3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tuning carbons help  (Read 178 times)

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
Tuning carbons help
« on: June 21, 2011, 10:36:00 AM »
I bought some new carbon shafts and want to tune them to my bow. I checked it on Stu Millers calculator and want to cut them longer what than what it recommended so I can cut off a little at a time till I get the length to where I need it. Is there any thing I could use temporally hold the inserts in while shooting it without losing it in the target? I don't want mess up the inserts using glue then trying to take apart to cut it down.
Thanks, Mike
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline abbatoys

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tuning carbons help
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 11:06:00 AM »
I use hot melt glue, but have lost some inserts in my target at times....That is all I know of to make a temporary hold....
62" Thunderstick Moab  52lb @ 28"
60" Bear Takedown 45lb @ 28"
60" Bear 59'er 45lb @ 28"

Offline Eugene Slagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 11:09:00 AM »
Same here I've used hot melt glue for years, just when you have to remove them use a regular cigarette lighter & heat the point up till it moves to remove from the carbon arrow, this way you don't damage the shaft.
Zona Custom Recurve: 60" 49# @ 27.5".
Sky Sky Hawk Recurve: 60" 47# @ 27.5".
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore, please take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.

Offline metsastaja

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 12:14:00 PM »
if bare shafting cut from the back. A little bit of cling/saran wrap over the insert will get you a couple of shots. Use a bag target.
Les Heilakka
TGMM Family of the Bow  
Some times the uneventful nights are just as good if not better than the eventful ones

Offline Old Chief

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 01:33:00 PM »
Have you tried "quick stick" hot melt?  It has been working great for me.

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 01:40:00 PM »
Typically, I glue them in using minimul glue and remove the inserts using an ~8" carbide dowel and a 300 gn point to remove inserts.

Remove nock, insert dowel, then replace nock to prevent cuts.  While holding hand over nock and end of arrow and arm positoined ~30 degrees from overhead, I whip the the arrow towards the ground driving the dowel into the back of the insert. Be patient and continue the movement until you the insert wedge loose ~ 1/4" of the insert length. I will then hold the shaft perendicular to the floor and then quickly lower then raise the shaft drivng the dowel in to the back of the insert for a safer removal.

Note: Once you get familiar with the feel of the dowel position  w/i the shaft, this process actually is quick. Also keep in mind that the exiting insert, shaft and point have to go somewhere.

Works well. Have been able to remove numerous full glued-in inserts with this method and have resulted in no damaged inserts..
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 02:11:00 PM »
Thanks for the help I have all that stuff now I need to decide on which one to use   :thumbsup:   .
Thanks Mike
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 06:33:00 PM »
Bag target and a drop of regular olds Elmers glue, ya can pull them out with pliers and clean them with hot water and same for inside of shaft, not too hot for shafts. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Rick Richard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 08:18:00 PM »
Bag target and wrap the insert with teflon tape.  I have been doing this and have not had one insert come out. Removal is easy and clean up is just to remove the tape.

Offline oxnam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 08:24:00 PM »
Glue the insert in with your regular glue or epoxy and do your cutting off the nock end.  That was the easiest solution for me.

Offline scedvm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2011, 12:19:00 AM »
Interesting idea Rick, I usually use plastic wrap or cut from the nock end but I think I will try the teflon tape idea!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©