3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Mojam 07 Hatchet bows?  (Read 836 times)

Offline Paul/KS

• Trad Bowhunter
Mojam 07 Hatchet bows?
« on: June 27, 2007, 09:32:00 PM »
Ferret revived last years thread but it got kinda ignored,maybe cause of the "06" in the title.So,I'll start this and see if there is any interest.I've got two partially finished potential entrys and have sent arrows out of both with moderate success.Hackberry and cedar were my choices of bow wood.Anyone else giving this a try at Mojam?

Offline Minuteman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Mojam 07 Hatchet bows?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 07:31:00 AM »
I wish I could be there this year Paul to look at yer entries. You got some B-50 to make a string from? Better get some if ya don't. They may allow linen I can't recall. Hope ya win. Hate missin Mojam!
 Chris
There sure is alot of air around a squirrel...eeyup.

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2007, 08:15:00 AM »
Paul, do you remember who won last year? They are supposed to be running it this year.
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2007, 09:03:00 AM »
Mickey,

I looked up last years threads and all the pics are missing.  No mention of the winners names.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Minuteman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2007, 09:10:00 AM »
I thought it was that Shawn fella, can't remember his last name. Or was that the year before? Man, my memory is going!

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2007, 09:15:00 AM »
Ed ??......First place osage.
Shaun Webb.....Second place osage.
Tim Flood..... Third place hickory.

(I'm guessing on the first place name.)

Offline Paul/KS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2007, 09:47:00 AM »
No Mickey I couldn't remember the names but I see we got the top 3 places listed now.I'm sure we'll have some qualified judges by game time  :)  
Hey Chris,got the computer workin again I see.Sure going to miss ya Bud.Yep,got some B-50 and beeswax and managed to make a string,of course,cutting string with a hatchet ain't as easy as it may sound.  "[dntthnk]"  
Note to contestants:Don't try to catch a falling hatchet...  :eek:

Offline Minuteman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2007, 09:58:00 AM »
Sharp, falling items definitely have the right of way, Paul!
 I thought Shaun Webb was the winner.

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2007, 10:52:00 AM »
Posted by Ferret:
Connie sure scared them off, we only had 3 entries this year. Connies bow might have had some competition if she had submitted hers this year. Can't remember the name of the fella who won, Ed something I think, but he had a nice nice osage bow with knots all over the back, high crown. Bow had great cast. Shaun Webb had another osage bow that made it again difficult to pick the winner. They were really close. Shauns was a couple pounds lighter, had good cast and was definitly smooth to shoot and finished second.Tim Flood had a backwards hickory D bow that had several cracks and actually pulled a splinter on the judges first draw. The "tic" was audible even to the crowd. We were scared to pull it. Then Tim took his thumbnail and pulled off the splinter and the tiller actually improved and it could then be pulled a full 28", although it lost some weight in the process.Weirdest thing I've ever seen. Tim finished 3rd.

We also did something different this year that I had been thinking about for several years. We had the competitors come up and shoot each other's bows. Kinda give them an idea of what we see and feel while judging.

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=94;t=000021;p=4#000052

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2007, 11:38:00 AM »
Watch out for sharp draw knifes to.
Still have the scar to show for it,It's a good way to remember Mojam 06.  :)  

Good luck Paul,Sure going to miss seeing everybody.

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline Paul/KS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2007, 02:35:00 PM »
Ouch Tracy,I remember that...this year I'll be making sure to have the first aid kit in an obvious spot and have an extra tube of super glue on hand as well.
Wish ya could be there this year...

Offline Minuteman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2007, 03:13:00 PM »
Yup . You fellers gotta watch out for me when I get "great" ideas about how to do stuff with a draw knife, epecially when somebody else is holding the dern thing.
 That still makes me feel bad, sorry Tracy. If that thing ad been any sharper you woulda lost a foot! Good thing rocdoc was there with his cya, huh!

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2007, 03:31:00 PM »
Dang didn't know about all you bleeders last year. Be careful with sharp stuff will ya?

Haven't heard from last years winner whoever Ed is, so we may have to wing it this year.
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline Paul/KS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2007, 06:18:00 PM »
Yep,bandaids were in short supply at the teepee for awhile on Saturday.They were giving the knappers a run for their money...lol.
"Winging it" sounds like a plan to me Mickey.It's all fun and a good challenge.Puts ya in a different mindset building a bow with a simple tool like a hatchet.

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2007, 07:04:00 AM »
Maybe we can talk Mike and Connie into running it as they have the most experience   :bigsmyl:    :biglaugh:

Offline Paul/KS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2007, 11:19:00 AM »
BOY! Now that will be an intimidating team of judges....  :eek:

Offline Paul/KS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2007, 09:47:00 PM »
I finished the string for the hackberry bow today and took it and the cedar bow for a test drive this evening.Had a bit of grain pop on the back of the hackberry but shot a dozen arrows and it seems ok.The cedar is a simple ELBish style with a couple knots but it shoots.Threw an arrow about 80 yards without trying  :)  actually,I overshot my target block...ooops.Not sure which one I'll enter,probably the one that survives the test shooting....

Online woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2007, 02:19:00 PM »
Does anyone use maple for bow wood????? I've got a bunch of it around the house that could use some "thinning out"!!!!! Some of it's REAL straight with almost no limbs,I just might give this "hatchet bow" thing a try.....
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2007, 02:22:00 PM »
chucker..I've made bows from Maple, but species of Maple is important. There are hard maples and soft maples. All the sugary maples are soft if I'm remembering right. Rock maple is hard (hence the name)

Online woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2007, 02:43:00 PM »
Ahhhhh NUTS!!!!! They're all Swamp Maples.....

I was looking for a good reason to get off my Duff and go cut them LOL
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©