3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What lam material?  (Read 807 times)

Offline guzzi2000

• Trad Bowhunter
What lam material?
« on: January 12, 2007, 08:38:00 PM »
A friend of mine is going to build a longbow for me. He has built several reflex-deflex bows and has taken many nice whitetails,four bear and atleast one caribou with his bows. I shot his bow and found it very smooth 55# @28 64 inches. The bow limbs are four lams bamboo back and belly and actionwood inner lams.
When we talked about what I wanted for limbs I decided on red elm with bamboo inner lams. However, recent posts I have read seemed to be suggesting that yew would be a better choice instead of bamboo.
What combinations of lam choices would you guys suggest. I'm currently shooting a viper which seems to stack pretty quick. I did take my first bow deer with it, an 8pt. This is my first year shooting trad, but I would like to have a smoother shooting bow.
"Our arrows will blot out the sun." "Then we will fight in the shade."

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What lam material?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2007, 11:16:00 PM »
Red elm and bamboo is a great combo.Haven't had much experience with yew but it is as good core wood as many others.I had alot of bows with all red elm lams,that is a great limb core you can use edge or flat grain.Another one of my favorites is black cherry,you don't hear much about it but I think is an excellent preformer.I like the look of aged osage also.

Offline Pete W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2007, 05:57:00 AM »
I like bamboo, however the Bowyer is the best one to answer your question. He will know what works best in his bows.
Share your knowledge and ideas.

Offline Dalebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2007, 08:31:00 AM »
With Elm you don't need a core it is snappy and has great cast. Go with elm, its cheaper and you won't know the difference with a bow like that, plus Yew (which I love and have several bows from) is toxic to some.  Most good bowyers will tell you the average person can't tell the difference beteween two good limb woods.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©