3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Deciding on a bow  (Read 612 times)

Offline Brandon Jasper

• Trad Bowhunter
Deciding on a bow
« on: June 27, 2007, 09:00:00 PM »
Well I've been studying up for a while and biding my time by shooting a loner Martin stickbow.  I took the chance to shoot a Martin Savannah and knew after the first arrow it's about time I got my own.

I'm kinda bouncing back and forth between a few choices.
Savannah
Tred Barta bow
Tomahawk SS and Diamond bows
Tomahawk Diamond woodland hunter (just noticed this and had to add it     ;)   )  

The stickbow is a 50# so I'm probably going to stick with 50# at the moment and focus on form over power.

I'm in Washington State and a ground hunter so it needs to be able to take being rained on, muddy, etc.  Though as far north as I am jaunts to Canada and Alaska are quite possible as well.  My chosen targets being deer and hopefully black bear this year with my next goal being a brown bear though I may need more bow for that.

I had someone suggest I go after cougar as well but I have a friend that runs a big cat rescue place and after spending so much time there I don't think I could kill one unless I had to.

I don't mind spending money on a good bow but while I take care of my equipment I have no place for something I have to baby.  Though whatever I get is going to pull double duty at the range as well. After all I can't make friendly jokes about training wheels at the range and not have the bow back me up.      :archer:
Why do I do it the hard way? I like a challenge.

Offline Two Arrows

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Deciding on a bow
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 09:38:00 PM »
I can recommend the Savannah. I haven't had the others you mentioned, so I can't comment on those. I think that finding a used Savannah is actually one of the better buys a guy can find, and you can run across one in the classifieds fairly easy.

Best of luck to you.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 09:39:00 PM »
I assume you want only a longbow.You mention the two Martins, but I would like to ask what other longbows you have tried.

Offline md126

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2007, 11:06:00 PM »
i'd go w/ the savannah for sure.

Offline Mike Burch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2007, 11:13:00 PM »
I'd go with the T-Hawk. The Diamond Series SS is the fastest of the T-Hawk models, if that matters. The Woodland Hunter is a great looking bow. I've had both and both were sure enough shooters.   :thumbsup:  

Mike

Offline Brandon Jasper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2007, 01:06:00 AM »
I've only shot those two.  The only trad bows I really see in the area are recurves and while I've shot a few to try them out the longbows to me are just more fun.

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2007, 02:20:00 AM »
I think there is a Savannah in the classifieds now. Frank
U.S.A. "Ride For The Brand Or Leave."

Offline suttoman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2007, 04:19:00 AM »
Every time the Savannah question comes up I am about the only one with a contrary point of view.  I used to think mine was great until I got a few custom bows.  These were not necessarily big budget bows.  

I don't shoot the S. anymore cause it feels real ordinary when stacked against a good custom.  I did have issues with mine that I have vented here before so I won't go into it again.

Do yourself a favour and shoot something else before you fork out any money on a S.  

Sutto
One hour of life, crowded to the full with glorious action .... is worth whole years of those mean observances of paltry decorum, in which men steal through existence, like sluggish waters through a marsh, without either honor or observation

Offline String Cutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2007, 04:37:00 AM »
I personally would try a few other longbows out... Most bowyers have a try before you buy program. Yellowstone , Wes Wallace, Rivers Edge.ect... And all you have to pay is shipping..... Don't get me wrong... Martins are some fine bows, But for the money nothing beats one hand crafted by an artist.
Fatherhood is the greatest adventure a man can ever take.

Offline suttoman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2007, 04:41:00 AM »
Couldn't have put it better myself 'string cutter'.

Sutto
One hour of life, crowded to the full with glorious action .... is worth whole years of those mean observances of paltry decorum, in which men steal through existence, like sluggish waters through a marsh, without either honor or observation

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2007, 10:50:00 AM »
I agree with String Cutter and suttoman.You really need to try a few first.The only problem is that being new to longbows,it will take you some time to develop an appreciation for what makes a bow BETTER for you. Everyone is a little different.I like mass weight and a positive locater grip.Some like different qualities in a bow than others.

I would suggest buying a used bow at a good price from a TRUSTED seller on the classifieds or a sponsor.That way you can shoot it and try different bows every chance you get.Later you can trade it and not lose the money you would on a new bow.Don't be surprised if what you like now changes a lot by next year

Of the bows you listed I would pick the Tomahawk Diamond.You will not beat the customer service and warranty at 3 Rivers if you buy new.

Offline Brandon Jasper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2007, 11:27:00 AM »
That's the reason I'm asking.  I've heard nothing but praise for the Tomahawk Diamond bows but being fairly new I don't really know exactly what to look for yet.  I'm leaning towards the Tomahawk Diamond Hunter myself.

I'm going about bows the same way I did with pistols for IPSC.  I get a fairly nice stock one that serves my purposes and shot others as I could.  Then when it came to getting my customs I knew exactly what I liked and didn't like.

A  big factor for me is the bow withstanding the elements.  It's been known to rain here for 30+ days straight which makes things muddy and not to mention exposure to salt water from time to time.

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2007, 03:42:00 PM »
I don't think you would have a problem with the Tomahawk especially if it was under warranty.You might want to look at a Widow PL they are sprayed with a marine grade finish.You can try a Widow for the shipping charges.Very fine bow also.

If you buy used the Tomahawk should be around $400 and a used Widow about $600.You might not get the exact specs.you want used but you will get a good deal.

PM me if you decide what you want and need some help looking.I don't have any to sell myself but I might run into a dealer at a shoot and could give you a contact number.

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2007, 03:55:00 PM »
I'm afraid I could not live where raining 30 days in a row was "the norm". I'd be depressed all the time.
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline Mr.Magoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2007, 04:00:00 PM »
First, the Savannah is a nice bow (I have one), but I bought it when they were cheap(er).  At the prices they want now, I'd definitely check out customs like Horne's Archery or Turkey Creek.

For an even better deal, wait until something you like pops-up used.

Offline shortstroke 91

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2007, 06:05:00 PM »
I have a T-hawk diamond ss 62" 45# and it's sure a good shooter, my dad has the same thing but it's the woodland hunter and if I had to go back that's what I would have got. The ss is a little smoother but the back of the limbs are a bright yellow bamboo and the woodland hunter camo is awesome in comparison.
Just my $0.02
shortstroke 91
TBOT Life Member

"BLOOD MAKES THE GRASS GROW"

Offline Brandon Jasper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2007, 04:10:00 AM »
Well I know I said I was leaning towards the Tomahawk bows but after asking around I've decided to go with the Tred Barta Bow 45#  It's study and functional and that's what I'm really looking for at the moment until I've built up enough experience and skill to appreciate the higher priced customs.

Though on a side note on draw lengths.  I can't seem to get a consistent draw length right now and I'm in the area of 27" to 29" so my logic right now is to go with 30" arrows for now and go from there and worry about tuning my arrows when my form gets consistent enough to notice    :knothead:

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2007, 05:44:00 AM »
I have only been in to shooting trad for a year. So not long ago i was in the very same position as you are now, and pretty much looking at the same bows and believe it or not asking just about the same questions. Your picking a 45# bow for a starter is a good idea i went with 50# and i was over bowed, i bought a used Savannah for my first longbow. I was well built and pretty fast but i felt it stacked near my draw length of 27" i have never shot a Barta bow but it looks pretty similar to the savannah. What ever bow you choose you will serve yourself better to buy a used bow. They can be bought real reasonable and if you find you want something else you can recoup your money if you buy new and go to sell it you will lose money. There are always a lot of good used bows for sale on this site and others in my opinion that is the only way to go when your getting started. The best way to do it is to shoot some different bows so you can find the one that feels right to you. Good luck with you search.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2007, 09:19:00 AM »
Shhh, don't anybody say anything about CheckMate....   :thumbsup:
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline String Cutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2007, 10:47:00 AM »
UUUUUUuuummm??? For the $420 you'll spend on that black glass bow , you could buy a really nice custome longbow from yellowstonelongbows.com or As Bob said above Checkmate......
 I find that for myself anyways ... the prettier I think the bow is the better it shoots for me.... As a Very Wise man once said "You might string a turd, and it might shot like a dream. But you still have S**t in you hand..." I prefer pretty.    :goldtooth:
Fatherhood is the greatest adventure a man can ever take.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©