3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ELK HUNTERS -- I Need Help!!!!!!  (Read 242 times)

Offline Marvin M.

• Trad Bowhunter
ELK HUNTERS -- I Need Help!!!!!!
« on: June 22, 2011, 12:44:00 PM »
Some of you may have noticed that I got drawn for an antlerless elk tag in the Kentucky Elk Lottery -- Woo Hoo!!!!!  That's the good news.  :bigsmyl:  

The bad news I "I don't know Jack about elk hunting".  :help:  

Elk hunting has been a dream of mine for a long time, but I haven't been willing to pay the cost of a western hunt (travel, out-of-state license/tags, guides, etc....), this is my first shot at it.  It's a two hour drive (roughly) for me now and in-state.

I'm looking for any advice I can get.  As the hunt unfolds, I'll post the story on here since I know we all like stories, but how about some help?

So far, I've found a grand total of one story in a magazine specifically addressing hunting cow elk and it was geared more toward a justification of it than it was about tactics.  The author hunted at a wallow, which would probably work, but I don't get to hit the woods until mid-October.  It's starting to get cool here by then and I don't know how effective that would be if the weather isn't warm.

First of all, can anyone recommend some books?  I can get them (more than likely) through the inter-library loan program and can read up on the subject as a starting point.

I've done some searches on the net and found some useful stuff there, but again point me to resources there.

Finally, tell me what to look for when scouting and just some general tactics to use.  I am definitely a green-horn at this.

Thanks in advance.

Marvin

Offline Marvin M.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: ELK HUNTERS -- I Need Help!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 12:47:00 PM »
Oh, I have bought a cow call and have started to practice with it a little.  I can make noices that sound like the sound bites I found on the net.  I don't think I would need a bugle for anything.

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 12:51:00 PM »
Marvin, congrats on your tag! That is awesome! I hunt cow elk most of the time as it seems that is the only tag I draw. All 3 elk that I have killed have been cows. Here is a thread from last years hunt:  http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=093436

As for books, I don't know. Elk are elk. I rarely bugle and use cow calls most of the time in elk country. I also do a ton of spot and stalk. I glass 'em, get the right wind, and make a stalk, rarely talking to them at all. I think sometimes calling them is a big no-no as you get lots of sets of eyes on you when you really don't need them  :)  Feel free to PM and I will do my best to help. Congrats again!!!
Mike Davenport

Offline scedvm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 01:34:00 PM »
Marvin, congrats on the draw.  Take a look at Paul Medel's website Elknut.com he has a dvd/cd specifically designed for cow hunting that should help you quite a bit.  Good luck....Shawn

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 01:50:00 PM »
Spot and stalk, or shoot them out of a treestand over a trail or waterhole.

Calf distress with your cow call will bring some in sometimes.
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 02:01:00 PM »
For calling check out elknut there is a wealth of info there. Like tracy said, if it is earlier in the season, sit water. Good luck and congrats on the tag!
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 02:37:00 PM »
I would read just about any general book on elk hunting as they decribe how to find elk.  I suspect you can pattern them once you find them since pressure is pretty limited in KY.  I like Don Laubach, Dwight Schuh, and David Petersen.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline PaddyMac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 03:17:00 PM »
I am reading "Bowhunting Modern Elk" by Patrick Meitin and it's pretty good basic information. He's kind of an extreme hunter (does a lot of running with sharp sticks) but he has some very good points about hunting elk these days that is different than hunting 20 years or so ago.

I have no idea how elk behave in Kentucky, but here in Washington, the first thing you have to do is find them.

I am going to be hunting this year in an area I've never hunted before and which is considered marginal. But I figure its a good way for me to hunt elk that don't see a lot of pressure, therefore, I can use calls, including bugling.... maybe.

I am in the deep research phase now, poring through Dept of Fish & Wildlife elk management plans, damage claims and traffic/elk accident reports.

Next comes scouting and there I'm looking for wallows, old rubs and scrapes, tracks and scat... and elk, of course.

Then in September I'll go in and try night bugling and see I can't get one to answer me.

Then I'll try setting up and calling in a bull, but I don't have high expectations. I think it will be spot and stalk as usual, getting up high and working ridgelines and trying to spot them with binocs below, then work down to them.

Meitin is right about one thing, you don't have to be too cautious about noise with elk. They are very noisy animals and very often you can do better walking like a cow than like a mountain lion. If you make a mistake, that's when cow calling comes in handy. Just meew instead of saying "Crap!"
Pat McGann

Southwest Archery Scorpion longbow, 35#
Fleetwood Frontier longbow, 40#
Southwest Archery Scorpion, 45#
Bob Lee Exotic Stickbow, 51#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 47#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 55#
Howatt Palomar recurve (69"), 40#

"If you leave archery for one day, it will leave you for 10 days."  --Turkish proverb

Online durp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011, 03:34:00 PM »
like others have said check out elknuts site...

you can always pm or email me if you want and ill be more than happy to help.

Offline Bails

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2011, 04:13:00 PM »
Marvin, firstly congrats on the draw . I got a field book off Elknut " Paul Medel" ,its a great read and very informative and its pocket size , so you can keep it with ya at all times  and hide it when the Boss appears while at work  :)  , it covers how to locate and bring Elk to you. There are also plenty of other books covering tactics , but Elknut is the Man . Try him first , his website covers everything from what to carry with you etc .... Good Luck
We are here for a good time , not a long time .

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2011, 04:46:00 PM »
I recently received the full set of DvD's and playbook from elknut.  I didn't know jack about elk hunting, and now... well, I know a bit more.  Seriously though, it does go into great detail and gives a neophite like myself some very practical knowledge.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2011, 05:08:00 PM »
Originally posted by Shedrock:
Spot and stalk, or shoot them out of a treestand over a trail or waterhole.

Calf distress with your cow call will bring some in sometimes.
This is the best advice that I can give as well. Often cows are not very responsive and sometimes they will run you over.

Keep in mind most of there life elk(Bulls) come looking for them. As mentioned elknut has a lot of great information and his calling and tactic are solid.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2011, 08:12:00 PM »
elk are curious if they receive little pressure. Higher pitched cow/calf calls in half hour sets has the potential to bring them in. Good luck!
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Offline Outwest

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2011, 08:41:00 PM »
Some really good advice so far.
Here are a few more things to ponder.
Get out several days before your hunt and try and locate some elk. I don't know about Kentucky but where I am you can find elk sign but the elk may be far away, so try and find them before season opens.
Also elk are herd animals that talk to each other.You can use the cow call in a couple different ways. One is to locate elk, they will answer the call with mews of their own. Also if you should spook them the call will sometimes make them settle down and not run off to far.
You can get away with making quite a bit of noise as they are noisy themselves always stepping on sticks and rocks, but if they smell you at all the game will be over.

Hope this helps.
Good luck.
John

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2011, 09:09:00 PM »
If you are hunting elk ..... scout, scout and then scout some more. I would doubt KY gets as much pressure on elk( unless there are lots of permits ) as in Western states so the elk should stay in the same general area unless there is some other external pressure from ATV's, campers, deer hunters ect ... so get to know the area you are going to hunt via maps, driving and boot leather.

Most states that have limited draw on a premier species like moose, goats, sheep or in the case of KY elk, I would assume your game department would be very helpful in pointing you in the right direction. Give a game biologist a call, I have found them very helpful.

Good luck and hunt safe ...
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline flinter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2011, 01:11:00 PM »
congrats on the draw. lots of good advice coming your way, heres how I do it. I hunt western Washington, the elk here are Rosevelts, they live in the same basic area, don't migrate like Rocky Mountain elk. Get in shape, elk are big and they cover lots of ground, be prepared to hike miles every day. Have a good packboard with good gamebags, saw and hatchet. Do your homework, scout all you can. Get that bugle, nothing more exciting than bulls bugling. Do your bugling on your Sept. scouting trips. Hunt all day, daylight to dark, and finally don't give up. You pay your dues you get your shots. There are NO EASY ELK. These basics have served me well over the years. I've been hunting with a smokepole for a long time, this year I was drawn for a multi-season elk tag. I am bow hunting this year with a Stewart wiggly limb t/d longbow. Can't wait for the bulls to start bugling! I have had great sucess with the Primos Hoochee Baby calf call. Those calfs have given up the location of many a herd.

Offline Kentucky Jeff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2011, 01:44:00 PM »
Just a couple of thoughts.  First, out west you can hunt water.  Because there ain't a lot of it and what exists gets used.  Back east its not such a good strategy unless there is a good drought.  In eastern KY water is everywhere and elk are not funneled to water holes on a regular basis.  

Second, since you've never hunted elk before you need to understand they mostly aren't habitual creatures like like deer.  They can and will move 30 miles in a day.  What this means for a hunter is he needs mobility or better a guide who has his radar dialed in on the movement of the elk herds. Now the good news is elk will generally not move around a lot if there is adequate food, cover and water.  In eastern KY there are few places that DON'T fit that description so you won't see elk move like they do in say Idaho.  Also, you aren't dealing with the elevation differences that can play hell with elk hunting out west where fronts can move in overnight and drive elk down off the mountains.

My advice for you is to spend $1,500 and hire a guide--in Kentucky that's about right.  You might even be able to negotiate a daily rate.   This is literally a hunt of a lifetime in KY even for a cow as the chances of drawing another tag in this life are small.   A decent guide should have no trouble finding animals and on your own that's an iffy proposition in unfamiliar terrain.  Your guide will also take care of getting your meat out and THAT is worth more than you can know in that kind of terrain and in weather that will unquestionably be in the 70's/80s...

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2011, 11:09:00 PM »
I would guess that most info out there is mountain elk hunting.  But that is going to be very different than KY hunting.  I could be wrong- and I really am not trying to cross others' advice- but I would be willing to bet your KY elk are going to be more akin to whitetail habits.  I bet those elk do not travel far and use the same habitat of feed and bedding just like whitetails.  I would plan on stands and blinds.  Just 2 C
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Smallwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2011, 01:49:00 AM »

Offline Montanawidower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2011, 02:39:00 PM »
I like what Kentucky Jeff and KSdan said.  I would imagine eastern elk not following western rules.  With that said... sometimes a cow out here is much tougher to kill than a small bull.  The cows are often less rut crazed and more vigilant.  Other times, a young lonely cow will hardly leave you alone.  Good luck.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©