3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Point Weight not adding Up with Cac  (Read 232 times)

Offline MJB

• Trad Bowhunter
Point Weight not adding Up with Cac
« on: June 19, 2011, 09:40:00 PM »
These pics are from the other day, and today. For my set up #57 TIP non FF calculator says 2117 (yellow nocks) 30" 190 grn point . For the 2020 , 29 1/2 190 point.

These shafts are all 29.5 with 125 grn point weight. Distance to target was appro 18 yrds. Turkey target fell over (dirt in nocks).  I'm confused any thoughts suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Mike

A Gobbler yelp Spring or Fall is a long conversation.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Point Weight not adding Up with Cac
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 11:08:00 PM »
I suspect you have one or more numbers in some of the boxes in Stu's calculator wrong.

As an example, I helped a person who was shooting a 2114 Camo Hunter aluminum arrow. The weight he was using for the nock end weight was 10 grains.

Camo Hunter arrows come with Easton Super Nocks which weigh 13 grains and they also come with a Super Uni bushing which weighs 7 grains for a 2114 Camo Hunter so the correct nock end arrow weight is 20 grains.

Combine this with other incorrect data in other boxes and the calculator will be way off.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline MJB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 05:17:00 PM »
Night Wing,
Thank you my friend. Side plate thickness and - 3 /16 not 3/16 make a huge difference
    :thumbsup:
A Gobbler yelp Spring or Fall is a long conversation.

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 05:29:00 PM »
I would say you are a tad stiff yet and could use a little more point weight .
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 10:55:00 PM »
MJB,

The center cut/strike plate position box really throws lots of people for a loop. You're not the first it's done it to with incorrect data and you won't be the last.

From your photos, if the broadhead tipped fletched arrows hit in the same place as your field tipped fletched arrows, leave well enough alone.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Eugene Slagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 05:52:00 AM »
One thing I see is that his Bare shafts are not capped or wrapped like his fletched arrows, even though that is 7-15 grains difference it can make a difference.
Zona Custom Recurve: 60" 49# @ 27.5".
Sky Sky Hawk Recurve: 60" 47# @ 27.5".
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore, please take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 12:44:00 PM »
MJB,

Let us know how you come out.

Would be intersesting to see how your final set-up bareshafts at 25 yards.

Best of luck!
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline hkmp5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 12:56:00 PM »
I agree with drewsbow, it appears to be a little stiff.  Try going up one point weight.
-Stu

Offline Swamp Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 01:05:00 PM »
If that bow is actually cut to -3/16", don't forget to ADD the thickness of that rug plate to it!
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
- William Arthur Ward
Black Widow PSAV 42#@29
Collection of Red Wing Hunters
Northern Mist Superior 43#@28
Blue Ridge Snowy Mt 51#@30"

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 02:01:00 PM »
How's about you ignore the damn calulator altogether.....
Folks've been tuning bows & arrows for millennia without the use of a computer. You can see how your arrows are flying now, just adjust to suit.
If it don't agree with the calculator, so what?
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 02:37:00 PM »
Mike, I think all spine charts and calculators should just be considered starting points for those who don't have a clue. There's so much individual variation in how we shoot the bows that there's no way to cover everybody in a generality. If I can get a bare-shafted arrow to shoot where I'm looking at 18 yards, I'm happy as a dead pig in the sunshine. Go with what works! Them turkeys won't stand a chance.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2011, 02:43:00 PM »
I have to Agree with RobTattoo!
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline TomBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2011, 02:52:00 PM »
Calculators can be helpful for general info but I agree that you can't take them for gospel.  Considering all the variables, which no calculator can, is important.  What about your particular shooting style (release, hand position, where your pressure on the grip sits, differences in tension or lack of tension shot to shot)?  I'd stick with the info above.  Use the calculator to get general, let the arrow flight tell you what point weight to use or what other tweaks you should try to get excellent arrow flight.  Just my cent and a halfs worth.
TomBow
Best of Luck!

Toelke Whip "MTB" 62", 53#@28
'65 K-Mag 52", 58@28
'53 Bear Cub longbow, 64" 60#@28

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2011, 06:25:00 PM »
Sorry but Stus calculator may get ya close and it may not. I know what perfect flight is and when I have tried it ecsp. with carbons sorry not real close. If you can find an old chart from Arrows by Kelly follow that for aluminum and wood he will get ya balls close. I think with 190 up front and a 30" bop arrow you would need maybe a 2219 but I am not great with aluminum, carbon I could get ya there. Shawn
Shawn

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2011, 07:20:00 PM »
To add to what has been said I would offer that you can't calculate form and release.  If I read it right looks like you are shooting a stiffer arrow than it calls for in the calculator.  Plucking will make a stiff bare shaft shoot like it is tuned or weak.  Cut past center bows have a greater tolerance for spine. An over stiff arrow can push off the riser and look tuned if you are a consistent shooter with a good release.  With carbons I am always having to set-up with a weaker arrow than shown in the calculator.  I don’t know about aluminum, but I have never used a stiffer arrow than required in the calculator and not had an over stiff arrow showing false weak or false tuned.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©