3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bear Quest V -- Stories for all Posts  (Read 27203 times)

Offline Larry Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
Bear Quest V -- Stories for all Posts
« on: June 18, 2011, 08:15:00 PM »
Group 1 broke camp early this morning.  After the ride back from La Tuque with Jeff Springer (Tippit) and Barry Wensel, it is time to catch up on some rest.  

It was a very successful 1st week.  Once I get back home tomorrow night, I have a lot of pics to post.

Hold tight as there are a lot of adventures to be shared.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bel007

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bear Quest V -- Stories for all Posts
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 08:17:00 PM »
:campfire:
Brian - aka "Big Sexy"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters - Lifetime Member

Offline JSMOFFITT03

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 08:23:00 PM »

Should be a good one.... Can't wait .....

Offline bendbig

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 09:22:00 PM »
:campfire:    :coffee:
Glenn
TGMM Family of the Bow
PBS Associate

Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me, Gen 27:3

Offline Warberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 09:25:00 PM »
Cant wait,    :notworthy:

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 09:44:00 PM »
Been looking forward to this one!!
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2011, 10:41:00 PM »
Glad you made it back Larry,can't wait for pics.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline JAG

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2011, 10:48:00 PM »
:bigsmyl:    :campfire:
IBEP - Chairman Alabama
"May The Good Lord Keep Your Bow Arm Strong and Your Heart and Arrows True!"
TGMM Family of the Bow
PBS Regular Member
Compton Member

Offline WhiteOaks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2011, 12:01:00 AM »
Awesome week with a bunch of great guys.
Thanks for making this such a memorable event.
A world of opportunities awaits upwind but nothing waits downwind.

HH Wesley Special
Two Tracks Echo
Mohantongo Redtail
Mohawk Sparrow Hawk
Bear Alaskan
Bear Super 48
1958 Bear Kodiak

Offline Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2011, 09:51:00 AM »
Git ready... I know a lot of the guys aren't even home yet but I'll get the tales rolling.. be right back. UB

Offline Pierre Lucas

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2011, 10:00:00 AM »
Yea boy.  Let's hear em and have a safe trip home.

God Bless,  Pierre
>>>--TGMM Family of the Bow---->

"if you're not living on the edge, you're taking up to much space..." God Knows!
>>>----->  SBD...Bow Strings ..."not just another bow string"   www.sbdbowstrings.com

Offline Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2011, 10:52:00 AM »
Without making this a sales pitch, this hunt continues to be an outstanding example of what traditonal bowhunting is all about. Tom Phillips and his crew do an absolute outstanding job year after year. I know there are guys who have this hunt on their bucket list and seem to put off going for one reason or another, but you really should go for it as nothing is forever. I'm afraid there will be guys in the future who will look back and kick themselves for letting a golden opportunity slip through their fingers. It's not just the excellent hunting but the colorful "character" of the entire camp. This was my fifth year in a row and every hunt was unique and something I'll never forget. There's literally centuries of wisdom sitting around each and every campfire.
Every single hunter in camp had opportunities with close range encounters. Some, including myself, chose not to shoot for one reason or another. But that's what bowhunting is all about. I had at least one bear under me each and every day I hunted. My last day is a good example so I'll elaborate on Friday so as not to make this too long. Please remember we are very remote with no cell service so it's not like everyone can keep you folks updated daily. Friday I climbed into my stand about 11:30 AM. The first bear arrived at 1:00 and the next at 4 PM. It was sunny and cool and I got some great video footage. About 6 PM a front moved in and it started to rain shortly thereafter. I put a plastic bag over the camcorder and pulled my raincoat on. No problem until about 6:30 when the lightning started. It began cracking all around me. Sitting in a metal treestand in a lightning storm it's real smart so I left everything there and slid out for the safety of the truck until 7PM. At 7:10 here came a nice boar that I'd already passed up on Wednesday waiting for an even bigger one. He was recognizable since he had two puncture wounds on his snout from an obviously recent encounter. He circled and finally walked right in. When I rebait I normally put about a third of the bait in the barrel which was 13 yds. right in front of me. Then I place another third in a small pile on the ground about ten yards quartering off to my right and another third in a pile about ten yards off to my left. These "satellite" baits allow more than one bear to feed at the same time. With just the single bait barrel you often have one bear dominate the barrel whereas the smaller piles are far enough apart to allow multiple bears to feed at once. Additionally, if a single bear comes in he often will walk between the piles offering more shot angles, etc. Anyway, this nice boar walked right in and laid down at the satellite pile to my left. He knew I was in the tree and constantly kept his eyes on me but only offering the frontal angle. Twice as he maneuvered around I got about two inches from full draw when he shifted a little and I let down. If someone would have bet me he would lay there for fifty minutes and never offer me anything but a frontal angle I would have lost the bet. At one point a snowshoe hare came right under my stand and walked literally 6 or 7 feet from the bear. He stood on all fours and took a wide stance with his front legs. As the rabbit hopped just in front of him he swung his head to his left. It was really tempting to sink a three-blade just to the left of his sternal notch knowing I'd likely get either the carotid artery and/or jugular but I knew better. I knew I'd also not likely get an exit hole and it was still drizzling rain. Always practice what you preach. After fifty minutes, at about 8 PM he stood and swapped ends. When I draw the bow it takes probably two seconds to draw and settle in for the shot. In that two seconds he went from frontal to the butt angle and slowly walked straight away. Since I still had a solid hour of light remaining I figured he'd be back knowing there was still plenty of bait left. The bad news is his short departure gave two more bears the opportunity to slide in from my right. The one I wanted stayed back in the brush about fifty yards huffing and popping at each other. One of the newcomers was a very decent boar that I'd seen every day I hunted. I'd already passed him up a dozen times. The third bear had a great pelt but was a teenager. The bigger one laid right in front of me offering all kinds of shots. He had a bum back right leg. It looked like it had been caught in a snare years previous. He wouldn't bear weight (no pun intended) on the leg and you could see the right hindquarter was atrophied from lack of use. He adapted by sitting mostly on his opposite hip and therefore rubbed most of the hair from it. Sorry guys, I gotta go... be back shortly. BW

Offline Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2011, 11:22:00 AM »
Okay.. the limper sat there at under ten yards just begging me to shoot. I looked at the time. It was almost 9PM and getting dark. My stand is a one hour drive back to camp. It I shot him at 9PM I wouldn't get back to camp until 10PM. If a group of guys came back with me we'd likely not start tracking until well after 11PM. Then finding him, carrying him out, another hour back to camp, then we'd still need to take photos, skin him, butcher him, etc. I know the guys would have jumped all over that opportunity but the fact we had to leave camp early the next morning and everyone still had to pack, etc. I didn't want to do that to the guys. I lowered the bow with him right there at dark and walked away with two bears under 12 yards and a smile on my face.
It seems Tom Phillips has a harder time filling the slots the second week of the hunt. I think guys are thinking they're getting sloppy left overs after the first week. This is NOT the case. The guys in the second week usually see even more rutting activity as the bigger boars get more bold and are actively ranging for hot sows. Plus the fact guys in the second week know which baitsites are the most active and can adjust accordingly. I'm anxious to see whoever sits my stand (if they shoot one I recognize) to see how close my guess on actual weights will
be. No matter, I think there were only three of us who chose to come home without a bear. Don't feel sorry for us because we didn't get one. I think you'll find we all had the time of our lives and made many life-long memories. Thanks guys... it was an honor and pleasure to hunt with you all. Now for the rest of the stories. BW aka Uncle Barry

Offline meathead

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2011, 11:43:00 AM »
Sounds like another good week Barry.  Been looking foward to the stories.

Offline BowPlinker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2011, 11:48:00 AM »
Its was a good time meeting everyone there...
Still trying to recoperate from it all

Ken B
Acadian Woods 56" 3pc Tree Stick
Acadian Woods 56" 1pc Tree Stick
Pine Hollow Osage. 58" longbow
Owner of Calumet Trade Goods
   http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=162;t=000031

Offline Greyfox54

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2011, 12:44:00 PM »
Great story Barry , and you sum up perfectly what Bearquest is all about . I have been fortunate to have been on two of these hunts and to say they were memorable doesn't do them justice . Lord willing I will make another trip with Tom in the future . Best to the second week guys , Fred
Greyfox54

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2011, 01:32:00 PM »
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Warberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2011, 02:23:00 PM »
Thanks Uncle Barry, Hope papa bowdoc feed ya all well and cant wait for more of the Bear Quest 5 gangs events. Best wishes

Offline Larry Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2011, 02:28:00 PM »
Like Barry said in his earlier post, this is an event worth attendingg.  Tom Phillips puts on a "first class act" for the Bear Questors -- it is a wonderful experience with or without bringing home a bear.

My journey started on Thursday, the 9th of June when I flew from Pensacola to Boston and was picked up and hosted by Jeff "Tippit" Springer and his lovely wife, Molly.

Thank you Jeff and Molly for opening up your home to me.

After a wonderful Thursday evening dinner, sharing stories and catching up on past happenings, and getting a good night's rest, we were all set for our travels to La Tuque, Quebec, come Friday morning.  

After Barry Wensel arrived on Friday morning, we packed up the vehicle and were on our way.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Larry Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2011, 02:38:00 PM »
It was a long haul to La Tuque, but with Barry's stories, the time passed quickly.  Being from Florida, I can attest to the beauty of the beaches.  But it just doesn't compare to the beauty and scenary I was able to take in on the way up to and in Canada.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©