3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Arrow weights and the Bowyer warranty  (Read 262 times)

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
Arrow weights and the Bowyer warranty
« on: June 22, 2011, 01:53:00 PM »
Is this pretty much standard for Bowyers and their bow warranty?

From one Bowyers site..........

See arrow weight chart below, not following these arrow weights will void the bows warranty.

Minimum arrow weight for bows 50 lbs or less use 8.5 gr per pound. Bows 51# and up use 9 gr per pound.

40lbs = 340 gr

41lbs = 348.5 gr

42lbs = 357 gr

43lbs = 365.5 gr

44lbs = 374 gr

45lbs = 382.5 gr

46lbs = 391 gr

47lbs = 399.5 gr

48lbs = 408 gr

49lbs = 416.5 gr

50lbs = 425 gr

51lbs = 459 gr

52lbs = 468 gr

53lbs = 477 gr

54lbs = 486 gr

55lbs = 495 gr

56lbs = 504 gr

57lbs = 513 gr

58lbs = 529 gr

59lbs = 531 gr

60lbs = 540 gr
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arrow weights and the Bowyer warranty
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 02:12:00 PM »
The minimum weights vary depending on the bowyer.  Black Widow's minimum is 8 gpp.  Robertson, Dalaa, Dakota minimums are down in the 7 gpp range.  Most recommend hunting weights of 9 gpp or more, although people like to push the lower end for target use.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 10:04:00 PM »
David - Very good response!
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 11:15:00 PM »
That is quite a chart! Would ya' deal with a bowyer with that much time on his hands?    :bigsmyl:

Offline Pete W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 02:12:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bjorn:
That is quite a chart! Would ya' deal with a bowyer with that much time on his hands?      :bigsmyl:  
I sure would, because he has to spend less time explaining to some shooter with a 300 gr arrow on a 60# bow why it broke, and has more time to make bows.   :)  
Pete.
Share your knowledge and ideas.

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 04:45:00 PM »
It would be pretty hard to mess up with this chart...  Kills the excuses  :)
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 06:00:00 PM »
Now I don't buy nearly as many bows as all y'all but; Schafer, A&H, Morrison, Fedora, Centaur don't even mention arrow weights in their warranties.  BW makes a deal about this........who else? Who's the guy with the chart?

Offline Jim Neaves

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • https://centaurarchery.com/
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 11:42:00 PM »
If you look on my website and click on the reference sheet, you will notice I tell people to not shoot anything less than 8 grains per pound. With high performance bows, you need the arrow weight to absorb the energy. Any less weight than that will be hard on a bow long term and you can pick up excess noise and vibration as well. I typically recommend 10 grains of arrow weight per pound of bow weight. With my bows you still get a pretty flat trajectory out to 25 yards, the bow is quiet, dead in the hand and you have an arrow with good KE. It just makes sense. I realize for shooting foam, guys will maybe want to go lighter but for hunting 10 grains per pound of bow weight and up, is hard to beat.

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2011, 11:49:00 PM »
You’re right I can’t find anything with the above bowyers that say anything about maximum arrow weight…

So will Schafer, A&H, Morrison, Fedora, Centaur honor their warranty if someone is shooting 4, 5 or 6gpp through there bow? I'm not saying that I would as I'm in the 10; 11gpp group just wondered if they would. Does it mean that they are doing something different with their limbs to take the extra stress?

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2011, 11:50:00 PM »
Jim you beat me to the trigger  :)

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2011, 12:20:00 AM »
I also agree with the 8 gpp.I think with most custom bowyers today that is standard.I havnt seen the chart idea but that spells it out well.I shoot 10gpp in my personal bow for everything,from foam to elk.Alot of guys today even go 11-12gpp.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2011, 12:26:00 AM »
I'm shooting the same 2212 aluminum arrow out of both of my bows. The 2212 weighs 421 grains and this is the lightest grain weight I've ever shot because of my draw length, point weight and overall length of the arrow.

In essence, my 42# recurve is shooting a 10.02 GPP arrow and my 37# recurve is shooting a 11.37 GPP arrow.

When one waits for a Blacktail and it's a long wait to get one, I don't like to push my luck GPP wise.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Holm-Made

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2011, 01:39:00 AM »
The string companies come out with lower and lower stretch strings every year it seems.  With this trend I always recommend that customers stay above 9 grains per pound.  I just feel better about it and I guess I'm from the school of thought that 9 grains per pound is a light weight arrow.
Just my 2 cents,  Chad

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2011, 02:03:00 AM »
Here is my perspective. I reccomend not to shoot less than 8 GPI I reccomed 9 to 11 GPI .
However if a bow is broken and the owner is shooting 6 or 7 Gpi is he going to tell me that or is he going to say he was shooting 9 gpi? This really depends on the moral fiber of the bow owner. As a bowyer I cannot make an assumption that he is shooting too light an arrow and refuse to honor warranty.
One thing I can do as a bowyer is visit with my customers as I am taking their order and get a handle on what they plan on using the bow for. Then we can come to an agreement before they buy my bow. Or I can suggest a bow for their application. I would rather have good relationships with my customers than not go the exta mile with them.
That said there have been people I refused to build a bow for. Its like a problem avoidance thing. LOL.

God bless you all, Steve

Offline daniel boon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2011, 02:32:00 AM »
In the instruction book that came with my Schafer Silvertip, Dave recomends 7.5gr per pound for non ff recurves,and longbows, and 8gr per pound for ff recurves.

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2011, 11:20:00 AM »
From Sixby ...  

"This really depends on the moral fiber of the bow owner. As a bowyer I cannot make an assumption that he is shooting too light an arrow and refuse to honor warranty."

Steve kind of puts you in a tough spot? Good news is this place holds a group of guys steeped with Integrity both Bowyers and Archers...  at least that has been my experience   :)

Offline Eugene Slagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2011, 11:38:00 AM »
I've always strived for at least 9GPP in my arrows & hope for more, even when I was shooting the training wheels.
I just felt that it was the best of both worlds, good performance with a great safety measure.
Zona Custom Recurve: 60" 49# @ 27.5".
Sky Sky Hawk Recurve: 60" 47# @ 27.5".
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore, please take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2011, 03:34:00 PM »
JUst a little story that sort of relates to this. I sold a d and r longbow to a gentleman that called me in a couple of days and said the tip broke off of this bow , can you fix it? I sad sure I can fix it and I will fix it but you will have a bow that is a couple of inches shorter. I will even adjust the poundage so that you are shooting the same poundage. However I have never had a tip just break off and I want to know how it broke off. He said it just broke off. I said was it raining. He said yes. I said you told me that you go out and shoot your recurve from under the porch when it rains , right? He said yes. I said you went out and shot the longbow under the porch right? He said yes. I said you hit the rafter with the bow tip when you shot it right? He said yes. I laughed and said send me your bow. LOL He did and I fixed it and it shot even better than it did at the longer length.
Point is , stuff happens and I just want my customers to be happy. However if you build the bow right and it gets closed in a door ect. then its just up to you as a bowyer how far you are toing to go. I know how I want to be treated and so I just treat my customers and friends the same.

God bless you all, Steve

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©