhunter
Another AD Hammer Head Question
« on: June 17, 2011, 09:26:00 AM »
I had a chance to pick up a dozen AD Hammerhead Woodgrains at a steal so I thought I would give them a try. I shoot an A&H ACS, 55# at 28". I draw 28". Can these arrows be set up to shoot off this bow? If so, what would be the best set-up? I would prefer to keep the weight to around 600 grains. I currently shoot Grizzly sticks with the 75 grain brass insert and 125 gr Magnus Stingers. I am looking to replace the Grizzly Sticks and hoping the AD's will fill the bill as I really like tapered shafts
Keep em Sharp!

Offline cjgregory

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Another AD Hammer Head Question
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 03:24:00 PM »
I can let you know what my experiences are.

I am a huge fan of tapered shafts as well.  They are the future.

firstly I shoot 61# at 31.5".  I am shooting Hammerhead lites.  I only have 150 gr. on the front.

AD Hammerheads, I found are too stiff.  I can make them work but not optimum.  If you leave them a little long you might be ok or load up the front.  Personally I think you may need to look at the brass inserts if you cant get them to work.  By looking at ADs spine chart it shows the lites are good to 70# @ 31".  I found this to be accurate.  They have a very wide spine range.

I think you can get them to work just fine.  It make take some work to get them to settle down with the heavier spine of the regular hammerheads.  Give it a shot.
You get to keep what you kill.  If it were easy there would be no value in it.
64" Silvertip 58# @ 31"

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 05:38:00 PM »
I'm using Hammerheads out of my Blacktail recurve.  It's 54# @28" and I draw about 28.5" - 29.0".  I have them cut 30.5", bottom of nock to base of insert using.  They bare shaft great with 125gr. points.  I was hoping to use heavier points, but that is what works.  I use the adapter for Easton "G" nocks.

Not sure if this helps, our bows are pretty different.  They are great shafts, very durable.

Offline Chromebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 06:18:00 PM »
I shoot a 54# at 28" 3pc Thunderhorn and also got a smoking deal on tapered AD's.  The bow itself is my "goto" and seems to like every arrow accept the AD's. As a newbie I made the mistake of not bare shaft testing the AD's and cut them to 29.5" like all my other arrows. Well, they have been in my arrow rack every since. I also got the Easton adapters and really thought these were awesome set-ups, but as there name implies they're dynamics seem considerably different than other shafts. So, as Easykeeper mentioned, I recommend exstensive bare shaft testing.

~CB
62" JD Berry Taipan 53@28
60" Super Shrew 2pc 53@28
58" Ed Scott Owl Bow 53@28

Offline Looper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 10:23:00 PM »
I shoot the Hammerhead out of my 62-63# @31" bows.  I haven't found the need to bareshaft them at all.  The broadheads hit right with the field points, and that's all I'm really concerned with.  They are very tolerable of point weight and I can shoot 125 to 200 grain points out of them.

The weight on mine with a standard insert, a cap wrap and 4x4 fletching is 500 grains (with no point). I imagine that if you cut them to 29", they'll weigh around 450 grains, but you'd probably need to go with a 200 grain head (at least) and need to use the 100 grain brass insert.  You'll then be around 750 grains.

If you want to keep the weight around 600, you'll need to go with the Lites, or maybe even go with the regular Trad or even the Trad Lites. It might be worth it to get a test kit of the different AD shafts from 3 Rivers.  I'd get that before I started cutting the shafts you have.  You'll have a lot easier time selling the Hammerheads full length than you will if you cut them to 29".

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©