3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A boy and his dog  (Read 548 times)

Offline TradDad

• Trad Bowhunter
A boy and his dog
« on: June 18, 2011, 05:51:00 PM »
So I’ll try and make this is short and sweet as possible.  Although I’ve been shooting for a while, it’s mostly been wheelies and I’ve always just picked up a “standard” arrow down at the shop and went with it.  Saying that; I’ve never been qualified to hunt, but that is my end goal.  Thanks to the St. Jude auction and Maddog Archery I’m finally taking the plunge and going ALL traditional.  So far all purposes let’s say I have nothing except an arm guard, shooting tab, quiver and heart.

I’ve been trolling the forums, reading newbie info and OL’s bow tuning page, but still have some questions.  The bow isn’t here yet, but Mike says: Maddog midsize longbow - 60" long 40# - 45# @ 28", black fiberglass, modern string compatible.  I know I draw a longbow to 29” for sure.

I don’t want to put the cart before the horse but after reading it sounds like I’m in store for some bareshaft tuning?    :help:  

Any and all answers, comments, guidance accepted!

Josh    :notworthy:
But his bow abode in strength, and the arms of his hands were made strong by the hands of the mighty God of Jacob;(from thence is the shepherd, the stone of Israel:) -Genesis 49:24

Offline joekeith

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A boy and his dog
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 06:02:00 PM »
OL's bow tuning is a great help.  You will be referring to it quite a bit.  What kinda arrows are ya plannin' on shootin?  Carbons are the toughest it seems to me.  GT 35/55s are good arrows and would take care of you with that bow.  Bareshaftin' will cause ya more problems than help.  Just remember, stick and string....Keep It Simple S.....It's all about fun, forget the technical cr*p, and enjoy.  :campfire:

Offline TradDad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 06:09:00 PM »
Since I'm looking at this from a complete beginner standpoint, I figured cost wise aluminum would be the place to start.  I could be wrong, but that's why I'm here.

After considering basic info like FF string and how the shelf is cut... Can I just go with the recommendation from the spine charts and still be okay to shoot until I get my new form/style down before I get into all this tuning stuff?
But his bow abode in strength, and the arms of his hands were made strong by the hands of the mighty God of Jacob;(from thence is the shepherd, the stone of Israel:) -Genesis 49:24

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 06:49:00 PM »
Yes.
You are good to go. Shoot all of your test stuff, practice with it, and the ones that fly well will be the ones to look at when it comes time for ordering more.

You need mostly to shoot, and shoot and shoot while you develop your form. Joekeith gave some good advice. I have been shooting for over 40 years and bareshafting makes me feel like a complete maladroit.
Killdeer   :archer:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline JAG

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 07:12:00 PM »
Amen to what Killie and Joekeith said.  Make it fun.  Don't get caught up in techkno. stuff.  Keep it simple, keep it fun!
JAG/Johnny
IBEP - Chairman Alabama
"May The Good Lord Keep Your Bow Arm Strong and Your Heart and Arrows True!"
TGMM Family of the Bow
PBS Regular Member
Compton Member

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 07:28:00 PM »
me personally you have to much to worry about. here is what i do. you are shootin a 45- 50 # bow go get you some beman classic 500, 51/2 " sheild cut fletching material. a role of fletching tape, your favorite color crest wraps. dont bother cutting the shafts. install the stock 75 grain h.i.t. inserts. it matters not how long the shafts stick past the back of the bow at full draw use 125 grain feild tips and broadheads of your choice.. this combination works well up to 52# @ 28" draw my scores at 3d have much improved. i dont feel the need to change, and can shoot this combo from a wide variety of longbows and recurves that are fastflight ready.no need to overthink it in my opinion. you will just drive yourself crazy. this combo will give you full penetration . i know for sure. it will penetrate the off side scapula, ive done it. i promise this k.i.s.s. will not fail you ask batman or john dill. i shoot with them from time to time. im always showing improvement with this combo. r.v.
" you have done well to keep your hair when so many are after it"

Offline Lowrider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2011, 07:32:00 PM »
My suggestion would be to get the series of Masters of the Bow and watch all of the different styles of shooting.  When I started out the only tape available to me was (one I want mention) but the guy shot so fast that I thought that was the way you shot a traditional bow. I never learned proper form and it really screwed me up. I am just now comming around after all of these years after watching other peoples forms and listening to people on this forum. Good Luck.

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2011, 07:50:00 PM »
I like carbon arrows for their durability too.  You may already have these items, if not I'd get them if possible:

- Bow stringer
- Sting keeper (for when your bow is unstrung)
- Sock type case if your new bow does not come with one.
- Spool of serving thread so you can tie on nock points.  I like BCY #3D.  Crimp on brass work too but you should have the tool.

If money is tight I'd skip the bow scale, you can't change the weight anyway...

Offline TradDad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2011, 07:59:00 PM »
Thanks guys and gal!  So I'm a little confused with the carbon suggestion a couple of you made.  Both mentioned an arrow spine of 500. Not doubting you, but looking at spine charts they all seem to recommend 400.  How does that work out then?

Forgot to add that's at 31'.  Is 32' an uncut arrow or is that just where the charts stop?

Offline Lowrider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2011, 08:34:00 PM »
Meant to say Masters of the Barebow. Has been a long day since 4:00 AM this morning. Anyway you can get the videos from 3 Rivers Archery. They are a sponsor here.

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2011, 08:46:00 PM »
500 spine is a small diameter arrow heavy spine + quiet bow massive penitration. i use magnus1 glue ons with 5 grain screw in adapters cuts a big whole ifn ya know what i mean

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2011, 08:52:00 PM »
oh by the way , the 51/2" sheild cut feather stabilizes the arrow fast enough to create smoother arrow flight . which in turn increases your accuracy depending on proper form.i still get 179 fps with this combo

Offline Tomas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2011, 09:10:00 PM »
For traditional archers those spine charts are way off, 500's would be good. If your closer to #40 I would and do use the 600's with great results.

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2011, 09:19:00 PM »
I'm with joekeith on this one. Keep it Simple, at least til you have a handle on things.

I'd get some of the GT 3555's and field points in several weights. Shoot'em and if they are too stiff, add weight up front. If they show weak go lighter up-front til they look to be flying well to the eye.

You've got plenty of time to fine tune before the season. Until you have decent form your arrows probably won't be flying well enough to really tune anyway. Shoot from close range for awhile, concentrating on form. Don't get caught-up in accuarcy or grouping until you are feeling comfortable with the 'Process' of shooting.

Big Jim has good prices on the GT blems, when they're in stock.

Have fun and keep us posted on your progress. Also, and this is very important, make sure you post pics of that Maddog when you get her!   :archer2:
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2011, 11:08:00 PM »
Way to go Josh! Stumpshoot for hunt practice. You'll need judos or other head that will NOT bury in grass. BH's of whatever choice you feel certain will do the job. Like your Maddog at 45#. Loaded 30" arrows w/150gr +/- may get you around 500grains total. That bow will push them pdq.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline TradDad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2011, 03:57:00 PM »
Y'all are great! Thanks for the support. I'm sure I'll be calling on you again.  Until then.... Shoot straight.

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2011, 04:35:00 PM »
Once you Graduate with your Aluminums, Ya ought to try Making your Own Arrows! P.O.Cedar are Awsome Shafts!!  :thumbsup:   Congrats for Kicking Off the Training Wheels!!  :archer:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline BOWMARKS

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2011, 04:59:00 PM »
I would see if you can hook up with some other traditional shooters in your area. Another set of eyes will help alot.    
Welcome aboard you will enjoy.  :archer:
Kanati Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Hoot's Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Shrew Classic Hunter 56"-47#@28"

TGMM Family Of The Bow
United Bowhunters of Penna.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2011, 11:24:00 PM »
Traddad, you'll be seeing those bows in a few days.
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Offline TradDad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2011, 12:35:00 AM »
Wooooooweeeee! My palms just got all clammy, my heart began to race and I'm giddy as a school girl.    :jumper:    :jumper:    :jumper:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©