3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New TBM Cover: "My Tip of the Fedora to Fred Bear"  (Read 776 times)

Offline RkyMtn Joe

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New TBM Cover: "My Tip of the Fedora to Fred Bear"
« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2011, 03:08:00 PM »
Hey Gary---

Nice photo and I like it a lot.  Out of curiosity, what is the bow you are holding there?  How about a few particulars on the gear you are using?  It all looks really good.

Joe

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2011, 05:16:00 PM »
I guess I can tell you something about the equipment details since you asked Joe:^).  The bow is a Morrison ILF, not exactly the same type bow Fred would have been using but as we all know, he was all about new ways of doing things.  The side quiver was made for my hunt by leathersmith Art Vincent, who also built the bullhide leather backback you see.  I was shooting early prototype VPA Terminators.  Hey, I just realized that all of my equipment was made by Trad Gang sponsors.  For that matter TBM is also a TG sponsor.  Good deal, HA!
Gary Logsdon

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2011, 05:27:00 PM »
"There ought to be a law against having magazine titles printing in any color except red."  

Yes, it's as RED as the bloodtrail I wish I had made on that trip Gene!  I had several close encounters with bulls on that hunt, including the afternoon when a huge herd bull chased a big cow through the timber so frantically that she tripped and fell to the ground. I also spent 40 minutes waiting out a nice 6X6 that was playing in a huge wallow 40 yards away.  I was perfectly hidden in some spruce the entire time but 40 yards is outside of my comfort range. I could smell him the whole time. What an adventure!
Gary Logsdon

Offline mmisciag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2011, 05:31:00 PM »
Just recieved mine today! Great picture.

Congratulations on a great picture.

Martin

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2011, 05:55:00 PM »
It's a good one, Gary!  Now I'm chomping at the bit to get my copy....
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline Butch L

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: June 21, 2011, 07:21:00 PM »
Nice, very nice, super picture. Even though I'm from the east coast it embodies what I feel/see of a Traditional hunt, weather here or where the picture was taken. I haven't had the chance to do a hunt out west, but boy does that bring dreams to my mind. Thank you for sharing, and now I can't wait for my copy.  

BUtch L
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: June 21, 2011, 07:31:00 PM »
What a great picture!  It gives me goose bumps just to think of the bull that is bedded in the aspens right in front of you - I can almost smell him from here!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: June 21, 2011, 07:52:00 PM »
I actually heard a lonesome bugle from that stand of aspen within seconds of taking that shot Joe!!  There was a horrible all night electrical storm two nights before that drove the elk down the drainages into the lower timber.  I was on my way down from camp when the photo was taken.
Gary Logsdon

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2011, 01:07:00 PM »
"Nice shot Gary. I have taken many pics alone in the wilderness and I'm glad you took the time to capture some of your Colorado experience. Mike"

Considering the ease of use, carry, and photo capacity of today's compact digital cameras, there's really very little excuse for not spending the time necessary to bring home a few memories is there Mike?  Hopefully covers like this will provide a little inspiration.
Gary Logsdon

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2011, 02:53:00 PM »
Looked for your mag yesterday at the local Borders....not on stand yet:(
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: June 22, 2011, 03:10:00 PM »
It will be a while before it hits the stands.  I hear that subscribers have started to receive theirs though.
Gary Logsdon

Offline Rooselk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: June 22, 2011, 07:08:00 PM »
Originally posted by Wannabe1:
Got my issue today and thought, "What a great pic!" Thanks Gary for bringing the moments home to us!    :thumbsup:      :clapper:  
Had the exact same thought. In fact first thing I did was show it to me wife, who also liked it. Great cover.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters • Traditional Bowhunters of Montana • Montana Bowhunters Association

Offline Bow man

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: June 23, 2011, 06:11:00 AM »
Great picture!!!!!
Compton Life Member
PBS QRM

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: June 23, 2011, 08:17:00 PM »
It's always a plus when the wife likes something Rich!
Gary Logsdon

Offline smoke1953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: June 23, 2011, 09:10:00 PM »
That's definitely worth framing. You capture the dream and the colors are fantastic! Good job by everyone involved.

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: June 24, 2011, 05:57:00 AM »
Your photos show that you were a good teacher.
You know what you are doing.

It`s easier to learn when the teacher ain`t faking it...and students know if the teacher is faking it.  :D  

Looking forward to more!   :campfire:

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: June 24, 2011, 09:16:00 AM »
Thanks Donald.  I never expected to hear a comment like that here since we were talking about the theme of the cover, but you made an interesting observation. In teaching it can help your credablilty with a lot of students when you can "practice what you preach". Over 30 years I heard that from students and their parents.  It definitely helped my classroom management; once students confirmed that I was a professionally trained and practicing artist they seemed to pay more attention to me.  That helped avoid  discipline problems which sometimes occur when young people become dismissive or just plain bored.  Don't get me wrong, as there are, for example, science teachers who run dynamic classes who aren't scientists, and knowledgeable social studies teachers who know their material and present it in an engaging fashion, etc.  I'm just saying that being a teacher AND an artist really helped me personally with students and the school community at large.
Gary Logsdon

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: June 24, 2011, 02:21:00 PM »
A few people have asked me about the original image that TBM used on the cover.  Of course magazine covers aren't the same proportion as original images making cropping necessary.  Here's what the original looks like.

(Note: Hit the F5 key to refresh the page if the photo fails to download.)

Gary Logsdon

Offline BowMIke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: June 24, 2011, 02:23:00 PM »
Congratulations on a great photo and making the cover as well!

Offline smoke1953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: June 24, 2011, 04:14:00 PM »
Wow!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©