3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Is this a problem?  (Read 1048 times)

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Is this a problem?
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2011, 04:53:00 PM »
Originally posted by krink:
After hearing that my bow is out of tiller I checked in a mirror and did not see anything that would make me think it was out of tiller.  
Krink....look at the bend of the top limb....

Then look as the bend of the lower limb....

Do you see the difference?

Also...what is the draw weight of this bow?
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline don s

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2011, 08:36:00 PM »
Originally posted by don s:
i would be willing to bet that the top limb already has a break started. possibly a compression fracture. i can't think of any other reason why it's so out of tiller. be careful. can you post a pic of it's strung profile? don
check the belly side of the top limb. are there any small horizontal lines(chrysals)anywhere on the limb? if the bow had correct tiller before and has always been good until now, something has to have changed to cause tiller to be out so bad. don

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2011, 09:06:00 PM »
It looks like the brace is way too low, allowing far too much forward limb movement.
John

Offline krink

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2011, 10:38:00 PM »
Here are the pictures that were requested.  

Terry I do not know the exact draw weight at my draw length but it is advertised as 58# @ 28.  I am pulling 27 1/2.  

The raising of that flag on Suribachi means a Marine Corps for the next five hundred years.
---James Forrestal

Sticks and stones will break some bones and feed my family this winter.

Online Jock Whisky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2011, 12:02:00 AM »
I assume you used a digital camera. I believe they take a picture by scanning from top to bottom or vice versa. This means that the picture of the top pf the bow was taken at a slightly different time than the bottom of the bow. This would result in the limbs appearing out of tiller. It would also account for the string appearing loose. There may be nothing wrong with your bow. The picture may be "lying" to you. I would check with a digital camera expert before doing anything with the bow.

JW
Old doesn't start until you hit three figures...and then it's negotiable

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2011, 12:05:00 AM »
interesting....
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline krink

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2011, 12:12:00 AM »
Jock Whisky- that is interesting.  I think one way to test this theory is to video myself with the camera upside down.  I think that would be a good tester to see if what you say is really happening.
The raising of that flag on Suribachi means a Marine Corps for the next five hundred years.
---James Forrestal

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2011, 12:15:00 AM »
cool idea.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline krink

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2011, 12:29:00 AM »

Well I just tested it in less that favorable light but If you look at the string silencers it shows the top limb (shown on the bottom of the picture) moving first.  I will get another video tomorrow in daylight to make sure.

Jock Whisky I cant thank you enough for putting that input in there.  I am tech stupid and never would have known about that.

Here is the next frame that I forgot to put in.  Looking at the limbs it really looks like the top limb is moving more.  More proof that it is the camera.

---James Forrestal

Offline joekeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2011, 12:55:00 AM »
How do you check tiller?  Do you measure, or look in a mirror ?  :dunno:

Offline krink

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2011, 01:10:00 AM »
Tiller check was done in a mirror.  I dont have a tiller tree built.  There is a pic that has me at full draw.  Thats the best I can do right now
---James Forrestal

Offline joekeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2011, 09:04:00 AM »
Have you measured the tiller?  Measure from the end of the fades out to the string.  Let us know what they each measure.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2011, 09:20:00 AM »
I wouldn't make a tiller tree just to 'check this bow'....I wouldn't worry about 'trick photography'...or jumping through any more hoops.

All you need to know and see is in this pic.  You may not want to hear it...or believe it....but this bow IS out of tiller.

Same with this new pic....you can see it without a tiller tree or the block trick.....face it...its out.

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2011, 09:38:00 AM »
Got another question....your original post lead me to believe you are a new trad bowhunter?  Yes or no?

If so....how committed are you to hunting with a tradbow?  If you were to lay that bow down due to its condition, or hang it on the wall for a looker......

Would you be opposed to hunting with a TD Recurve as a gift till you could save up for a new one?....or maybe keep the recurve for a year and then pass it on to someone else?

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2011, 03:44:00 PM »
Terry is right this bow is way out of tiller, The bottom limb is doing all the work and if you look at the full draw pick you can even see the handle is completely tilted inward toward the bottom limb.

What a offer Terry   :thumbsup:  I hope he dosen't take offense but the bow does have problems. I wonder what kind of hand shock he is getting with the limbs being so different and defentely a cause of strings going bad.

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline metsastaja

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2011, 04:46:00 PM »
the next thing that may go is the limb itself.
Les Heilakka
TGMM Family of the Bow  
Some times the uneventful nights are just as good if not better than the eventful ones

Offline Benjamin199

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2011, 05:05:00 PM »
There is a place that fixes bows, contact Whip on this forum he may be able to help you out with this bow.
Good Luck.
Ben
Jack Kempf Kwik Styk  60" 54@30
Holm-Made Goshawk 64" 46@28"
NRA Life Member

Offline USN_Sam1385

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2011, 05:06:00 PM »
Be hard to take offense to something so generous as the offer that I THINK terry is making him.
62" Craig Warren Black Timber 3PC T/D Recurve: 48lb @ 28".

Offline Rusty Snuffers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2011, 05:23:00 PM »
-looks for a bow that's out of tiller to show pics to Terry-

Just kidding!  (maybe)
   :bigsmyl:

I'd be pretty wary of shooting it anymore if it were me, man.  Do as others have suggested and hit the "Directory" button above and search for Whip.
Black Widow PSA V 48# @27"
Samick Deermaster T/D 50# @28"
Dale Dye Good Medicine 50# @27"
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost."  JRR Tolkien

Offline Swinestalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2011, 05:23:00 PM »
You are a class act, Terry!
Having done so much, with so little, for so long, I can now do anything with nothing.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©