3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Extra Limbs for Takedown  (Read 334 times)

Offline bfrbmj

• Trad Bowhunter
Extra Limbs for Takedown
« on: June 20, 2011, 07:05:00 PM »
How many of you guys have an extra set or 2 of limbs for your takedowns.  Do both sets get used much?  My name should be coming up soon after a year-long wait for a new bow and  I keep going back and forth on a getting lighter set.  And if I don't get it and change my mind later, I'll have to wait another year plus.
Thanks, Brian
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Extra Limbs for Takedown
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 07:13:00 PM »
I have 4 bows that have extra limbs, and I never have used the extra limbs except when I first bought them to try them out.  One joker in the deck is that the limbs I ended up leaving on the bow and using are not always the same limbs I thought I would use the most when I bought the bow.  But if you're buying the bow mainly as a target bow, and think you might want hunting limbs, or vice versa, it might be better to save your money and buy the more specialized bow sometime in the future.  Of course, if you only intend to have one bow, then extra limbs might be a good idea.

I'll never buy another bow with more than one set of limbs.  Now I might buy a bow and later not be happy with the limbs and order a different set, but that's a different thing.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline TDHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 07:28:00 PM »
Rarely ever use the second set......only to try them out once and a while.

Offline Jeff Mundy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 07:35:00 PM »
For me it would depend on how long you plan to keep the bow as well as price. If you're sure that you will be using the bow for a good while then I'd say you could justify it. But I see a lot of guys who wait months for a new bow & then don't keep it no time at all before they're off chasing the next bow of their dreams.

Offline Jeff Mundy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 07:36:00 PM »
For me it would depend on how long you plan to keep the bow as well as price. If you're sure that you will be using the bow for a good while then I'd say you could justify it. But I see a lot of guys who wait months for a new bow & then don't keep it no time at all before they're off chasing the next bow of their dreams.

Offline dsc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 07:46:00 PM »
It works for me because of bad elbows.I use a light set,46# for the off season and step up to 55# for hunting. Dan

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 07:47:00 PM »
Had a second set I never used then picked up another riser. Now with two bows I shoot them about even.
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline bfrbmj

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 08:18:00 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  It will be a hunting bow that I will keep and hopefully give to my son many years from now.  I am not looking for the magic bow and I have another takedown that I really like.  I just wanted to try something new.  I am going to drop a few pounds of drawweight  with the new bow and I have a couple of old lower weight tag-sale bows that I can use for form improvement if needed. So I definitely do not need the extra set but would consider it if guys said they were a must have.
Thanks, Brian
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target

Offline BOWMARKS

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 09:36:00 PM »
I have had extra sets but always end up buying a riser for them,so I end up with extra bows instead. $$$$$$$
Kanati Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Hoot's Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Shrew Classic Hunter 56"-47#@28"

TGMM Family Of The Bow
United Bowhunters of Penna.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2011, 11:01:00 PM »
I have 14 sets of Bear TD limbs. I am out of control!
John

Offline Trooper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 09:20:00 AM »
Thanks John, I thought something was wrong with me, I only have 13 sets!
It's not what you kill but how you hunt...

Offline Mack_S

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2011, 09:32:00 AM »
My first recurve, a used Hoyt Huntmaster, came with 3 sets of limbs: #45, #60, and #70.  I used the #45's for target and bow fishing and stepped up to the #60 for hunting.  Tried the #70 (which are mismarked at #40) once and it was just too heavy.  I've since acquired a couple of Blacktail T/D bows and only use the Hoyt for bowfishing now.  I've thought about getting a second set of limbs for the Blacktail so the girlfriend could shoot it, but for the price of a set I will go out and get her something more suitable and have money left over for arrows, quiver, etc...
-Mack

Offline bfrbmj

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2011, 10:25:00 AM »
Wow-12 - 13 sets?  I can't even count that high.  I thought an extra set was bad.  But I guess that if you need to have a 54# setup and you only have a 53# and a 55# set, you have to split the difference!  At least if my wife questions any of my "needs" for a new bow or limbs, I can show her I am not as bad as some of you guys.  But now I have something to shoot for.  It is a fun addiction to have.
Brian

Offline cyred4d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2011, 10:48:00 AM »
I would guess it has been 4 or 5 years since I used the second set of limbs for my recurve. The lighter set performs so well I just never change them out.

Offline cedar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2011, 11:01:00 AM »
I have a Blacktail TD and ordered 55@29 limbs with it 12 years ago.  Now I have an order in for a set of 47 lb limbs.  Probably will never shoot the 55's again when the 47's arrive.

Online mnbwhtr

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2011, 11:05:00 AM »
I've only got about 8 sets of Bear T/D limbs but when I used to fly around the coutry on hunting trips I'd slip a second riser and set into my baggage just in case the bowcase got lost. My hunting buddy of 40 years also shoots a Bear T/D, He's right handed and I'm a lefty so then we'd just swap second risers and be covered. On a trip to Alaska I ended up shooting his arrows 3" shorter but mine were lost so it payed off.

Offline Dave Earley

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2011, 11:49:00 AM »
extra sets of limbs are a good idea for lots of reasons, in my book.  I have 2 spare sets at the moment for my Fedora; one set higher than my normal wieght, one set lower.  I have had some elbow and shoulder issues in the past so I'm covered no matter what.
Dave Earley

"Papa shoot arrows at deer, we eat tasty steaks !"  Matt, my 3 yr old grandson.
Leon Stewart Slammer 64"  55#

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2011, 11:59:00 AM »
All my takedowns have extra set.I like them about 10 lbs difference.The lighter I hunt w/in colder weather.

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2011, 12:00:00 PM »
I don't think I am leading the pack, with 8 sets of TD Limbs for 3 RH, 1 LH Bear TD. Plus 1 set for sale and another purchased to repair.   :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline bfrbmj

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2011, 02:50:00 PM »
Overbo-  That was one of the main reasons I had thought that a lighter set was a good idea.  When it gets real cold and wearing a ton of layers,  I figured an easier pulling bow might be nice.
Thanks, Brian

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©