3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Foc Question  (Read 115 times)

Offline Tatorbones

• Trad Bowhunter
Foc Question
« on: June 19, 2011, 11:50:00 PM »
I have done the math and I'm sitting with about a 17-18% FOC.

Is this a good number to be at?

I'm still learning and trying to get the most out of what I have so anything that you can tell me would be a big help. I'm looking to hunt, but I am using my arrows for 3d tournaments because I feel that you should shoot the same arrow all the time so you know how it shoots. Along with just one bow. So What are your thoughts on my 17-18% FOC.

BTW My arrows are 538 grains.    :archer2:
If it is easy where is the fun. That is why I use a stick and string. The only sight I need is with my eyes.

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Foc Question
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 11:53:00 PM »
you're good to go

Offline Jake Diebolt

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Foc Question
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 07:59:00 AM »
According to some of Dr Ashby's research (there's an archive of it on this site) apparently 19% is the critical threshold for FOC where it starts to dramatically increase penetration. So, maybe get an exact calculation, and try and bump it up that 1 or 2 %? It might be difficult, and I wouldn't do it if it affects your arrow flight too much, but it might be worth it on larger animals.

EDIT: Sorry, just looked at the chart, and 17-18% isn't too much different than 19% on his preliminary data at least, so it may not be worth the tuning. You're probably good to go, but the reports are recommended reading to say the least. I'm really enjoying them!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©