3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: sitka clothing! is it hooplaa?  (Read 488 times)

Offline hill boy

• Trad Bowhunter
sitka clothing! is it hooplaa?
« on: June 21, 2011, 11:15:00 PM »
Ok fellows,everyone has gotten my curiosity up on the sitka hunting wear.Matter of fact i'm wondering how anyone ever killed an elk before its invention.With that said ,do i need the full set of layering gear in order to hunt elk this september?Or just the rain gear or is it all rain proof?I have been on several elk hunts and do a lot of walking.And I have been known to build a fire and pitch camp on more than one occasion when it was too late to go to base camp.I want to know what the die hard sitka guys wear on a days hunt in north west colorodo.I feel Most of the sitka website is a sales pitch.I need to hear from the hunters that wear it.Thanks in advance.
Your best shot is only as good as your next one!

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: sitka clothing! is it hooplaa?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 11:37:00 PM »
Micheal,

I am going to bed, so I will answer in more detail if necessary tomorrow, but in short it is the perfect gear for elk hunting.  It works best as it was designed; as a system.  Most guys that don't like it use a piece or two with their old marginal gear and expect a miracle.  I have worn it from Arizona to Alaska and on hunts as rugged as Bighorn Sheep and as sedintery as Brown Bear.  If there was something better I would own it!

Offline excelpoint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 03:21:00 AM »
Just received my first Sitka gear today. i got a Ascent Jacket and Pants for hunting here in Australia. It doesnt get real cold here but I will wear it with Ice Breaker merino thermals underneath when the temps get down. I will have them out Sunday for their first hunt but so just the comfort wearing them is superb. The quality is also first rate.
"A hunt based only on trophies taken falls short of what the ultimate goal should be ... time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and the fish that live there."
Fred Bear

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 08:18:00 AM »
It's beautifully made, well designed (though sizing is small) and pretty much bombproof, but a little on the expensive side IMHO.

Offline BowPlinker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 10:11:00 AM »
Yes sizing is small.. I had ro return a pair my Brothter in law bought me.. I have the Ascent pants and the vest.. Some of the best made stuff I have worn.. I wear in in the heat in Louisiana and all over.. Never hunted out west,,, Wore it one the bear quest 5 hunt every day for comfort.. And wore in under my Grey Wolf Woolskin Perdator camo for comfort when chilly or raining, It makes a great layer..
I however just wish there was a different choice in the cammo pattern.. Love predator spring green.
Acadian Woods 56" 3pc Tree Stick
Acadian Woods 56" 1pc Tree Stick
Pine Hollow Osage. 58" longbow
Owner of Calumet Trade Goods
   http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=162;t=000031

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 12:18:00 PM »
Now they'd really have something if they made it in Predator Camo (I am partial to Spring Green myself)!  :thumbsup:

Offline Wary Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 12:47:00 PM »
The way I understand it, Gore owns Sitka, so you are probably not going to see it in Predator camo since Gore has their own camouflage (Optifade).  That said, both the Open Country and Forest Optifade are the results of scientific efforts to break up the human outline, which is what Predator and ASAT were trying to do on a less-than-scientific basis.  (This strategy is different than the match-exactly-the-scenery strategy of many other designs).  At "target engagement" distances, the Optifades don't look digital at all, they destroy the human outline in my opinion and I think you'd be pleased with them. (I have to admit Mountain Mimicry did well at this too, but mixing old and new Sitka is not a problem!).  

A couple other thoughts on Sitka Gear.  It is not cheap.  But then again, I think 10-20 hard years from now, you will be wearing the same stuff you buy now...which makes it extremely economical in the long run.  (And will give us all incentive to keep our weight right where it's at!).  To say it's well-made is an understatement.

Another thing is that it all is designed to layer together.  Because my hunting partner/best friend keeps borrowing my warm Sitka stuff, I wanted to beef up my COLD weather gear this year and really wanted the Fanatic Jacket (designed esp. for cold weather whitetails), but felt I couldn't afford it right now.  But I got the Stratus jacket which is one step down in insulation from the Fanatic (but still warm), and already have a Kelvin insulation layer which will layer under it and effectively give me the R-value I'm looking for.  That's the beauty of the system.

That said, I need to let some guys experienced with elk and Sitka answer your question specifically.  The new Timberline and Mountain Pants are stretchy pants with knee pads and also waterproof knees/seat (Timberline).  Wow!  

I just got to put my hands on most of their lineup and if you have specific questions, please feel free to fire away.  Mike Mitten (HerdBull here) is currently doing a question and answer over on Sitka Gear's homepage.  He'd be a great guy to ask these questions of.
"Here's a picture of me when I was younger."
"Heck, every picture is of you when you were younger."
--from Again to Carthage, John L. Parker, Jr.

Offline hill boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 04:33:00 PM »
I purchased a set of cothes years ago that felt like saddle cloth but wasn't.They were very rain repellent quiet and breathed well.practically rain proof except maby a down poor.I guess they were ahead of there time because they went out of business. I'm trying to figure out which set of the sitkas fit that description or which one you elk hunters prefere.I dont have a store here locally carring them or i would just go look.Thanks for the info.

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011, 04:41:00 PM »
For what it's worth all my Kuiu sheds water like a duck's back.  Not turning this into a Sitka vs. Kuiu because that's not my intent, but if you're looking at Sitka, Kuiu should be on your list to compare.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2011, 04:56:00 PM »
I have a few pieces. I like the Forest pattern. I think it is well made, very durable, comfortable fit and well-designed with pockets, cuffs, snaps, etc.  It has caused me to retire almost every other hunting clothing I own.

I also like the packs, especially the day pack for my daily white-tail tree sits.

Offline Wary Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2011, 06:02:00 PM »
The Downpour Jacket by Sitka is their quiet raingear, IMO.  Not completely silent, but pretty darn close and whisper-quiet enough for close-range bowhunting.  I am totally satisfied with my Downpour model from about two or three years ago but this is even better with a nicely brushed surface to make it even quieter.  

Stormfront and Stormfront Lite are probably too noisy for close range hunting encounters.  But they are extremely light (not that Downpour is heavy, it's not).  I liken the Stormfront to be worn on a river guide who is always getting pounded by water from over the bow of the boat, hauling stuff in and out of the hull, banging through brush, etc.  It's bombproof.  

Stormfront Lite packs down TINY!  It also stretches and would be a perfect item for the guy who finds himself in frequent wet weather and wants something in his pack at all times to stay dry when they happen.  

So, Hill Boy, to answer your question, the Downpour sounds the most comparable to what you mentioned.  By the way, Downpour Pants feature full-length side zippers for easy on/easy off, and have an internal belt system.

Also, another point.  Any Sitka item advertised as having DWR is semi-waterproof.  DWR is Durable Water Repellant finish which repels water but is highly breathable.  The 90% Jacket/Pants have DWR; so does Jetstream Jacket/Vest, Mountain/Timberline Pant, and Ascent Jacket/Pant.

Bowwild, I'm with you.  I had a chance this weekend to mess with the Ascent 14 pack which is the most comfortable daypack I've ever seen and one in which shooting a bow with it fully loaded should not make a difference.  Love that horseshoe yoke system.

Offline hill boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2011, 10:14:00 PM »
Ok bryce,Is the downpour somthing you would wear all day or carry in case of a shower.If it were you how would you utilize this system.Not trying to be difficult but a once a year trip isn't a good time to experiment.Sounds like the 90% may be the way too fly with good silk/wool thermals. maby somthing fully rain proof for emergency's.Am I making sense?If you were headed to the rockies what would you wear in sitka, based on past trips?I appreciate Your input.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2011, 11:10:00 PM »
Micheal,

You wear any raingear, breatheable or not, humping up and down the mountans, you are going to be wet whether it is raining or not.

When I got my first Sitka Gear, it was for a bighorn sheep hunt in Colorado.  I was amazed.  Never in the month I hunted did I find one single moment I was uncomfortable.  This included multiple daily 2500' climbs and long sits in every weather condition you could think of.  I am an engineer and I enjoy testing things and figuring out how they work.  I purposely kept adding layers on my climbs.  I would POUR out sweat, yet I would not be overheated or uncomfortable and after 5-10 minutes into my spotting session, everything would be back to normal and I could sit for hours behind the binocs.  Another thing that impressed me and applies directly to elk hunting was 5 minutes or so into my climb, the pants that were completely soaked from my walk thru the meadow were dry.

Sitka pulls moisture off you and keeps you comfy.  Another interesting example for you.  A couple years ago I was hunting in southern Ohio Thanksgiving week.  I had quite a hike thru some hilly country to get to my stand.  I decided to wear all my gear rather than pack the insulation (Kelvin) and outer layer (Stratus) like usual.  I put my BlackBerry in the OUTSIDE upper pocket of my windproof jacket.  It was soaked and I had to get a new one, yet on the inside 10 minutes after I got set into the stand I had to hang from zero, I was all set comfort wise and sat the entire day.

Bryce mentioned DWR coating.  Same Ohio hunt.  Chance of rain...nah, I won't pack my raingear.  I layered under my 90% clothes and sat all day after it drizzled till noon.  It works pretty good.  I just did the same thing on my last night bear hunting in Manitoba.  I was on stand at two and got down at 10:30...it POURED most of the eveningt and my 90% was soaked thru, BUT, I was smart enough to have my Kelvin vest on and was just fine.  I can sit thru just about anything if I have a Kelvin vest or jacket on. They are the warmest/lightest piece of clothing I have ever owned.

A buddy of mine pooh poohed all my Sitka love for years.  I gave him my stuff to take on a Colorado elk hunt last October.  He has sold a bunch of his heavy bulky wool and has a full contingent of Sitka Gear now.  He was amazed at how it performed and was buying Sitka Gear at every opportunity this winter.

I like that if it is hot out, I can hunt in my core top.  It is camo and keeps you cool.  I would wear my core long sleeve top all summer climbing our sledding hill or bleachers with a 40-80# pack training.  Wear it under another layer and it keeps you warm.

So, what I would get as a middle of the road setup for any September elk hunt would be:

Core top and bottom
Traverse top and bottom
90% Jacket and pant
Kelvin vest

Get yourself a ponco to wear when it rains.  Stop and hunker down while the cloud blows thru. If not, Stormfront light is what you want on a backpack/mountain hunt.  It is not quiet like the downpour raingear, but you can shake it basically dry before you go in the tent.  That brushed layer which makes the dp quiet also holds water that is not going to dry quickly.  It is made for whitetail hunting where you are going to be coming to a house/cabin/motel every night and can dry it out.

You can go lighter with Ascent pieces or heavier with mountain/timberline pants and a Jetstream jacket, but you should be able to handle anything with what I listed above by mixing and matching as conditions warrant.

Like I said, most guys that don't like Sitka Gear have not used it as it was designed, as a system.

The harder the hunt is, the more you will  appreciate your Sitka Gear.

Offline hill boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2011, 12:13:00 AM »
Thanks Steven, That is some serious info.Just what I was looking for.So you would actually carry the whole set with you or just dress accordingly by the day? (Core top and bottom
Traverse top and bottom
90% Jacket and pant
Kelvin vest)

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2011, 12:28:00 AM »
Well, it is not all that heavy.  It would be nothing to keep what you are not wearing in your pack and adjust as necessary.

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2011, 06:34:00 AM »
I own the 90% jacket and pants. I also own the old Nimbus rain gear, as well as some Core undergarments. I have tried on the Kelvin jacket and vest, the Celsius line, the Ascent series, etc. I personally love the 90% and Nimbus. The other series did not impress me enough, considering their cost, to warrant my money. This is certainly a matter of individual preference. The guys who know me would likely tell you that I'm no cheapskate on my gear. No matter who makes it, I evaluate every item on its own merits. I did that with Sitka, and some of it pleased me while some didn't.

If you decide to go "full Sitka"...be sure your bank account can take it. Not hard to put $1,500 on your back very quickly. Very nice gear though, all money aside.

Offline Wary Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2011, 11:23:00 AM »
Hill boy, I SteveO answered your question in the kind of mountain experience-based detail I was hoping you'd get.  

One thing that I just learned this weekend from the guys at Sitka Gear HQ:  the actual Primaloft insulation in the Kelvin series will not absorb water.  Water just sits on it.  And the level of insulation is comparable to 550 weight goose down.

Offline mlmealey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2011, 12:08:00 PM »
Excellent product the key is layering, I've worn it for the past four years all over the US and abroad you won't go wrong with Sitka Gear.
IBA life member
PBS regular member
Compton TB member

Offline cjgregory

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2011, 12:19:00 PM »
I am a fan of the Optifade concept and pattern.  I am not a fan of the reflective material.  I put a blue spectrum light and black spectrum light up to it.  As usual man made synthetic materials reflect.  It will break up an outline but will reflect in contrast to rocks a vegetation as the rate of light absorbtion is different.

Great idea though.  I think its a matter of which problem one is trying to solve.  Using material that absorbs light at the same rate as the environment or creating a situation whereby the animal cannot focus on you. Two differnt problems.  So I would say the answer is yes (hype) and then I would say no (Optifade concept)

If they created it in a soft cotton or lite wool I would own it as the light absorbtion is relatively close to terrain.  The price does not concern me as it is my only hobby.  I know guys who spend more than I do on beer alone and then say they can't afford something.

Gore makes synthetic material.  Yes they are actually trying to sell thier material by using probably the best camo concept around.
You get to keep what you kill.  If it were easy there would be no value in it.
64" Silvertip 58# @ 31"

Offline highPlains

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2011, 12:48:00 PM »
Has anybody who wears the Sitka spent a lot of time in KOM wool? Some of my wool garments are wearing out and I have a hard time believing that I'll be as comfortable in Sitka as I would in my wool. I haven't found a direct comparison of KOM to Sitka and would appreciate anybody who knows the two products.
>>---> TC
Rocky Mountain Specialt

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©