3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Small Grips...  (Read 502 times)

Offline Cambow

• Trad Bowhunter
Small Grips...
« on: June 24, 2011, 04:19:00 PM »
Is it just me or do some of the best bows out there have extremely small grips? I love the way the LaClaire Shrews, The Toelke Whips etc, etc. shoot... and I love the shape of the grips. But they seem awful small to me?

Does any one else feel like they should beef the sizes up... or am I out to lunch. Also... is there some advantage to these smaller grips that I am unaware of that helps performance...??

I would love to hear everyone's thoughts...
- CAMBOW
   Stick Bendin' - Shaft Chuckin' - Trad Junkie...

Offline Running Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Small Grips...
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 04:38:00 PM »
The small grip on the ACS was the reason I traded it off. I had a Toelke whip and agree the grip on it was on the small side as well. I have since went back to all recurves and shoot much better with greater consistency.

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 04:42:00 PM »
Personally, I think most people would be much more consistent with smaller grips.  Take a look a the grips on Howard Hill's bows.  Though they are deep from belly to back, they are extremely narrow compared to todays bows.  In my mind that translates to reduced torque, particularly if you shoot a D bow with some 'heel' in your hold as you should.  I could be all wet too.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 04:47:00 PM »
I like small grips on a recurve because I have small hands.

One of the selling points to buying a Blacktail recurve is if you send a paper tracing of your bow hand with the order form, Norm will make the grip fit your hand size.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 04:56:00 PM »
i love small grips.    :)  Most of the custom bowyers will build the grip to suit you as Night Wing stated above with the Blacktails.
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Cambow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 04:59:00 PM »
Maybe I should quit buying used bows then...  :)  It seems that the last few bows I've owned all have these "tiny" grips. i can't believe how small the grip is on the Super Shrew I just purchased.

Love the way it shoots... but I would like it more if the grip were a bit larger... Just sayin'
- CAMBOW

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011, 05:30:00 PM »
If you look at tournament archers, dare I say it, who shoot compounds the grips are narrow. This is so the bow sits in the "pocket". I just bought a Whip and I find that it seats in the same place everytime. It is a very consistant grip. The other thing about the Whip is the flat area that the meaty part of your thumb rests on...good design.
As for a recurve it is in my humble opinion that the Blacktail's have a great recurve grip! The best. But you know these grips have come about because these bowyers are willing to listen to input from their customers. They have refined the design. There are some that I think just build a grip the same old way because that is the way they have always done it and they don't want to change. As well as there are those of us who have always chosen a certain bow or grip and don't want to change...if it is for the better. We can get in a rut. I didn't realize this about my shooting until I went into a clinic with an open mind. Boy, did I learn some things!
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2011, 05:47:00 PM »
I prefer small grips. In fact, I just sold a brand new Bear TD Riser because the grip was too thick from face to back. The riser was very well made and I shot it fine. I just like to get my hand around the throat a bit more. The Supreme and the Mags (Bears)are the best of the TD models for my tastes.

Offline Greyfox54

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2011, 05:53:00 PM »
I'm about average size 5'-11" and weigh 220 lbs. I use a Bigshot glove size XL and have to stretch it to break it in that said I prefer small grips as I am a mason contractor and for 40 years now all the tools I use have small grips , sledge hammers , shovels , trowels , hammers etc. Big grips feel very awkward to me . I think it's all what you get used to .
Greyfox54

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2011, 06:10:00 PM »
I shot a long time at a high level with the wheel bows and the first thing I would do when getting a bow from the sponsor was take the grip off.  I want the pressure point to be on the life line and no where else.  If you get a chance go to one of Rod's shooting clinics.  I think you will then understand the whys of small grips.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Cambow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2011, 06:13:00 PM »
Has anybody ever heard of these smaller grips on loongbows being a strength issue. I guess I am so used to the bigger grips an a few of the bows I have shot for years... that it kinda scares me too.

I look at the Shrew I just purchased used and I say to myself..."is that enough wood to keep this thing together?" But I haven;t heard a single negative thing about them, the Griffin, the centaur, or the Toelke. I guess it's just something I need to get used to. Most of the comments are in favor of the smaller grips...
- CAMBOW

Offline BUCKY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2011, 06:28:00 PM »
Don't forget that grip will "fatten up" when you put gloves on.If you start with a fat grip it might feel that you can't get a good grip when you have the glove on.

Offline BUCKY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2011, 06:31:00 PM »
One more thing,you could beef it up by adding a leather or rubber grip.

Offline Cambow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2011, 06:41:00 PM »
Yeah.. I forget that everyone doesn't live n Arizona and many of you guys wear gloves when hunting... It is 110 degrees where I live right now... it's brutal man! It's hard to believe these desert Mule Deer even live here!
- CAMBOW

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2011, 07:12:00 PM »
Exactly Wingnut.    :thumbsup:
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2011, 08:26:00 PM »
I like a smaller grip myself,I feel it is harder to torque,personal preference.

Offline Rick Richard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2011, 08:36:00 PM »
A smaller grip that positions the hand perfectly every time is why I purchased a Hoots bow.  I don't think there is another grip out there like it.

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2011, 09:57:00 PM »
Toelke's recurves are somewhat fat...at least fatter than the whips. It settles into my hand nicely....I have medium sized hands.

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2011, 10:27:00 AM »
Originally posted by Cambow:
[QB] Has anybody ever heard of these smaller grips on loongbows being a strength issue. I guess I am so used to the bigger grips an a few of the bows I have shot for years... that it kinda scares me too.

Cambow,
  Very good question because I also was concerned about the smaller grips not having much wood "But" I looked into a riser wood that had good strength and checked out a wood strength website to find the strength in woods...I went with Ziricote in my little Hoots recurve cause it had a good rateing in the strength and hardness compared to other woods but this depends on what websites you look it up in...I can't remember where I got that imfo but I'm sure you can look it up...Also Lee Hoots explained something to me about the "S' wave he can add on and a few other people have also explained this to me that some accents actually will make a riser much stronger in those little grips...It not only looks good but serves a purpose and using different wood combonations with an accent seperating can really make a bow stronger in the grip...John Maus from Lonewolf bows is also very knowledgeable as a bowyer and will explain in detail why he puts a lot of thought in every part of his bows...I have a lonewolf autumn storm and his risers are somewhat small as well...These guys have done there homework and we can rest well knowing most of these small grip bows are built to last many hunts...God Bless, Keefer's <")))><

Offline Frisky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2011, 03:53:00 PM »
The best grip I've come across is the #2 Bear grip in hard plastic. It was made for the Polar compound but fits the 76er riser perfectly.

Joe

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©