3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Old Bear making noises  (Read 195 times)

Offline DaveJ2

• Trad Bowhunter
Old Bear making noises
« on: June 22, 2011, 07:18:00 PM »
I have an old Bear Kodiak #5m663 that has been hanging in my closet for a lot of years.  I got it out the other day and when I tried to string it (using a stringer of course)it made creaking noises.  I tried a couple more times and still noise.  After a couple days I was able to string it with no noise but when I pulled it back it "creaked" again.  Now, the limbs are straight,no cracks or deep scratches,and the tips look OK.  It has been hanging on a peg for several years.  I've never had a bow make noise while pulling it back.  Is it going to blow up or de-laminate?  Is it safe? Does anyone have any suggestions what I should do or look for to prevent an accident?  Thanks for any help.
DaveJ2

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
Re: Old Bear making noises
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 07:22:00 PM »
Is it safe, No. You can have it inspected, and they might be able to find a small crack or separation in the limbs, but the bow is telling you it may let go any time.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 07:30:00 PM »
That is not a good sign.  But I would try a different string before you decide to cut the bow into firewood.  Is it possible the string is old and stretching?  Whatever you do, be careful while testing!  Wear some eye protection at a minimum!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Blueridge

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 07:31:00 PM »
Look/feel on the back of the bow where the limbs end at the riser. Mine de-lamed at that point. This was many years ago
Isaiah 1:18-20 Come now let us reason together, says the Lord.

Offline CoilSpring

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 12:32:00 AM »
Sometimes old, cold, string wax sticks to the belly side of the curves below each limb, and as you draw it, you hear 'clicks' or 'pops' as the wax lets go of the string.  

My Martin Rebel does this all the time, even after adding felt to the string groove on the limb belly.  A tip that Rob Lee at Bob Lee Archery gives to quieten string slap upon release, and that will also stop the clicks & pops upon drawing, is to remove the string and soak the loops and up to about 7 inches of the string in mineral spirits for about 30 minutes, wipe off all the mucky wax with a paper towel (yes a little color comes off, too) and repeat about 2 or 3 times.  Works great, quietens down the string and stops the pops. If it's not the wax, you've got problems.  Thank Rob, not me.
CoilSpring

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 06:23:00 AM »
This isn't string wax if it keeps happening. Take a magnifying glass to the bow, checking especially near the riser fadeouts, for small cracks and I bet you find the problem. Sometimes BowDoc can rescue an old bow-- ask him.

Offline OBXarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 06:28:00 AM »
Take a piece of cotton and rub all over the bow. It will snag on imperfections in the glass. Could lead you to the problem.

Offline illianabowhntr67

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 01:32:00 PM »
My kodiak hunter is doing the same thing.I'm going to inspect it real good and try a different string.Hope it works.

Offline DaveJ2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2011, 06:16:00 PM »
Well, I wiped it down with a cotton ball and no snags.  So I took the string off and wiped it down again with mineral spirits and cleaned the string loops.  I restrung the bow and wiped it down with cotton again and no snags.  I pulled it back a few times and no noises.  I'm going to leave it strung for a couple days checking it for noise as I pull it back.  If no more creaking in a few days I'll try shooting it.  Thanks for all the input

Offline Hit-or-Miss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2011, 07:29:00 PM »
Well, my knees creak bad every time it rains or gets cold it. I'm going to try that cotton ball / Mineral spirits trick and wipe my string loops. I tried Hoppes #9, and although I LOVE the smell, it didn't help that pain or stop the creaking!

Offline atatarpm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2011, 10:15:00 PM »
one of my bows started to delaminate with small little clicking noises. At first I though it was the string settling, but then the limbs started to get foggy and I quit shooting the bow.
Atatarpm   "Traditional Archery is a mastery of one's self ; not of things."
71# Qarbon Nano
67# T2 Blacktail
85lbs Bama
100lbs Bama
60lbs Big D's Long Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©