3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Comptons, tow trucks, waiting rooms and arrow help  (Read 347 times)

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
Comptons, tow trucks, waiting rooms and arrow help
« on: June 18, 2011, 09:52:00 AM »
For the lack of a better term, yesterday sucked.

On the way to a day visit to Comptons, the bearings on the front drivers side wheel completely blew out. My GMC truck was totally undriveable. I couldn't even go 5mph's on the shoulder.

So, instead of spending a whole day combing every table for cool stuff and shooting some bows, I sat on the side of the highway for about 90 minutes waiting for a tow truck, then the better part of 3 hours sitting in a dealership waiting room. Then I was given a $700 goodbye kiss at the dealership. Yesterday sucked.

I did make it to Comptons for about an hour. Just long enough to pick up my new Owl Bow. It's super sweet. 67", 43lbs.

My question is, I want to go back to Comptons tomorrow and get some nice cedar arrows for it. I'd like something a bit on the fancy side, to match Ed Scott's incredible work.

I'm ignorant on cedar arrows and will accept any good advice.

If limited in time down there, any advice on which cedar arrow booth(s) I should hit first, that would have nice custom "crested" cedars, for a lower weight selfbow?

I'm thinking something in the high 400's grain wise. Any advice on what I should ask for?

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Comptons, tow trucks, waiting rooms and arrow help
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 10:02:00 AM »
What part of Michigan are you from?  If your close to me, come over and I'll show you how to make your own.  You might find it enjoyable creating them yourself.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 10:09:00 AM »
I'm in Rockford, by Grand Rapids. For now, I'm happy to "stimulate the economy" and I'll just buy a half dozen.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 10:45:00 AM »
stop at as many booths as You can.. Ask if they have any test arrows so You can find the right ones, Some may have test arrows others may Not..

Take your bow with You in case... many of the dealers are willing to help You out and most likely tell what spine You need.

Once You find Your spine, You can start making Your Own Arrows... Lots of Help here to build them plus  Mike Vines, Offered to help You make them.

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 11:25:00 AM »
Yeah, I was planning on bring the bow and hopefully being about to bareshaft something or at least figure a good spine.

Offline JMR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 11:55:00 AM »
Mojostick, if you don't find something at Compton's, which I'm sure you will, you could try traditional outdoor supply. They just moved from Sand Lake to a place on M57. Tom has helped me and my brother in law with arrows in the past. He has his store located inside of another sport shop called Black Dog Outfitters. Its not far off of 131 to the east towards Greenville. Congrats and good luck with the new bow. Sorry about the truck and the long winded post.

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2011, 12:16:00 PM »
Oh yeah, I know Tom well and have already been in the new store twice already. He didn't have any "wow factor" cedars. That's what I'm looking for to match the new Owl bow, if that makes sense.
I'm looking for a 1/2 dozen of decked out looking cedars like you'd see on the cover of Traditional Bowhunter. LOL

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2011, 02:00:00 PM »
I was leaving a friend's house at age 18 late one night. It was cold. Frost was on the windows. I fired up my car and rushed the proess trying to leave before the frost was off the wndows and the engine warmed up.

Next to his house was a RR track. I had to cross it to get to the main road. This was years ago when not every crossing had lights and arms; Just a sign to stop before crossing. I left his driveway, turned right to cross the tracks on the dirt road to get to the main road. The car stalled. I tried to start it but it wouldn't fire. Then I heard the train rush by the tracks I was about to cross. I never heard it. Never heard a horn. Nothing but a dead engine.

A rush of adrenaline flooded me. I just about died and I knew it.

The car started without a hiccup after the train passed and I had setteld down. It started every time thereafter up until the day I traded it.

Crap happens. Sometimes for a reason but at the moment we only think it's crap.

I hope this helps.

As for the arrows, I'd take the bow and do what others have suggested. Alot of vendors have test arrows and their experience can get you real close even without testing.

Hope you return trip is/was better.

Bud
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2011, 08:40:00 PM »
How about some pics of that new Owl!?!?!?

Can't be talkin' bout Owl bows without some pics!

Sorry about your day, but at least you got your bow.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2011, 08:41:00 PM »
True North arrows had some neat looking arrows as did Whitetail Arrows. True North is right behind the Stalker booth and Whitetail Arrows is across from the Zipper booth. Good luck!
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2011, 08:44:00 PM »
Awesome! Thanks.

Offline ripforce56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2011, 08:57:00 PM »
FYI LimbLover just moved to Belmont, we have been to Black dog Outfitters several times the store is great, My son is looking for Trad shooters in the Rockford area!
BirchBark Rovers Custom Quivers 
Bama Royal Expedition T/D  #00027
Root Target Master 66in 40@28
SF Forged Plus/Carbon Elite 40lb Limbs 68in ILF
Schramm Recurve 62in 46@28

Schramm 62in Recurve 46@28

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2011, 09:11:00 PM »
I live in Belmont! I say Rockford because nobody knows where Belmont is. I'm right off of Herrington rd.

I've got three 3D's in the back yard. A deer, turkey and a bear.

Where is he in Belmont?

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2011, 09:55:00 PM »
Sorry about your truck, and a Friday spent the way it was. Friday, June 17th 2011, did indeed suck. (for me too) But it`s over.

At least you finally made it to the shoot, and you got to pick up your new bow.

No advice on arrows, but when a tank of gas costs what it does, $700.00 bucks to change a wheel bearing assembly is not too bad. In fact, when a tank of gas costs what it does, a new bow is CHEAP in comparison.

We went bowfishing today, because the gas from my house to Berrien Springs was just too much. We got some sun, a ton of laughs, and nine, Long Nosed Gar. We talked about the memories from our first attendance of Comptons. All smiles.

I hope your glass is half full, and your new bow fits.   :campfire:

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2011, 11:38:00 PM »
Sure missed you folks BoneBuster. Only our second year, but yes, I can tell attendance is down from last year and $$$ is tight. Start saving your change in mason jars like we did for Compton gas for next year. As soon as we got home last year Mason and I started a jar on our dresser. Hope to see you next year bud !
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2011, 12:03:00 AM »
Mojo,

I'd check out Paul jalon at Elite Arrows....

Let us know if you find some at comptons...

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2011, 11:18:00 AM »
Owlbait,

Thanks for the heads up. I went back on Sunday and got some sweet custom cedars.

Both gentlemen were very friendly and helpful and had great looking arrows. But only Whitetail Arrows had what I needed still in stock there, so I bought some from him.

True North had some killer looking blue stained cedar, with varied blue cresting that I would have bought in a heartbeat, but the spine was no good for what I needed. I'll order some from him in the future.

Offline true north j.c.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2011, 02:33:00 PM »
Owlbait,  thanks for the referrals,  the Compton show was great for me thanks again [email protected]
every hunt is an adventure....
hunt hard & don t quit....

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2011, 04:16:00 PM »
I was the guy you talked to with the new Owl bow on Sunday. I'll be getting some of your blue stained, blue feather crest arrows in 45-50 in the near future.

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2011, 05:58:00 PM »
BAD WHEEL BEARINGS!!  I HATE them!!  My son and I were on our way back from the Wensel Pig Gig last year when my front driver's side bearings went out 100 miles from home.  At least it was on the way BACK . . . that's what hard driving on the ruttttty Lambshead Ranch can do for you:^(
Gary Logsdon

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©