3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Is this a problem?  (Read 1050 times)

Offline krink

• Trad Bowhunter
Is this a problem?
« on: June 21, 2011, 09:07:00 PM »
I have snapped a string and came close to snapping another one in about 3 days.  The first string that snapped was older but when I inspected it when I first received the bow it looked to be in fine condition.  It snapped at the loop where the twists come together.  It was on the top nock at the time.  The second string that was frayed badly, but not snapped, was made by me.  I am not a pro but it was made well enough not to break.  It frayed at the same point that the first string broke at.  Both were D50 string 12 strand.  I only shot 10 or so arrows out of the first string and less than 50 from the second.

I began looking over the nocks to see if there were sharp edges.  There wasn't anything note worthy.  I did a search and most posts said sharp edges.  One post did catch my eye though.  It stated that breakage around the loop can be caused by too light of arrows, basically dry firing my bow.  I do not know the exact weight that I am pulling (will find out soon though) but my arrows are 410gns +- 3.  If I were to guess how much I am pulling I would say form 50-55lbs.

So after making another string and taping myself I discovered this happening on my bow.  Not sure if this is a helper in diagnosing the problem but it never hurts.

The first two images go together.  The first is at anchor and the second is 1 frame after release.  I notice the lower limb moving quite a bit more than the top.  I am shooting 3 under.

The next 2 images are how the string is acting after the arrow is gone.  It is a wavy, crazy mess.  Seeing this is more proof that I am shooting too light of an arrow, but I am no expert.

Thanks for the help.  

Kyle
The raising of that flag on Suribachi means a Marine Corps for the next five hundred years.
---James Forrestal

Sticks and stones will break some bones and feed my family this winter.

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Is this a problem?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 09:14:00 PM »
I don't think you should shoot that bow anymore until you find out if that is normal or not. It doesn't look right.

Did you also try and shoot it split finger with pictures ?
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline Swamp Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 09:19:00 PM »
Sounds like a bunch of marginal things may have added up for your failure.  First string was old, second string was frayed, 12 strand B-50 is marginal for a 55# bow (normally a 14-16 strand would be used), arrows are very light at less than 8gpp.  The first thing I'd do is order or build a 14 strand string and add a little weight to get those arrows up to at least 8gpp or more.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
- William Arthur Ward
Black Widow PSAV 42#@29
Collection of Red Wing Hunters
Northern Mist Superior 43#@28
Blue Ridge Snowy Mt 51#@30"

Offline Swamp Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 09:22:00 PM »
Hmmm, looks like that lower limb finished up way ahead of the upper; but that could be camera angle or something.  Might be worth checking tiller so see if it's way out of wack; although I don't know if that would cause string breakage as much as just funky arrow flight.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
- William Arthur Ward
Black Widow PSAV 42#@29
Collection of Red Wing Hunters
Northern Mist Superior 43#@28
Blue Ridge Snowy Mt 51#@30"

Offline krink

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 09:24:00 PM »
The fraying of the second string happened during the 50 or so shots.  The string was new and in perfect condition when it was put on.  It was removed after the fraying was found.
The raising of that flag on Suribachi means a Marine Corps for the next five hundred years.
---James Forrestal

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 09:28:00 PM »
Kyle,  I'm no expert in the physical dynamics of a bow in action but that looks really bizzare. In your first tow pictures look closly at the string silencers (top and bottom), see how far the lower one has moved in the second picture compared to the top?  I'm referencing the top one by the white marks in the clipped off picture at the top of the frame and the lower by distance from the edge of your jeans.  In the last two pictures look at the bend of the upper limb compared to the lower.  The top limb looks like it is still significantly bent and not recovering at any where near the same rate as the lower limb.

Your arrow is a little light if your numbers are close but I don't think that is the culprit here.  I'd look to the bow and hopefully some bowyers will chime in here.

GREAT pictures by the way!
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 09:38:00 PM »
The top limb is definitely bending quite a bit more than the bottom limb at full draw. Did ya check the limb nocks for any rough edges? Shawn
Shawn

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 09:45:00 PM »
Bow way out of tiller....and I aint no bowyer.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Online jess stuart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 10:34:00 PM »
Looks to be badly out of tiller.  I don't think I would be shooting it anymore. I wouldn't be surprised to see it delaminate if it is shot much more.  Neat pics definitely show something is amiss.

Offline krink

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 11:09:00 PM »
Is there anyway to fix this problem?  If this were a random bow I would be fine with putting it down.  This is my first REAL trad bow and it was given to me by my grandfather.  I don't have much history with it but it being my grandfathers bow I would love to hunt with it and build history.  Plus its my only trad bow (and I promised myself I would take a deer with it this year) and I don't have the extra funds to get another bow.  Decisions, decisions.
---James Forrestal

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 11:27:00 PM »
Get a hold of "whip" here.
This is his site....
  http://www.prairietrad.com/page30.html  

I've only heard VERY  good things about the man.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline hill boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2011, 11:36:00 PM »
brace hight?
Your best shot is only as good as your next one!

Offline krink

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2011, 11:40:00 PM »
The brace height is 7 in.  Usually when the string stops streaching and I stop twisting the string it will break with in 20 shots.  Not sure if that info helps.
---James Forrestal

Offline don s

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2011, 12:06:00 AM »
i would be willing to bet that the top limb already has a break started. possibly a compression fracture. i can't think of any other reason why it's so out of tiller. be careful. can you post a pic of it's strung profile? don

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2011, 12:18:00 AM »
looks to me the top limb has taken a permanent set back for one reason or another....and got stiff because of it.

The bottom limb is doing all the moving...like you said.

Looks like the upper limb gives a classic "D" profile and the lower a strong r/d profile.

Wish I knew enough to really help...
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Online kat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2011, 02:36:00 PM »
I would like to see a profile of the bow strung, and one at full draw at the same level. The camera angle may be adding to the distortion, but if it is any where near as bad as it looks, I wouldn't shoot it anymore. WAY out of tiller.
Ken Thornhill

Offline krink

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2011, 02:37:00 PM »
Bump up to the top to see if anyone else has anything to say.

Also I am going to get some 5 minute epoxy tonight and add weight in the form of .223 bullets to see if that helps.  I get pics of the arrow flight with heaver arrows.

And Kat I will get pics tonight of full draw and normal braced.  After hearing that my bow is out of tiller I checked in a mirror and did not see anything that would make me think it was out of tiller.  With that said I was holding the bow and not using a tiller tree so I will have o build one as well.
---James Forrestal

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2011, 02:39:00 PM »
Tiller issues!
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline traditional beagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2011, 03:18:00 PM »
Sorry. Looks like a cocked cannon to me. Not worth hurt'n yourself.

Offline frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2011, 04:44:00 PM »
Originally posted by Terry Green:
Bow way out of tiller....and I aint no bowyer.
Ya got that right, WOW  :eek:
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©