3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bear Quest V -- Stories for all Posts  (Read 27217 times)

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bear Quest V -- Stories for all Posts
« Reply #540 on: July 05, 2011, 10:35:00 PM »
If you're not familiar with Canada, 75% of it's population is along the 401/402/40 corridor along the northern edge of the Great Lakes and the St Lawrence Seaway. Driving is a chore for sure, and for every kilometer I drove I fell further behind in my schedule to make it to La Tuque on time. I finally made my way to Motel 9 for the breakfast meeting spot at 7:30am. Alas I dined alone for there were to be no Bear Questers found. An omelette with some Canadian tater tots and a side of beans, who ever heard of beans for breakfast, hit the spot and I was off to Lucien Gauvin.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #541 on: July 05, 2011, 10:41:00 PM »
now were lossening up guys let er buck.You all know I would never forget you no matter what bd

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #542 on: July 05, 2011, 11:02:00 PM »
I left Motel 9 and made a quick pitstop at Canadian Tire. For those of you not familiar with Canadian Tire it's Canada's version of a sport shop/building supply/auto supply/hardware store and more all rolled into one. I needed to buy another cooler because I was certain the single cooler I brought just wasn't big enough to bring the luxurious pelt and bear meat I was soon to harvest back to Michigan. After banter with the cashier, who spoke only french and me not understanding a word and shrugging my shoulders in the international "I don't undertand sign" I paid for my new jumbo cooler. I could tell as she said something to the patrons in line behind me about "american" which was recieved with much laughter, I knew I was the focus of a joke I didn't understand but they were more than happy to take my money. Off to meet the out going week one guys and my new pals for week two.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #543 on: July 05, 2011, 11:52:00 PM »
I pulled up to Lucien Gauvin and I could tell I wasn't too late. The road in front of the shop and the shop parking lot was filled with trucks with license plates from across the US. In the parking lot were a group of camo clad gents that I could easily identify as weary bear hunters from week one. As the introductions were completed the questions started to fly. How did you do? Did you see alot of bear? Did Tippit kill Mr Big again this year? How are the bugs? The how are the bugs brought the greatest responce. Shirts came up, sleeves were rolled up and necks exposed to reveal the nastiest assortment of bites, welt and scars one could ever imagine. Yes the bugs were a record crop this year for sure.

:eek:  

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #544 on: July 06, 2011, 09:25:00 AM »
great read and pics bd

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #545 on: July 06, 2011, 09:47:00 AM »
I've been fishing in Ontario many times and still never came across anything like the flies that chewed on me the first couple nights.

Offline Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #546 on: July 06, 2011, 10:52:00 AM »
The bug issue everyone had really intrigues me. The first afternoon on stand I noticed they were bad for a couple minutes until I got the Thermacell fired up. A couple minutes later they were ALL gone. I noticed they followed me out to the truck after dark but other than that they were a non issue for me. I used Ben's 100 (DEET) around camp/ besides the Thermacell on stand. But then again I don't really consider bugs an issue unless I'm inhaling them and they make you cough/puke. UB

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #547 on: July 06, 2011, 10:53:00 AM »
This is some of what makes Bear Quest Bear Quest.You gotta love it you just gotta.I'am already signed up for 2 weeks next year...bugs and all Charlie.I still have huge weeping wounds on my leg from those stinken black fly going up my pant legs it was great.........yeahaw bd

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #548 on: July 06, 2011, 11:12:00 AM »
The bite I got the day before we left is still visible on my left forearm as I am typing this. The swelling from whatever bit me on that Thursday didn't go down until 3 days after I got home from the trip. I don't know what bit me, but the entire underside of my forearm was swelled up. I can tell you one thing... I would make the drive up there for Bearquest 6 in a heartbeat. No thought required. I would come up to help out even if I wasn't hunting.

Maybe I should have had a little more of the beverages while up there. It might have kept the skeeters and flies off me. I would/will be there again sometime bugs or not.

Maybe my thermacell needs replaced?

Offline fatman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #549 on: July 06, 2011, 12:42:00 PM »
"Better to have that thing and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
Woodrow F. Call

Commitment is like bacon & eggs; the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed....

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #550 on: July 06, 2011, 12:55:00 PM »
That, right there, is funny!    :biglaugh:

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #551 on: July 07, 2011, 11:03:00 AM »
where is Chad's bear pic with he and his A riser in the pic ? I need one bad bd

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #552 on: July 07, 2011, 01:40:00 PM »
Wow that was quick ... I got my mount back already from fast Eddie the taxi man.I think it looks just beautifuly done don't you ? I love that thing bd    

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #553 on: July 07, 2011, 01:45:00 PM »
OK, BD I'm going to have to play the BS card.Is that last years bear? The hide off this years has to still be wet from thawing out. LOL
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #554 on: July 07, 2011, 01:51:00 PM »
kind of has my hair do does'nt he Ben ????? bd

Offline kuch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #555 on: July 07, 2011, 03:14:00 PM »
BD sent you pics via e-mail with the type 1 a

Offline Mike/Columbia Basin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #556 on: July 07, 2011, 07:37:00 PM »
BD you don't have that much hair, at least that is exposed.

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #557 on: July 07, 2011, 11:49:00 PM »
I'll throw out some more pictures out for Bowdoc from the first week.

I was able to spend some scouting time out at the Blowdown stand (one of the water baits) after I had kill my bear. A big bear had been seen at Blowdown but wouldn't commit to the bait.  He had kept Kip on his toes for several nights before Kip decided to go on to another big bear  :) .  I sat the stand on the sixth night out after killing my bear on the fifth day.  I still couldn't get enough of watching bears.  

Blowdown didn't disappoint as the large bear circled the bait on the ridge above the crib for over an hour.  Several time he snuck in without me seeing him only to blow out of there woofing and popping his teeth.  It was as cool as any evening I sat on stand including the night I killed my bear.  

I felt I had a good idea about a spot the bear kept returning to as his vantage point.  Upon getting back to camp I told Tom Porter about the situation.  As a three year vet to BQ I knew Tom was holding out for a good bear.  Or at the very least a unique bear that would have a lot of meaning. Porter is one of the few guys I know that can go home empty handed from a big hunt with no regrets.  Having been in that situation more times than not myself I realize that is easier said than done. Tom puts in as many hours and hunts as hard as anyone I know, but manages to avoid becoming obsessive compulsive. Most guys that love to hunt have been there and know what I'm talking about.

Porter decided to jump ship from his other stand for a last ditch tag team effort at the Blowdown.  I would sit in the stand at the bait in hopes of causing the bear to focus on me and get him to go through the same routine that he had in three previous evenings.  The plan was for Porter to be sitting 45 yards up the hill in an ambush stand.
Hopes were high as we went to bait the stand that morning.  Figuring out an animal and trying to out maneuver them is a something we both enjoy.  

Unfortunately, the best of plans didn't come to fruition.  A frog strangling rain came in complete with enough trees falling to make the Blowdown live up to its name.  It put a serious damper on the evening.  At one point I put my hands inside my rain jackets pockets only to find them completely full of water.  The Gore-Tex inside the jacket actually caused the water to pool in the pockets.  After two hours of steady rain we got back into the stands. I started getting cold shortly and put my thermocell inside my jacket so the butane burner could keep me warm. If you look close you can see Porter in his stand.  This was taken BEFORE the rain started.  

I was rooting for Tom to kill that bear about as much as I had during my hunts.  Actually I was rooting for Tom to kill the bear so I could be happy for him AND so I could get back to camp and warm up in some dry cloths   :campfire:

Porter,  I wish it would have worked out for you.  It would have been a blast!
Life ain't a dress rehearsal.

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #558 on: July 08, 2011, 05:52:00 AM »
Great story Chris.It brought back some great memories of only a few weeks ago ( I can still hear in my mind the loud noise of that bear).I was hoping it would work out for Tom and yourself after the work that was put in.I feel it would have worked if not for the rain.You have a talent with the keyboard and pics  keep the memories coming.Kip

Offline WhiteOaks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #559 on: July 08, 2011, 06:12:00 AM »
We were all hoping Tom would get the bear that tormented KIP all week. He'll be there next year.
A world of opportunities awaits upwind but nothing waits downwind.

HH Wesley Special
Two Tracks Echo
Mohantongo Redtail
Mohawk Sparrow Hawk
Bear Alaskan
Bear Super 48
1958 Bear Kodiak

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©