3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bear Quest V -- Stories for all Posts  (Read 27225 times)

Offline Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bear Quest V -- Stories for all Posts
« Reply #480 on: July 01, 2011, 08:51:00 AM »
BD: I can't tell from the pictures but he/she looked like it had a single fang bite-mark on each side of the muzzle about halfway between the eyes and the nose. He/she came in several times. What did it end up weighing just for curiosity sake? Good job whoever. UB

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #481 on: July 01, 2011, 08:59:00 AM »
when I took this one I was thinking to myself kind of funny BQ is really just a big none stop feast.We feed the bear then we feed ourself then we go out on stand and feed 10,000 hungry bugs weird huh bd  

Offline PA stickbow boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #482 on: July 01, 2011, 09:01:00 AM »
I need to quit looking at and reading this thread...... It's making me envious!    :biglaugh:  

Good stuff guys
Keep the sun at your back and the wind in your face.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #483 on: July 01, 2011, 09:02:00 AM »
we had a couple in the 115-135# range and I was thinking it was in there somewhere Unc bd

Offline WhiteOaks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #484 on: July 01, 2011, 09:25:00 AM »
Congrats to all on the second week and thanks for sharing the great stories of the hunts.
A world of opportunities awaits upwind but nothing waits downwind.

HH Wesley Special
Two Tracks Echo
Mohantongo Redtail
Mohawk Sparrow Hawk
Bear Alaskan
Bear Super 48
1958 Bear Kodiak

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #485 on: July 01, 2011, 03:14:00 PM »

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #486 on: July 01, 2011, 03:14:00 PM »

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #487 on: July 01, 2011, 03:15:00 PM »

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #488 on: July 01, 2011, 03:16:00 PM »

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #489 on: July 01, 2011, 03:36:00 PM »
BD is that my glove in the pic been wondering who had it.

doug77

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #490 on: July 01, 2011, 03:38:00 PM »
Gotta love the vintage gear. Well done BD!

Great job to all week 2 BQ hunters as well. Excellent stories gentlemen.  :thumbsup:

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #491 on: July 01, 2011, 03:39:00 PM »
I tried something a little different this year.I went with a lighter weight set of limbs then I normaly use and a fiberglass arrow.I wanted to try the no pass thru.I wanted the arrow to stay in the bear and see if the fiberglass shaft and sharp broadhead would do more damage as the bear ran off into the brush.Yes it worked rather well bd

Offline Caddo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #492 on: July 01, 2011, 05:26:00 PM »
Another Great Bear Quest, thanks to Tom, Bowdoc and the rest of the guys in week #2. They just keep getting better and better.
 I drew the "Moose Path" for the first night hunt on Sat. Tired, like everyone else but like BD says "you can't kill bears sittin' on your goat smellin' butt in camp!" so out I went. Had one visitor for the evening, a little on the small side and looked more like a bear suited for Bowdoc. So he got a free pass.

Decided to stay there for the second night. It was pretty much a repeat of the first night. Same bear, same time. Went to pick-up Eli and Chad at the Bird and knew something was up as soon as I pulled up. All I could see were two headlights and teeth! Eli was aweful proud. There was a real good blood trail and both Eli and Chad had said that they'd heard the death moan, so what are we waiting for, let's go get him. As we followed the blood trail through the mess of tangels and alders, and as it was getting darker, about 59 yards into the trail Chad says "did you hear that?". Not far off, in the dark were the distinct sounds of bear teeth popping. Seemed like a good time to retreat and come back in the morning. Next morning when we went back to get Eli's bear, little did we know that if Chad had taken another step or two that night, we would have been standing on top of Eli's bear. Do you realize how hard it is to see a black bear, on the ground, at night, 4 feet from you? Obviously it taxed our abilities.
  Monday night I thought I'd roll the dice a little and moved over to the Old Camp. Other than squirrels and bunnies, there was no action at all.
  Tuesday I decided to try to emulate my hero, Bowdoc, and went to the Bowl. Guess I've got a long way to go to hang with the master, no action what-so-ever.
  Wednesday I took some advise from from my good buddy, Jay. He said " Dude, the Long Trail is the place for you" So Tom fixed me up a double Honey Burn and off I went. Cooked off the Honey burn and got ready. I just knew that those bears would be flocking in at any minute saying "take me, take me".
  An hour later, heard a stick break off to the left. Then I could hear something moving through the brush, up the hill to my left and across the hill top in front of me. It stopped for a little while, then moved down the hill to my right. I checked my watch, 7:00 pm. I keep looking to the right, down the trail I came in on, and off behind me. Knowing that they like to sneak up from behind on this stand. Out of the corner ofmy left eye I caught movement. was it a squirrel or bird? Standing right in front of me, halfway up the hill is a bear! As I start to check it out I'm thinking nice bear, good coat, big head, not a bad size, I believe this one's a shooter! For 30 min we played this little game of non-commital. The bear would come down the trail, almost to the little pile of goodies I had off to the side of the barrel, then change it's mind and back off. Finally it came in, as it got to within two feet of the goodies, it was directly behind two trees. It came in, got a mouthful of goodies, turned and went back behind the trees to eat them. Dang, No shot. The second time it came back down in, it did the exact same thing. Hmmmm, do that again! The third time it came in, got a bite and turned, I was ready and dropped the string. Lesson learned, when you are seven feet up a tree and the bear is only six feet in front of you, the angle is a lot steeper than you think. Fortunately what I thought was a great hit, turned out to be not like I planned, but hit the bear just behind the shoulders, right in the spine. it dropped where it stood! I got away with it, and the result was a pretty short tracking job.

Went back to camp and got Big Bill, Eli and Jay to help me carry her out. Turned out to be a 130# sow. After we got her loaded, we decided to wait and pick up Chad on the way out. When we got over to the Bird, there he was, with a smile almost as big as Eli's. Chad got his bear too.

I believe this hunt will stay on my books for as long as I'm able to go. This is without a doubt, the most fun a fella can have with his clothes on!

Thanks again, especially Tom, But all the guys who went on this trip. Ya'll can share a fire with me anytime!

LD
"If your gonna kick a tiger in the butt, you better have a plan for dealing with his teeth!

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #493 on: July 01, 2011, 05:54:00 PM »
Nice bear Larry! and good story.

BD you make me miss BQ something terrible. I could almost taste those flashback brownies. Life is too short to miss many of these adventures. Savin' my pennies for next year.

Offline Missouri Sherpa

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #494 on: July 01, 2011, 05:59:00 PM »
Larry,

That looks like a lot of fun.  Not nearly as hot as Kempner either.  Congrats on your bear.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #495 on: July 01, 2011, 06:50:00 PM »
great story and great bear Larry its always a pleasure to hunt with you buddy.I'am already looking forward to next year bd

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #496 on: July 01, 2011, 07:08:00 PM »
Another great adventure and meet some super good guys.  No bear and no shot but I did see a few bears. I hunted Cardiac mostly and had a real nice bear try to sneak in for a bite of donut three different nights but wouldn't commit suicide, always hanging up 35 or 40 yards out in the bush. Still got my heart pumping. A smart bear and I tip my hat to him.  Bow Doc and Tom are top shelf guys by the way and if you're one of the guys that always say"someday", you have to do this hunt before someday never comes.

I did find a present Barry tried to give a bear a few years back at The Resurrection stand. Kinda has a pointed end and feather on the other. Skinny little thing that looks like what my kid would shoot. No wonder it bounced off that bear. Might bring it with me to Denton Hill in case B wants it back.

Thanks Tom,

CJ
lll

Offline Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #497 on: July 01, 2011, 08:34:00 PM »
CJ: What were you doing walking around tainting my area? UB

Offline Warberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #498 on: July 01, 2011, 08:52:00 PM »
Super Bears guys, thanks much for taking us along on BQ5.  
   :thumbsup:

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #499 on: July 01, 2011, 10:32:00 PM »
Great pics BD! I really lkie the way that Bear Razorhead held on to that insert!
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©