3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Your Elk Bow  (Read 1349 times)

Offline xia_emperor

• Trad Bowhunter
Your Elk Bow
« on: June 27, 2007, 09:29:00 AM »
What wieght bow do you use for Elk Hunting.
“instinctive archery” is more like playing the violin. Without practice you may remember the mechanics, but you will not be a virtuoso.

62" titan riser and samick master limbs 50@28

Offline B.O.D.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Your Elk Bow
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 09:42:00 AM »
if i was gonna, it would be 50-55#'s.  :)

Offline xia_emperor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 12:03:00 PM »
TTT
“instinctive archery” is more like playing the violin. Without practice you may remember the mechanics, but you will not be a virtuoso.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2007, 12:23:00 PM »
I am surprised by the number of over 60#ers. I'm feeling a little puny at 55#!

Offline xia_emperor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2007, 03:59:00 PM »
same here, WOW! I think 50Lbs is more then enough and makes the shoot easier as well .

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2007, 06:00:00 PM »
In Oregon you have to have 50# for elk. So, I went with 55#.

Offline Dave2old

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2007, 07:04:00 PM »
It's an empty question without first establishing what your arrows weigh, what sort of broadheads you use, how good a shot you are when a 600-pound deer with a tree on its head is blowing snot and screaming in your face and you've just climbed a steep slope at 10,000 feet altitude ... and how close you can get. Answer those Absolutely Essential Questions, and we can then intelligently and ethically discuss what weight bow to use. And only then.

For what's it's worth, this year I'll be shooting 55# with 610 grains of wood at 170 fps, 2-blade broadheads, and proven ambush set-up for 14 yards. Through long practice, this is a sure thing for a pass-through and quick kill (to heck with "bleeder blades for good blood trails" if you can get them down within sight) ... unless I shoot 3 feet over the monster's back from staring at the antlers even while chanting "pick a spot! pick a spot!"

Why bring a sandwich to a banquet? Come prepared. Return home guiltless, even if not always "successful." dave

Offline elk ninja

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2007, 07:12:00 PM »
Well said as always Dave, I am a big fan of yours and your "philosofies"... I am shooting a 57# (at my 25.5" draw), spitting out 575gr arrows.  

Why bring a sandwich to a banquet? Come prepared. Return home guiltless, even if not always "successful."

Perfect, Dave, perfect.
>>>--Semper-Fi--->

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2007, 07:39:00 PM »
Dave: with all due respect and I'm serious about respect.    :scared:    

Your state is going to be covered up with flatlanders like myself that have no idea how we will respond to that 600# deer blowing snot until it happens. (Gosh, I hope it happens.) But if we can't shoot our bow accurately at home it's doubtful we will improve at 10,000 feet. I would be real surprised if anyone responding to this poll on this site did not have appropriate arrows and broadheads when they left for their elk hunt.    :)  

Thanks for your contributions Dave.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2007, 07:42:00 PM »
I don't think anyone would disagree with the importance of arrows, what broadhead for best results, being prepared physically and mentally, etc.  I checked this out to due to curiosity of what the average draw weight was for elk. The draw weight is just a starting point.

Offline Claypipe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2007, 08:23:00 PM »
I only shoot 50# but my arrows weigh 630 to 640 with 125 grn Magnus vented 2 blade heads.  Have never shot an elk but I would trust my setup to 20 yards.  :thumbsup:
I love animals!  They're delicious!

Offline Barney

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2007, 09:13:00 PM »
Originally posted by xia_emperor:
same here, WOW! I think 50Lbs is more then enough and makes the shoot easier as well .
It probably is enough, with the proper shot. But what's wrong with shooting more wt. if you can, fairly easily even in the cold. Been shooting for over 25 yrs. and still have no problem with heavier weights (yet). I say shoot as much as you can easily when it counts.   :thumbsup:

Offline xia_emperor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2007, 09:04:00 AM »
Dave I just wanted to see what type of bow weights are being used. I just figured people are shooting a Med to Heavy arrow. So it is not empty question, just a simple one.
Dave, I love sandwiches, and never feel there is a wrong place to eat one.

I am not saying it is wrong to shooting heavy bows, but everyone talk about proper shoot placement, and arrow being the most important, so would it not be better to make a more comfortable shoot. That equals better chance for success and better chance for a well placed shoot. More is not always better, if I can hit the Nail every time with a lighter hammer and still drive it into the wood then that is what I will do.

I am not here to upset anyone and I am not looking for a fight, so put your gloves away. Thanks!

Offline xia_emperor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2007, 09:33:00 AM »
Dave one more thing. why would you need to bring a Sandwich to a banquet? A banquet is a large public meal or feast, complete with main courses and desserts. a Sandwich would be over Prepared? so that is good?

Offline Brute killer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2007, 10:46:00 AM »
The bow I'll be carrying (YIPEE) is 63@30.
Martin
"The first deer that gets close enough and I'm goin Womack on his ass!! " Charlie Lamb

Offline possumtrot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2007, 10:58:00 AM »
I purchased a used set of BW limbs that are 60#@28 and have been shooting them for a month or so getting used to the #age. I was shooting pretty good but seemed to be a little overbowed. I was leaning towards shooting my ACS 53# with 600 grn Sitka/Stos or Ace 2 blade when the draw results came in. NO elk hunting this year for me in NM   "[dntthnk]"  .... John
possumtrot

Offline Ausable

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2007, 11:44:00 AM »
I will be shooting a 55# longbow and a POC tipped with a magnus, total arrow weight of 550gr. First elk hunt for me and I can't wait!
McCullough Griffin x 2
Meland Pronghorn
Morrison Shawnee
Migliorato Mohawk

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2007, 01:34:00 PM »
I gotta put my 2 cents worth in here even though i've never taken an elk with a trad bow...YET! I will this fall, i'm sure.

The state of oregon requires a minimum of 50 pounds....i believe that to be a wise minumum weight myself too....Those ribs on an elk would stop an arrow at 35 pounds if you were unfortunate enough to hit one dead center...the advantage of a high poundage bow shooting a heavy arrow is kinetic energy....ideally something powerful enough to bust a rib going in.

the more punch you get get out of that arrow when shooting elk, the better in my opinion...shot placement dont mean much if you cant get through the rib cage...Kirk

Offline xia_emperor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2007, 03:19:00 PM »
well what does it take to punch throuth an elk rib? KE (kenatic energy) I am more interasted in facts then personel feelings.

Offline MW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2007, 03:35:00 PM »
I would agree that arrow weight plays a big part.

I am a little light shooting 520 grains but it is out of a 74# draw at 210FPS.

It works ok.
<---TGMM Family of the bow---<<<<

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©