3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: i hope tradgang is protected from hackers....  (Read 406 times)

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
i hope tradgang is protected from hackers....
« on: June 23, 2011, 06:46:00 AM »
here in oz we just lost one of our best bowhunting forums. hackers apparently did something to the server. 100's of websites were lost or partly destroyed. the TBGA (the bowhunters group of australia) forum, it seems is gone forever. all the posts and pics...the lot.

if this happened to tradgang the bowhunting community would stand to lose trad bowhuntings best source of info and the internets best place to hang out.

curse you hackers!
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: i hope tradgang is protected from hackers....
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 06:52:00 AM »
That's some bad news about TBGA, have been trying to get on and couldn't, now I know why.

Offline Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 07:02:00 AM »
ah....that explains it !
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline SveinD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 07:16:00 AM »
Shame, but best of luck building it up again!  :)
Centaur 58" Glass XTL 40@28

~Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand~ Kurt Vonnegut

Offline JohnnyWayne

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 07:18:00 AM »
I'm sure backups are being done so even if they do it wouldn't be a big deal to restore, just aggravating. Unfortunately with internet security there is no magic bullet, all you can do is raise the bar, if someone is smart and determined enough they can clear it. That being said, I'm sure our admins are capable and we should be in safe hands   :)

And all the best to TBGA, I'm sure they will rise back up again  :)
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.
-The Way of Kings

>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 07:20:00 AM »
This is a bad news,but we as hunters are under pressure for sure expecially in Europe!
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 08:29:00 AM »
Bad news, but the Australian archery Ozbow site is still up. I was there about 15 minutes ago.

I hope TG doesn't get hacked. TG is my favorite archery site of them all and I visit 10 archery sites.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 08:33:00 AM »
No worries......backed up.........and back ups are backed up.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline piggy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2011, 08:35:00 AM »
As I understand it and I am no computer pro, With TBGA and hundreds of other sites here the company "distribute IT" was hacked but the hackers also got into their back up so ALL was corrupted and is lost.
Distribute IT did not back up the data elsewhere besides in their own system making it vulnerable.

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2011, 08:36:00 AM »
Way to go Terry, thanks
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2011, 08:44:00 AM »
sorry to hear about tbga's troubles.  bummers.

trad gang is backed up at least twice daily.  the really important thing is that we have our own, proprietary dedicated linux server - we share no other hard or soft resources with the rest of the world.  our mail is handled on a separate, dedicated linux mail server.  we have another "hot spare" linux server at our disposal, should we need it (we use it for the st judes auction).  

we were "penetrated" once, but not one member even felt a residual ripple, the bugs were swiftly disinfected, and the leaking software crack plugged up good.  not to say really bad things can still attempt to happen - one never knows, do one?
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2011, 09:21:00 AM »
Much obliged Rob & Terry for your service & planning. Thanks.

Sorry about the Oz pencilneck PITA w/nothing better to do. Too bad but you'll recover w/so many great contributors there. Best luck.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Jake Diebolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2011, 12:30:00 PM »
"No worries. Backed up, and back ups are backed up."

Now that's my kind of backup!

Offline GO Rogers

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2011, 01:32:00 PM »
As they say in the diving world 1 is none, 2 is 1, 3 is 2 well you catch my drift......Redundancy can be a life saver.
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. TGMM ♥

Offline Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2011, 01:40:00 PM »
Doesn't it just kill you that people with obvious intelligence can't find anything more constructive to do with it than bring misery to others.

I recently got a damn virus or mal-ware that jumped me to odd sites whenever I clicked on an Internet search choice or sometimes even when moving within a site.  Snuck past my McAfee and was a pain to clean up.  I had to reinstall Explorer, uninstall some oddities and clear all my settings and cookies.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2011, 02:33:00 PM »
Originally posted by Stumpkiller:
Doesn't it just kill you that people with obvious intelligence can't find anything more constructive to do with it than bring misery to others.

I recently got a damn virus or mal-ware that jumped me to odd sites whenever I clicked on an Internet search choice or sometimes even when moving within a site.  Snuck past my McAfee and was a pain to clean up.  I had to reinstall Explorer, uninstall some oddities and clear all my settings and cookies.
that's microsoft for ya, they're prime targets for hackers and zombies.  i highly recommend dual booting your microsoft machine with the free  www.linuxmint.com  operating system and use linux for all internet access (email, browser, ftp, etc.).  you still have your ms os and can access all your apps.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Kapellmeister

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2011, 02:58:00 PM »
Originally posted by Rob DiStefano:

Originally posted by Stumpkiller:

that's microsoft for ya, they're prime targets for hackers and zombies.  i highly recommend dual booting your microsoft machine with the free  www.linuxmint.com  operating system and use linux for all internet access (email, browser, ftp, etc.).  you still have your ms os and can access all your apps. [/b]
Excellent advice, Rob!   :thumbsup:
Gene

~ s.D.g. ~

68" Osage Orange Selfbow 55@28
68" Hill Half-Breed 55@28
64" Schafer Silvertip 1pc Longbow 50@28
58" Shrew Classic Hunter 49@28

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2011, 03:24:00 PM »
www.ubuntu.org  is another very dual boot friendly linux distribution.

Protection from hackers is just like protection from russian missiles.  It's an arms race.  What keeps 'em out today isn't anywhere near as effective tomorrow.  

Rob and Terry have got the solution squared.  Backup, backup, backup!  If you don't backup your home PC, go spend 100 bucks on a USB drive and get to it!
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2011, 03:38:00 PM »
Originally posted by Terry Green:
No worries......backed up.........and back ups are backed up.
LOL!   :thumbsup:
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline mmisciag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2011, 04:09:00 PM »
Rob,

While I agree with your suggestion; most users of this site are probably not in to computers enough to make a dual booted machine. I work for an Internet Security Company technically helping companies purchase Firewalls, application gateways and Endpoint security. What folks here have to do is follow common sense.

1. Firewall at the internet with URL filtering
2. Anti Virus and Anti Malware software on the desktop
3. Do not open any attachment unless you know who it is from.
4. Do not blindly follow links in emails
5. Make sure your family follows the rules
6. Back up everything!!!
7. If you are using Windows7, create accounts for all users. Administrator is only for installing software or working on the system.

This will keep the honest people honest and eliminate 80% of issues. I use the 80/20 rule but it works out better then that.

Martin

For the record, I am writing this on RedHat linux Fedora box. Fred Bear would have wanted it this way.  :)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©