3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A glove question  (Read 412 times)

Offline Spurs

• Trad Bowhunter
A glove question
« on: June 21, 2011, 02:20:00 PM »
I am currently running through duragloves like water.  They are really great when new and stiff, but after shooting my high poundage bows a few weeks they seem to just become paper thin and my fingers get fatiqued.  

I am looking for a high quality leather glove that has that personal feel, but also has cushioned fingers, maybe some rabbit fur in side or something.  Something that seems to get better with age not wear out as fast.

Any suggestion?  Thanks Tom
I like Spurs

Morrison Mini ILF copperhead skinned
Morrison Shawnee copperhead skinned

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: A glove question
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 03:09:00 PM »
I use the Duraglove for bows up to about 55#, and the Big Shot in buffalo leather for bows heavier than that.  The Big Shot is similar to the Duraglove in that it is leather covered with nylon or cordura, but everything is heavier duty than the Duraglove.  I like the Duraglove for bows where I can use it, since I get a better feeling of the string, but I need a little more support for heavier poundage bows.

Most people don't report wearing out Duragloves very fast, if at all.  I wonder if you're having some kind of problem getting off the string, and it is dragging too much on the fingertips of your glove?

P.S.  the only thing I know of that gets better with age is wine.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Ray_G

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 03:12:00 PM »
Spurs,

The American Leather Big Shot is made from elk or bison leather - great quality.  The finger stalls are leather inside, a layer of neoprene and outside is nylon web strap material.  They feel really good, can stand up to heavier weights and last for years.

They also make the Big Shot CrossOver glove with the materials reversed and a nylon insert instead of the neoprene.  Might be the ticket for heavier bow poundages.

Contact John at American Leathers (a sponsor of Trad Gang)  http://www.americanleathers.com/

I have one CrossOver and two elk Big Shots and love them.

Ray
Sunset Hill 64" 54# @ 26"  "Destiny"

B.H.A.

Offline Ray_G

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 03:16:00 PM »
Hi Dave    :wavey:   Guess we were posting about the same time.
Sunset Hill 64" 54# @ 26"  "Destiny"

B.H.A.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 03:26:00 PM »
Hi Ray, I'll be driving up through your neck of the woods on Friday to attend Rod Jenkins's class in American Falls on Sat & Sun.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Spurs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 05:29:00 PM »
Thanks for the replies. Beer gets better with age as well.  I mean my age off course.lol
I like Spurs

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 05:36:00 PM »
I had hoped to stay with a glove. I have 4 different ones, including Duraglove, Martin, and a couple more I can't think of the name for. I shoot 45-49# so I didn't want to go with a thick glove.

I did well with these for about 14-15 months. Then my drawing hand starting being sore. Not blisters just general soreness in the entire fingers. Some days I could shoot without much pain and other days I couldn't shoot 1-2 arrows.

I've switched to a high-tech (cavilier) tab for the past month. The soreness is gone and my accuracy doesn't seem to have been impacted (better or worse). I don't like the tab as much -- it is sometimes a bit painful to the corner of my mustache area -- sometimes I think I'm anchoring a tad different causing the tab to strike or pull my face as I release and follow-through.

Offline Spurs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 05:42:00 PM »
Tab has NY been ruled out.  Another question. Do most prefer the full shot or standard?  The full shot looks more comfortable to me.  I also wear a medium duraglove to keep it tight.  How do the big shots run?
I like Spurs

Offline Spurs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 05:43:00 PM »
Tab has NY been ruled out.  Another question. Do most prefer the full shot or standard?  The full shot looks more comfortable to me.  I also wear a medium duraglove to keep it tight.  How do the big shots run?
I like Spurs

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 05:51:00 PM »
The Big Shot is very comfortable.  I've never worn the Full Shot.

I wear a medium Duraglove, which is a little too tight at first, then fits good after 50-100 shots.  The medium Big Shot fits the same, maybe a little tighter at first, although they vary some from glove to glove.  The last one I bought still feels a little tight, and I don't think my hands have grown that much!  The Buffalo Big Shot seems to offer a little more finger protection than the Elk, but that could just be me.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline bowgy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 05:51:00 PM »
I have worn out two American Leathers gloves. For me the cordura seems to fray on the edges.  I'm now using a super glove from lost nation archery and after thousands of shots the cordovan leather looks new.  the cordovan leather wraps around the fingers not just a strip on the bottom like the cordura on the American leathers it's also longer if you use a deep hook.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2011, 06:30:00 PM »
Spurs:  The American Leather's glove runs pretty true to size, IMO.  They do tend to stretch a little with use, but hasn't been a problem for me.  Just to clarify, there is no neoprene inside the finger stalls.  Just a leather stall covered by the nylon webbing.  

Bowgy makes a couple of good points vis-a-vis the super glove.  If you take a deep hook, you can be right on the end/edge of the nylon overlay with the Big Shot glove.  The stiffer/harder cordura also protects the index finger a little better against finger pinch/ rubbing on a metal nock point.  

I like the big shot glove rather than the full shot.  Full shot might be a bit warmer in cold weather, but may be too warm in warm weather.  Also prefer the elk over the buffalo, but buffalo might be better for really heavy bows.

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2011, 08:38:00 PM »
I would recommend looking at E.W. Bateman's gloves specifically the one with the nylon insert as it is made specifically for heavy bows.
James Kerr

Offline Spurs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2011, 12:01:00 AM »
Thank you guys for such informative replies.  I am going to check out all of the ones mentioned and might just pick up the three different brands to make dang sure which one I like.  You can never have too many laying around.
I like Spurs

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2011, 01:39:00 PM »
I've had a problem when using gloves that have cordovan leather over the fingertips.  When I shot the bow the string would slide off the hard cordovan tips into my nose.  I ended up cutting off the very tips of the fingers, so the fingertips were slightly open-ended, and that stopped the string from hitting my nose.  But then I didn't like the gloves so ended up giving them to my son (sons are useful for things like that).
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline arrow flynn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2012, 01:34:00 PM »
Ewbateman is the glove its cordovan w nylon inserts I cut 1/4 inch off the tips to feel my anchor. Its the type of glove Howard hill used. Good for 50 lb and above bows. Imho all the other gloves are pretenders to the throne.
Arrow_Flynn

Online Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2012, 01:52:00 PM »
Three Rivers has a barta glove it is a glove with a cordura covering on the shooting figures.  Less feel but is a great glove and last a long time, been shooting with mine for 5 years, and looks to have many more.
Life is about learning from your mistakes!

Chek-mate hunter I 62" riser with 60" limbs 49&42lbs@28

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Big Jim Mountain Monarch Recurve  60 inch / 50 lbs @ 28

Offline Shortlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2012, 02:07:00 PM »
+ 1 on the Bateman cordovan with inserts. Great glove. Very heavy duty but will last for years.
Ask me about the Professional Bowhunters Society.
Bobby Parrott

Offline Reaper TN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2012, 02:46:00 PM »
Kustom King makes a glove they call their deerskin glove.  Very well made and comfortable with thick cordovan fingers. Works great with higher poundage bows. They run about $23.
TT Pinnacle II  45# 62"
Hoyt Excel  50# 64"

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2012, 05:23:00 PM »
If you want comfort and durability get the American Leathers big shot. Kinda clubby when you first get it but with a little break in, theres none better. Had mine for two or three years and still going strong. When I buy another glove it'll be a big shot. Tryed a tab for a little while and didnt care for it but I love the big shot!

JMHO, Jason

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©