3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bear Quest V -- Stories for all Posts  (Read 27227 times)

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bear Quest V -- Stories for all Posts
« Reply #200 on: June 24, 2011, 11:13:00 PM »
That was sweet!!!!!!!  :thumbsup:
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #201 on: June 25, 2011, 12:25:00 AM »
Charlie,

Great show!  Brings back a lot of great memories of sitting v-e-r-y still waiting for a bear to shift position.

Where was the honey burn located in this scene?  It looked like the swirls of smoke were coming up from Larry's stand...

Congrats on your bear!
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #202 on: June 25, 2011, 09:23:00 AM »
Well the boys in the second week are packing up, registering their bears, and heading home today.  So before they start posting I wanted to add a couple more pictures and thanks to all from week one.

Ken Bueche besides being a great guy is an amazing craftsman in historic items from the early Eastern Frontier (he can give a more accurate description then I can).  Here is a picture of some of his work on the camp picnic table.  He is an associate sponsor on Trad Gang (http://www.calumettradegoods.com/)  

I asked Ken if he would make a sheath for one of my knives that seemed to fit that time period.  Thinking it would be nice to have a deer hide sheath that would look old.  Well I never imagined what I was really in for.  Ken thanks for the exquisite example of the French/Indian war era.    

I couldn't couldn't help myself as I also ended up with one on Ken's quivers and thanks to Larry a brain tanned deer hide haversack.  Now I've got to shave my head and add some feathers to go along with all my gear like Ken  :biglaugh:

Finally, Tilly wanted to say how much she enjoyed camp.  With her tracking, being chased by Gatekeeper, and handouts under the table...she was quite done in  :)  

The group of Week One awaits the stories from Week Two...Doc

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #203 on: June 25, 2011, 09:52:00 AM »
Awesome video!
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline Larry Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #204 on: June 25, 2011, 04:01:00 PM »
Charlie, I didn't realize the video was so long -- talk about 15 minutes of fame -- this was more like 45 minutes.  I was afraid to turn the camera off once I started taping.  There were times that I thought you were going to get the bear to turn and give you a shot, and then it would either sit and lay down again.  The bugs sure show up good in it.  The smoke that appears in some of the footage was from my Therma Cell.

Pierre, I guess I might have found my calling in life, but I'll need a lot more video taping practice.  Can't wait to hear about your Nephew and his son -- hope they scored!

We had a great camp with a great bunch of folks.  I enjoyed meeting and sharing camp with all of you.  Thanks!

Can't wait to hear the stories and see the pics from Week 2.

Here's a recapture of the bears taken from Week 1.

Bill Terry Sr. (Bowhuntersrct)

Kevin Symes (Fatman)

Don Ward (Therealbowdoc)

Kip Manuel (Kip)

Chris Kinslow

Charlie Miller (buckeye_hunter)

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Larry Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #205 on: June 25, 2011, 04:26:00 PM »
Left is Ben Saye (KSBowman) Right is Randy Page (WhiteOaks)

Jeff Springer (Tippit) and Tilly (beardog)

Mike OConnell (wapitimike)

Ken Bueche (bowplinker)

Larry Surtees

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #206 on: June 25, 2011, 05:14:00 PM »
Since I already burned my 5 dollars...

The video came out great Larry! Sure could see the bugs and I thought the Thermacell smoke looked kinda cool too. Lots of great photos!

All you guys are welcome in Ohio ANY time for our trad deer hunt. I'll be glad to take you to some of my favorite spots. I think you guys could be more successful than I have been in them. I need to capitalize on opportunities this year! Maybe I will have a bit more confidence now.....

Again, thanks to all and you have a standing invite to our Ohio Trad Deer Camp anytime.

:campfire:

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #207 on: June 25, 2011, 05:46:00 PM »
Larry,

Nice work with all those pictures and the video.  As Randy said earlier you definitely had the most RBI's for the week.

Larry was able to score on his own bear the first night. Then he proceded to scout Mile Marker 41 which resulted in Ben getting a bear the very next night.  Next Larry switched gears and helped Charlie put down his whistle and shoot a bear while he was filming.  That opened up that spot for me so that I could come in and shoot a bear at the same spot.  Finally Larry kept talking up the bucket brigade stand after he had baited it several days in a row.  Kip step up and sat that spot and killed the biggest bear for week # 1.

Larry you basically had a hand in 5 bears that were killed in 1 week.  
  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

CK
Life ain't a dress rehearsal.

Offline Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #208 on: June 25, 2011, 06:16:00 PM »
True about Larry. And everyone thinks if you tag out early you'll get bored sitting around. Good job guys. I'm anxious to see how the week two hunters did. I know we had a lot of rain in Maine but you never know up there. They should be home tonight. BW

Offline Larry Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #209 on: June 25, 2011, 06:28:00 PM »
Chris,

Man!  After your last post about hat's off, my hat got so tight after my head swole up 2 times the size that I had to take it off.  It was a distinct pleasure to share camp with you and all the rest of the Week 1 folks.  It's really strange that TGers who have never met before except through this site, can form such a strong bond once they come together.  

I now know that I have a very strong addiction for bear hunting.    Like Barry Wensel mentioned early on, this is not a sales pitch, but Bear Quest should be at the top of everyone's wish list.  

Lastly, I would like to offer a special thanks to Jeff (Tippit).  If it weren't for him this would have only been a "reading adventure" for me.  Thank you Jeff!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #210 on: June 25, 2011, 07:20:00 PM »
Larry,
I'm glad you enjoyed it.  There are a lot of reasons why this came together...but the end result is I have a brother I never had before.  This looks to be just the start of a road of adventure for a couple of old guys  :)   Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #211 on: June 25, 2011, 08:35:00 PM »
Just talked with Bowdoc.  Boys are back in the states.  Seven bears taken plus the largest out of both weeks!  They got a late start cause two bears were down Friday night and had to be skinned out today.  From here out it's their dime to tell about the Adventures in the North Bear Woods...Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline bill langer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #212 on: June 25, 2011, 08:52:00 PM »
Larry you can film for me anytime, a fantastic job on Charlies first big game kill all caught on tape!! Great job!!! I would be honored to share a camp with the old timers ( you and Doc) and the rest of BQ 5 week1 anytime!!!!! Thank you all for a great hunt!!!!!!!!!
PS I have the inside info on who won the knife...
Thanks guys Bill

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #213 on: June 25, 2011, 08:57:00 PM »
Just rolled in from an 18 hour drive from week two. What a great week it was. Here's a teaser of my favorite for the week. More to follow, I'm sure, about this special bear taken with a very special bow    :thumbsup:    

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline fatman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #214 on: June 25, 2011, 08:58:00 PM »
Originally posted by bill langer:
LpS I have the inside info on who won the knife...
Thanks guys Bill
Deli?
"Better to have that thing and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
Woodrow F. Call

Commitment is like bacon & eggs; the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed....

Offline bill langer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #215 on: June 25, 2011, 09:14:00 PM »
Ha Ha Ha, that's a good one Kevin, it would be ironic...keep guessing...

Offline fatman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #216 on: June 25, 2011, 09:16:00 PM »
just don't say Roller Coaster;  I'd have to commit hari kari.....  :banghead:
"Better to have that thing and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
Woodrow F. Call

Commitment is like bacon & eggs; the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed....

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #217 on: June 25, 2011, 09:22:00 PM »
:campfire:

Offline bill langer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #218 on: June 25, 2011, 09:35:00 PM »
That's even funnier, laughing out load  :biglaugh:

Offline Larry Surtees