3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Need help with Excel hunting bow  (Read 189 times)

Offline johnnyc

• Trad Bowhunter
Need help with Excel hunting bow
« on: June 16, 2011, 01:49:00 PM »
Looking to put together a Hoyt Excel hunting bow on a budget.  My archery shop can get me a 21 inch riser for $134 which   sounds reasonable enough.  But they are more familiar with compounds said the didn't think I could get over 35 lbs out of it which doesn't sound right after my research.
  Looking to get  some BlackMax limbs, but need help figuring what limbs to get? Long, Medium or short and what poundage to get.  I need to have 40 lbs to legally bowhunt with.  Would like it to be a 45-50lb setup.  
  Also, when I buy the riser, does it include limb bolts, or do the limbs come with limb bolts?
  Also with limb suggestions I'll need to know what length string to go with this?
  Thanks

Offline AJP66

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Need help with Excel hunting bow
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 06:23:00 PM »
Limb bolts come with the riser. On a 21" riser shorts give you a 62" bow, mediums 64" and longs 66". Which you should get depends on draw length and personal preferance. Tradtech limbs are rated on a 17" riser so they should be about 4 lbs less on a 21.

Offline johnnyc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 09:39:00 AM »
Thanks,
That's the info I needed.

Offline Carbonkiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 11:18:00 AM »
BUT! due to the pad angles on the excel if you use the black max limbs you will only loose 2# at the most. i have 2 excels with these limbs and love them!!

Offline Bails

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 11:46:00 AM »
I'm going the same route with the Excel rider and tradtech limbs, so if want to achieve a 53# hunting longbow and my drawlength is 27" which limbs should I get and what poundage ????
We are here for a good time , not a long time .

Offline Turkeys Fear Me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 01:45:00 PM »
Don't forget that your limb length can have an effect on smoothness at different draw lengths.  If it were me, if your draw length is 28 inches or more, I would stay away from the short limbs.

Offline Reaper TN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 01:58:00 PM »
I have two 21 inch Hoyt Excels with TT limbs on them.  Not sure about the black max limbs, but the carbon/woods are rated on a 17 inch riser, the glass/wood limbs on a 19 inch riser.  Your Excel will come with a manual that will tell you correct string length for the length of your particular limb.  My med limbs make a 64 inch bow and requires a 61 inch string.

Bails....the TT glass/wood longbow limbs are rated on a 19 inch riser.  The 50 lb limbs should put you right where you want to be maxed out. But, I would email or talk to the fellas at TT before I ordered any limbs to see what they have to say though.
TT Pinnacle II  45# 62"
Hoyt Excel  50# 64"

Offline roy easom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 02:07:00 PM »
wht reaper said

Offline Bails

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011, 02:15:00 PM »
Thanks Reaper, your a star. I'll contact the guys at TT like you suggest and make the perfect set-up. What do you use for shooting your arrows ie raised shelf, rest , plunger or launcher?

Offline Carbonkiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2011, 02:59:00 PM »
when you call ask to speak to john wert...he's the expert on the matter.

Offline Claymore

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2011, 05:32:00 PM »
I have a 23 inch Excel riser and long Black Max Glass wood limbs. John measured mine for me before shipping. For some reason the limbs were marked 35# and that is what they measured on my riser. I have measured them as well and they come out the same. That is 35@30. Maybe miss marker or something. I really like this bow.
Don Dow 37@30
HH Cougar 38@30
Hoyt Excel 38@30

Offline Reaper TN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2011, 05:47:00 PM »
I use a NAP centerest flipper, they are adjustable, easy to tune with and bulletproof.  There are lots of other rests, plungers, etc., out there that you could use, but I have used these rests on my Excels and a couple Bear warf bows with great results.
TT Pinnacle II  45# 62"
Hoyt Excel  50# 64"

Offline Bails

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2011, 05:51:00 PM »
Thanks Reaper, will pm you if I have any issues  ;)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©