3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tuning my arrow TO my bow  (Read 210 times)

Offline plentycoupe

• Trad Bowhunter
Tuning my arrow TO my bow
« on: June 20, 2011, 04:04:00 AM »
Hey all,
Ok so here's the deal. I want to tune the arrows that I have to the bow that I have and need some suggestions.
If I was in the states now I could look around for different arrows to try but will have to settle with what I got on hand.

The arrows are full length CE heritage 350. 3 fletch 5" shield left wing.
I would like to cut to 30" at least, 29 would be better.

The bow: Hornes hunter combo with longbow limbs
54lbs at 28". I draw 28"
64" bow
DF97 8 strand string
I shoot 3 under.

What I am looking for is advice on tip weight to attempt to get the spine right.
Or any other techniques you may have up your sleeves.

I can get field points and brass inserts to change point weight.
Overall arrow weight isn't to much of a concern for me as I assume it will be over 600grns

Lastly, can you suggest a archery shop that I can purchase 3 bare shafts of the above arrow from. I don't want to remove any feathers as I don't have a jig with me to replace.

Thanks all for the help.
Jason

Offline Eugene Slagle

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tuning my arrow TO my bow
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 05:59:00 AM »
Stu Millers Spine Calculator gives me this for what you have.

54# @ 28" Generic Longbow with 8 strand Fast Flight 1/16" center.

30" CE Herritage 350
250gr. point.
automatically gave me a 20gr. insert "guess that's standard."
standard nock.
3X5" feathers.
650gr. arrow w/ 19.3 FOC.

That would get you close.
Zona Custom Recurve: 60" 49# @ 27.5".
Sky Sky Hawk Recurve: 60" 47# @ 27.5".
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore, please take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 06:34:00 AM »
I'm not sure how long the 350s are uncut but you may want to leave them full length for less up front weight unless you can get the weight kits for the inserts or heavy inserts.

Also, if your bow is a takedown are the bow and limbs reflex/deflex design? That would make a difference as well as how close to center you are with shelf padding.

Eugene has you on target but to know for sure we need a bit more info to assist.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline plentycoupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 02:19:00 PM »
Thanks. I will look up Stu Millers calculator.

Yes the bow is a takedown and it is a reflex/deflex design.

I can't see on their website about the center cut of the riser window. I would think it is 1/16"

The arrows are 32 3/4 uncut, but I would like to shoot a 250 grain field point.

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 07:50:00 AM »
You can buy weight system to add the weight. Small weights can be threaded into the rear of the insert. This can be done by using a long (36") allen wrench. Remove nock, drop in a weight, from 20 gr to 50 gr, and use the wrench to thread it into rear of insert. Weights are designed so one can be threaded into the rear of another weight. Limitless combinations. 3 risers sells this system as does Gold Tip.
John

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 04:10:00 PM »
Those 350's are very stiff for your longbow. You will need to leave them long and put lots of weight upfront.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline plentycoupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 12:02:00 AM »
I can add weight to the front. I don't have the inserts glued in yet and was going to get some brass inserts should I need them.

If not using the 350's what other arrows would anyone suggest going with. Maybe to keep the arrow weight down around 550grns??

Thanks all

Offline TDHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 01:34:00 AM »
I shoot 30" heritage 350's out of my 55lb hunter recurve (draw to 29")

I use 100gr. brass inserts and 125gr. tips.

with a long bow 54lb drawing to 28" you will need a lot more weight up front. Mine are 630gr.

Offline metsastaja

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011, 08:21:00 AM »
Here is what I came up with on Stu's DSC. BOP is showing 30.5. Arrow cut to 30 the additional .5 is for nock distance. hope this helps. I used 1/8 for center cut figuring a very thin strike plate.

you can download the calculator at  www.heilakka.com/stumiller  you will need microsoft excel or open office spreadsheet to run it.
Les Heilakka
TGMM Family of the Bow  
Some times the uneventful nights are just as good if not better than the eventful ones

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2011, 10:11:00 AM »
I shoot the same bow at #57 and my 250's at 31" required 175 gr. heads with a 5o gr brass insert.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2011, 10:17:00 AM »
Agree with Snag. Super, Super stiff for your bow's poundage. With that arrow you will need more weight up front than the 600 grains you think your arrow will weigh. I don't think you can get there from here with that shaft, but what do I know. I think you would be much better off with a CE 150. It is a .487 spine weighing 10 grains/in.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2011, 02:11:00 PM »
I agree those are WAAAAYYYY stiff for your bow.  I shoot the 250's with 150 up front out of a 57lb MOAB.  That's a high performing bow and I have always had to shoot stiff spines.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline plentycoupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2011, 11:47:00 AM »
thanks for all the input. Issue for me now is those are the arrows I have. Deployed again.

Unless someone wants to trade???

I do have the ability to put 350 up front and I realize that will put me over 700grns. I will not cut the shafts and shoot em as it until I can get some other ones.

Thanks again.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©